+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ruby Sanctum: Video Guide for Trash and Mini-Bosses

One thing I really want to re-emphasize because I'm sure it will be overlooked.

Druids do not forget that you have Soothe Animal!

The trash packs have a very large aggro range. If and when you want to CC, make sure to use Soothe first to avoid pulling prior to your hibernate cast. Way too many druids in the game simply have never used this ability before.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thanks, Quin. Updated the first post with that. I'll probably put some other things in the first post as well.

Great guide Lulia

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Yes, although CCing them isn't of a great deal of value because they will pile up very fast. You can CC one while you kill another but you will want to still make sure you clear out an entire wave before the next spawns. I'm pretty sure at one point I tried to hibernate one of them.
    That's what I meant. CC one while the raid nukes the other, then kill the hibernated one.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CatabriOnEarthen View Post
    That's what I meant. CC one while the raid nukes the other, then kill the hibernated one.
    Keep in mind, delaying killing it doesn't really buy you much overall. You can't really afford the luxury because you will fall behind on adds.

However... as an addendum to your train of thought. Something you may want to experiment with is CCing one side until the next wave spawns then switch which side you CC. In 10 man this looks like.

Kill the one on the right, CC the one on the left.
    Next wave, kill both on the left, CC the new one on the right.
    Third wave, kill both on the right, CC the new one on the left.

In this style you would always have CC on one side while DPS is focused solely on one side (less movement for melee DPS that may help on them). This could also be adopted in 25 man except at double the scale. 2 CCs on one side while you kill the other side. Then you wait for the next wave and kill all 4 on the side that were CCed while the 2 on the side that was killed the time before is CCed.

That would be the method I would take with CC if I were to use it. However, I would recommend overall if you can do it without CC, do it without. Dead mobs deal no damage. The sooner you kill it, the less time you have to deal with it. This is why boss fights become more and more trivial as DPS increases, because there is simply less time for you to have to survive.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Are the adds from the final mini-boss ranged or melee? Can they be death gripped? What's the timer on their spawns?

What about... (and this is primarily for 10 man)

v ------ w -- x -- y -- z

v = spawn of adds
    w = boss/tanks/melee
    x = healers
    y = ranged
    z = spawn of adds

The left side adds wander over and get cleaved down by melee (or get DG'ed by DK tanks).

The right side adds get nuked by the ranged.

The adds are ranged, but can and will melee if silenced or interrupted. That setup is fine, Felycitas. The point of the one in the video is to minimize add aggro though, and it does do that fairly effectively. But, as was mentioned, add aggro isn't a major issue, so alternative setups are fine as well if they help you kill the adds quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    There is water near the drake as well. I know the water has no impact on the AoE fire damage in the encounter as I was able to test that myself in one of the three times I went through, but I never got picked for conflag and couldn't ever figure out if water had some impact on that mechanic. Has anyone tried that? It seems odd for there to be water next to a fire boss (ala Ignis) and not have some function.
    I confirmed that the water has no impact on any of the drake's abilities, it is purely there for decoration I guess, that and so druids can get conflaged in Aquatic Form.

On a different note, ranged can still hit the boss while in the air from a certain location on land or if they were in the water. Though since it isn't a DPS race it isn't really worth deviating much from the basic methodology.

I posted this on the discussion about Halion himself, but I'm reposting here. This is how my guild handled the mini-bosses. On trash what we did was have one tank pull the group, have the OT taunt and bring away the casters (Invokers I think?) and single-target burn them down, then burn the melee guys down. When we got to the pack with the Commander, we CCed the commander and kept him CCed while we handled the adds as above.

Baltharus: We pulled him to the large open area south of where he starts (down the path I mean, so we would have killed the trash there already). The OT stood at maximum taunt range away, going towards the portal, while the MT kept him facing the wall back there. Everyone else was spread out behind him. The OT taunted him the minute he did his whirlwind thing so he'd run straight at the OT and not hit anyone else. When there was a clone, both tanks would basically switch whatever Baltharus they would be tanking whenever one would do a whirlwind (e.g. if I was tanking the real one, and the clone did a whirlwind, I would taunt the clone and the OT would taunt the real one). Obviously all DPS was on the real one (marked by a skull) at all times.

