+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catching up ='(

Catching up ='(

Been out of the loop since last July (2009), been deployed to Afghanistan for the past year and unable to play WoW.

Have many toons but the one I'm sticking with is a Feral Cat / Feral Bear NE Druid, who's gear is currently all cat but could be regemmed/chanted for bear with the same gear basically minus rings and trinks and stuff - but i'm thinking i'd rather just put together an all new set of gear for the bear spec instead of having to switch the chants and gems all the time).

Only problem is, I know how it is with all the guilds and whatnot, everyone wants you to already have done the raids before, and already have awesome gear, and I'm behind the power curve, my gear score is only like mid 4k's range, and the last raid (which was the most current at the time) I did was Ulduar (and not even on the druid, so I can't link the acheivement in trade or anything lol. the druid didn't get a lot of play but on my other toons i've cleared naxx, sarth, maly, vault, uld - all i've done on the actual druid himself is maly). I've managed to squeeze in a couple heroics during the middle of the deployment and buy myself some of the higher end LW gear and stuff to kind of not be so undergeared and also ran the new instances and got some drops from the ICC Heroics. Also bought some triumph gear, so I'm kind of catching up. Just got a battered hilt so gotta do the questline for that and get myself the lightborn spire. I'm a boss tank and even more boss cat and I certainly know WTF I'm doing when it comes to Feral druids (even in my trash gear I'm still top DPS in all the heroics when running in cat form - bring the player, not the gear) but I'm at the disadvantage of being out of the mix for so long.

Point is, how do you go about getting into the new raids and stuff when everyone is so hellbent on gear scores and linking achievements saying you've already done the raid and everything else? Not to mention I don't even know any of the new fights lol I'd have to watch the videos and study up to tank them, or run them a few times on my resto spec first before going to tank them. I mean I'd go through all the old raids again and grab up some gear and stuff and THEN do the new raids, but problem is, no one wants to run the old crap anymore - myself included, lol.

Just curious how you guys get yourself into raids and whatnot when at the disadvantage of having a new alt or something, or in my case lack of play time due to military deployment.
    Last edited by kungfugrip; 07-26-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Linking the achievement is something you can get around. I've had more than one story of some guy calling for linked achievements and my buddies link that achievement....despite the fact that they haven't achieved it yet....and they get an invite. There are in fact some people who don't actually CHECK achievements. Futhermore if you're more than geared for it and they whine about it, check THEIR achievements and see if they have it. If they don't, you can always mention it in trade right after he spams again looking for people. That either earns you their ire or a real quick raid invite.

Heroics are basically the order of the day, I'm sad to say. You may have the gear to do lower-end content, but people these days basically only have eyes for ICC. Depending on your server it can be near impossible to do anything but that, the weekly, or Ruby Sanctum. MAYBE a ToGC.

Sadly, the only real option is grind your way to absurd amounts of triumph badges. Preferably the...think it's 75 that you'd need for the 245 shoulders, and then do it again for the 245 helm depending on your Tier 9 set bonuses. Make sure to try and do your weekly for the extra triumph and frost, and just keep on pluggin' away at it. It may take you a few weeks up to a month to get yourself geared properly. But you at least have the advantage of having previous tiers of raiding-gear on your side. Some things like trinkets and rings can be skipped if absolutely required. Especially these days when tanking tends to depend on a big health pool over avoidance. (thank you Chill of the Throne)

Bottom line: Heroics....lots and lots of heroics, sadly.
    "I don't have a dream, so I protect the dreams of others."~Inui Takumi

actually, it may be a good time to come back.
    when cata releases very few will have the achievements. most gear will be replaced lvling to 85. it will kind of level the playing field for you.
    until then grind the heroics to up your gear a bit, but i won't worry about T10 stuff...
    just get your gear in decent shape for the race to 85.

Doc.

when the hell is cataclysm ever going to release though? it keeps getting pushed back and pushed back. i figured it would already be out by now but it's not lol.

i suppose i'll just go around working on my explorer title since that will prob go away when they add the flying mounts, and also some reps and stuff, maybe bloodsail admiral or something and just queue heroics while i do those things. and the weeklies.

Right now is actually a good time to join a guild; many raiders are taking a break until cataclysm and guilds are getting desperate for recruits to fill their roster. You would be surprised that good guilds are way more lenient on gear requirements than pugs, if you have the skills they need they can get you the gear. Also restoration druids are one of the least gear dependent specs out there, I healed all of 25 ICC without problems with not a single piece of ICC gear (edit: this was even before the ICC buff had come out, should be even easier now with +30% healing).

Good luck and welcome back.

You can get a 5k GS just by running heroics. Get your bear spec finalized then just start tanking a ton of randoms. Once you've got your base gear handled then you should be able to find either a guild or a pug raid to run with without too much difficulty.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Quote Originally Posted by Shiesty View Post
    Point is, how do you go about getting into the new raids and stuff when everyone is so hellbent on gear scores and linking achievements saying you've already done the raid and everything else? Not to mention I don't even know any of the new fights lol I'd have to watch the videos and study up to tank them, or run them a few times on my resto spec first before going to tank them.
    You answered your own question in there.

Yes, easier on yourself to DPS or heal the fights before trying to tank them.

Also easier to slip around that GS requirement as a healer.

You wait till the "LF RAID HEALER, 5.5k GS" guy has been searching in vain for a bit, then hit him up. At that point, they're wanting to start and kill stuff. They'll take you or risk having people drop out of boredom.

And... if you look long enough, you do sometimes find people with saner GS requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiesty View Post
    when the hell is cataclysm ever going to release though? it keeps getting pushed back and pushed back. i figured it would already be out by now but it's not lol.

i suppose i'll just go around working on my explorer title since that will prob go away when they add the flying mounts, and also some reps and stuff, maybe bloodsail admiral or something and just queue heroics while i do those things. and the weeklies.
    It wont come out for quite a few months so if your waiting for it you will get bored real fast. Just start by farming heroics and getting your t9/badge gear. While your doing that you can also be doing the weekly, voa 10/25 and toc 10/25. If your server is anything like mine you can find 2-3 groups a day doing this. In about 1-2 weeks you can easily be geared enough for icc10.

Farm heroics, but that can take a while.

Start your own raids. There are plenty of lower level runs (ToC, VoA, Ony, Sarth, Maly 10.) Design your raid as to best maximize the loot will fall to you due to lack of competition. Repeat the same thing for the same 25m runs. If you are good at your class, you'll create a nice little reputation for yourself and will in turn get asked to tank as soon as you log in.

Oh, and there is also buying gear if you have the gold

personally i hate the idea of stacking a raid "to best maximize the loot"....

Doc

personally i hate the idea of stacking a raid "to best maximize the loot"....

Doc

Farming heroics is the way to go, especially if you go bear, instant dungeon queues makes a huge difference. Getting honor from battlegrounds is another way, an easy source of epic gems and the season 8 PvP gears are ok for bear tanking *grumbles about druid T1 staff with agi*. The high ilvl on pvp gears is good for those GS monkeys too.

well, if you dont have the GS/ achi to join a PUG and cant get into a ICC guild because of the catch 22 that you dont meet their equipment requirements, one other option that you can consider is farm as much gold as you can, and join a GDKP icc run. They run them quite often on my server and, for the right price, the lack of achievements and GDKP will be overlooked.
    Bingo, you get your achi, learn the fights and score some loot in the process.

+ Reply to Thread