+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing low level (43ish) dungeons

Healing low level (43ish) dungeons

Hitting 40 and getting dual spec solved 99% of my mana regen issues. Healing in feral was fun, made for quicker dungeons, but ouch mana was hard to come by. I hit 40, got innervate, dual-spec, and bazammo: druid healing = easy. Rejuv/Regrowth for large packs, commence to hurricane, hit Swiftmend and Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch for large instant heals.

Am I doing it right? Tank doesn't die, occasionally I let warlocks who lifetap themselves into oblivion die--but who doesn't? I DO tell 'locks to tap when they have dots running. Sometimes I even have enough mana to innervate the mages whose evocate is still on CD.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

As long as you're not running OOM and nobody is dying, you're doing it right IMO. Mana efficiency is most important at these kinds of levels, so keeping hots rolling as needed and being ready to direct heal when necessary is good

Generally when I'm healing on my priest I keep away from doing any DPS and try to be as mana effecient as possible. I do only play with a BoA geared Paladin "Tank" who needs little healing so I dont find it much of an issue go through some dungeons without taking a mana break. Something akin to how ICC geared players may go through a WOTLK Heroic. It's probably not good for your group, or the warlocks blood pressure, to let him die from tapping himself but he should also be self-aware. Generally if your tank has aggro and no ones dead your doing a good job, no real need to worry too much about getting the max from your character at this point, mostly because the people your playing with wont be even close half the time.

I'm not sure what your question is. Healing is rarely an epeen meter. Either people die or they don't, if they don't die there is no brownie points for healing more or less. DPS meters on the other hand, are epeen meters because you can kill things, or kill things faster with more dps. Doesn't work that way with tanking or healing (unless you are DPSing while healing, but that is for 80 heroic instances).

Unfortunately, you can only tell what you are doing wrong when you fail. If you haven't failed, we can't tell you where you are going wrong unless we had combat parses of your level 43 toon.

I was just surprised how.....easy it seems to be. Once in a while, when the tank decides to pull 1/3 of Cathedral it gets interesting. More interesting when he won't let me mana back up. (Ok, I was sub-40 at the time, feral specced, and he was a royal asshat about it.) But all in all, it's press 2, press 3, take a nap till the next pull.

Quote Originally Posted by VampyrByte View Post
    Generally when I'm healing on my priest I keep away from doing any DPS and try to be as mana effecient as possible. I do only play with a BoA geared Paladin "Tank" who needs little healing so I dont find it much of an issue go through some dungeons without taking a mana break. Something akin to how ICC geared players may go through a WOTLK Heroic. It's probably not good for your group, or the warlocks blood pressure, to let him die from tapping himself but he should also be self-aware. Generally if your tank has aggro and no ones dead your doing a good job, no real need to worry too much about getting the max from your character at this point, mostly because the people your playing with wont be even close half the time.
    On a priest, DPSing as a healer is easy!

/shoot

Costs no mana! I bind it to my mouse button 4 and just shoot away when not healing

to hell with innervating mages, save that for your self for thoes pulls that turn into chain pulls, and for the lock issue, sounds like you warned them fairly, but over all sounds like you got the idea.

with my shammy alt i try and kill totems and if a mob is running i might try and finish it off out of bordom,

Healing early on is meant to be easy. Things in the early instances aren't going to kill anyone in one hit. If you pull aggro as a healer it isn't much different than if you were soloing quests out in the outside world. Instance trash for the most part doesn't do significantly more damage than the random mobs you see out in the world, the main difference is they have more health because they are meant to be killed by 5 people instead of 1.

If you find yourself wanting to DPS more, spec balance instead. You can heal all of the classic instances as balance no problem. I was healing in Blackwing Lair as a balance druid prior to the addition of Moonkin Form. I also healed in Ahn'Qiraj and Naxxramas in classic. Back then the majority of your healing came out of gear, talents didn't have as big of an impact as they do now. However even considering talents are stronger now, the instances are tuned to be easy enough that you don't need those talents anyway.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I dont se whats so hard to keep a rejuv(druid)riptide(shammy)renew(priest) on the "poor" locks its not like healing is hard these days and theyre dps is more worth than youre dps so better use mana on them makes the run go faster. (more xp/h)
    Also remember resing is a lot more mana intensive than keeping them alive normaly slowing the run even more down.
    So IŽd say if you can manage to keep em up do it, if they still die its there fault. And if you realy need to qq... well qq to the wow gods you gained more xp/h keeping them up, than having to stop and ress them then maybe drink and lett them drink and ppl rebuff before going again.
    Last edited by Mmiz; 07-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmiz View Post
    I dont se whats so hard to keep a rejuv(druid)riptide(shammy)renew(priest) on the "poor" locks its not like healing is hard these days and theyre dps is more worth than youre dps so better use mana on them makes the run go faster. (more xp/h)
    Also remember resing is a lot more mana intensive than keeping them alive normaly slowing the run even more down.
    So IŽd say if you can manage to keep em up do it, if they still die its there fault. And if you realy need to qq... well qq to the wow gods you gained more xp/h keeping them up, than having to stop and ress them then maybe drink and lett them drink and ppl rebuff before going again.
    I do hit rejuv on warlocks. 'Locks appear to come in 3 flavors: 1. those afraid of Lifetap. These I tell to tap it up (especially when I have tons of mana). 2. Those who tap sensibly, they don't tap to almost dead as the tank is pulling more than 3 packs, they tap between pulls so that by the time we have reached the next pull, they are about full from the rejuv.

And then there is the last type. The ones that will burn every lick of their mana tap until they are almost dead and expect me to fill them up RIGHT NAO! This type of warlock generally waits until the tank is running head first into the next pack, and enters combat with about 10 health, rejuv or no, he pops some intense spell on a mob the tank is not actively building threat on, and then proceeds to curse the healer and then the tank when he dies. THESE, I let die. THEY can drink just as easily as I can. *I* have buffs to toss around, warlocks don't. The "I can tap and the healer just will have to heal it" mentality needs to stop. The "Oh, the healer has no mana, it's a great tap to now, cuz then I can yell at them when I die" mentality needs to stop. I've seen both. Had party members back me up when I explain to the "poor warlock" why I did not heal them and why I will rez them ONCE (for that kind of stupidity). If the tank has stopped and said "mana", then there is no reason for a warlock to tap to dead. Especially if the mage and the spriest are drinking too.

I newer let annyone die if I can help it but left to chose who lives the nub lock taping putting them in a bad spot getts lower prio when that is needed ofc(just saying if you can handle to keep them alive from there stupidety its faster for you than argue with them.. they wont understand reasoning annyway)

oh I might lett a cocky tank friend die to putt him down a notch if he keeps pulling without regards to mana bars at all

+ Reply to Thread