Saviana: Tanked her facing the pool of water, and that was really it, just people who were marked had to run away. Easiest of the three IMO. I'm not sure if she resets aggro after she flies up so just to be safe I would taunt+Avenger's Shield to make sure I picked her back up.

Zarithrian: Hardest of the three IMO. We basically had one tank on the boss, one to pick up the adds which proved VERY hard since one comes from each end of the area, and both are casters so they don't have to come near you. We had a bit of trouble with the taunting off stuff since the tank on Zarithrian would have to AOE to pick up the casters, and the tank on the adds would have to break them to run to Zarithrian. We managed to do it but it was very messy, and I'd appreciate any better tips

Quote Originally Posted by obiwayne View Post
    Baltharus: We pulled him to the large open area south of where he starts (down the path I mean, so we would have killed the trash there already). The OT stood at maximum taunt range away, going towards the portal, while the MT kept him facing the wall back there. Everyone else was spread out behind him. The OT taunted him the minute he did his whirlwind thing so he'd run straight at the OT and not hit anyone else. When there was a clone, both tanks would basically switch whatever Baltharus they would be tanking whenever one would do a whirlwind (e.g. if I was tanking the real one, and the clone did a whirlwind, I would taunt the clone and the OT would taunt the real one). Obviously all DPS was on the real one (marked by a skull) at all times.
    It's certainly a way of doing it, but I wouldn't trust pug tanks with that sort of coordination. If heals are decent and your tanks pop cooldowns when they can on Blade Tempest, it really shouldn't be much of an issue though. By far the most difficult portion of this fight is ensuring your OT is able to pick up the clone before it aggros onto and wipes out a healer. But, so long as the OT is positioned to not be knocked back, they should be able to react quick enough and pick it up before it goes to a healer. It helps if your healers are at max range.

Saviana: Tanked her facing the pool of water, and that was really it, just people who were marked had to run away. Easiest of the three IMO. I'm not sure if she resets aggro after she flies up so just to be safe I would taunt+Avenger's Shield to make sure I picked her back up.
    She doesn't reset aggro unless your tank is conflagged, so there's no real need to taunt her when she comes back. Just have your OT ready to taunt her if you get conflagged.

Zarithrian: Hardest of the three IMO. We basically had one tank on the boss, one to pick up the adds which proved VERY hard since one comes from each end of the area, and both are casters so they don't have to come near you. We had a bit of trouble with the taunting off stuff since the tank on Zarithrian would have to AOE to pick up the casters, and the tank on the adds would have to break them to run to Zarithrian. We managed to do it but it was very messy, and I'd appreciate any better tips
    If you use the positioning shown in the video, you should be able to manage his adds just fine. They go down quick if you assign a few good DPS (preferably ranged) to burn them down. They won't get much time on the boss, but so long as you have other DPS focused on the boss (usually melee) you'll get him down. As you get to the last set of adds or two, you can usually just focus on burning him down.

I posted a new mix of the video which has softer background music, and cuts off sooner after Saviana dies, moving to the Zarithrian encounter.

There is one thing I'd like to add to this excellent guide; it's been my experience that Enervating Brand also increases Baltharus' own attacks by the same percentage as it reduces whoever it's cast on, therefore it's IMPERATIVE that NOBODY is within 12 yards of anyone else when they have it; this becomes very annoying when he uses it on the tank (and he used it quite a bit I've seen) as your melee basically HAS to stay there to deal consistent damage to him. Especially on 25 man, his damage output becomes ridiculous and he can easily wipe the raid in short order. On 10 man, if you have geared enough healers you can simply heal through it without much trouble, but you cannot on 25 man as Baltharus hits like a truck even on plate, and if he's being Enervated then one of his whirlwind attacks is enough to destroy the tank.

You basically just have to heal through his whirlwind; although in my previous post I outlined an alternate strategy we tried once, since then we've tried similar to the method shown here, with one tank tanking him up against the tree , ranged spread out away and melee behind him.

Wow good guide for the examination of a dustbin that many people are not in this garbage. Well done "I am sure that will help millions of people. I'm so happy, there will be more videos! You have a variety. We went last night one-shot RS Warborn and Enrage. If Miss tank added communication for the mini three, but we have the second test.

+ Reply to Thread