+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild members wont sign up to guild site

Guild website & members

Hey guys I have a problem that's been really bothering me for a little while now. We have a really awesome group of players in our guild who all know their classes very well and are pretty bright but when it comes to boss strategies its like pulling teeth. Only a couple of them bothered signing up to our forum and the rest seem to ignore it although Ive already stated that in order to get an invite they need to read our strategies on our forum and reply in the thread (originally proposed by ciderhelm). Im at a bit of a loss here since I don't want to keep nagging these people to sign up but I also know that come hardmodes in icc we'll be in a terrible position having to explain almost everything for half the raid time. How would you guys approach this situation? I should also point out that we're a 10 man guild and we're fairly tight knit so just going out and booting players who don't comply probably wont go over to well. Any advice?
    Last edited by chel-; 07-02-2010 at 08:26 PM.

It's not realistic to expect that everyone has strategies memorized and you always need to go over some of the key things before first attempts. Let's be honest, there's a lot of different spells going on in each fight and explaining them all in detail leads into a huge wall-of-text that no one likes to read, plus majority of those abilities don't concern all the players anyways.

Another thing I want to touch on is your forums. Forums are supposed to be an extension of your community and if your players are not using it to interact with each other, they are probably not going to visit it just to read boss guide that's been copy/pasted from somewhere else. Instead of maintaining a strategy catalog, why not try interactive think-tank approach where you go over couple things you didn't have time to figure out during the raid and talk amongst each other on how to fix them? Although this can be hard if you don't have enough people in guild to keep forums alive.
    Last edited by Crommi; 07-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Thanks for replying Crommi. I definitely don't expect people to remember every last detail of the fight but at the same time there are those who haven't even watched the tank-spot videos which are readily available and require no reading at all. Even if we were to go with a think-tank approach I don't see how that would get people to the forum. What I imagine will end up happening is that once we get further into content we'll need to explain the fights as we go which will take a huge amount of time, and in the long run simply isn't practical considering we're planning on going for realm firsts come cataclysm.

You need to move stuff onto the forums that people are going to want/need to read.

Move raid signups there, put kill screenshots, link DPS meters, start discussions on topics of general interest...

Advertise it ruthlessly in guild chat/MotD messages, in raids and on vent. 'I just posted a new idea about fight X I want to try next week on the forums, take a look and tell me what you think'.

Make it so people want to know whats going on in there People are social animals - if you can start to get them reading stuff, it won't be too long before they start to want to post/get involved.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

It's no surprise: there's a strong correlation between successful guilds and high guild forum usage. The top 100 guilds have their members checking the forums every day, sometimes more. It's worth making it a requirement for raiding that you check the forums on a daily basis.

As mentioned, you need to move everything that's important onto the forums. When you get to a boss, pull him under the assumption that everyone read the strategy. Ask people that you think are zoning out what they're doing on the fight. Make sure that it's publicly embarrassing when someone hasn't read required material.

Other critical things can go onto the forums too. Post things that require a response. We try to post something every two weeks that have some sort of "response required." To give a quick example, we required everyone to post their gear needs on the forums in an effort to more quickly evaluate who needs what bosses. If you didn't post, you would likely get sat for bosses you need. Next Friday, post on the forums "gear needs thread." Don't put it in the guild motd. Swap people aggressive for fights that you think they might need if they haven't posted. You'll get the response "but I need that boss," and you can reply back "really? why didn't you post it on the forums? Why don't you go post now while we kill this boss?" They'll get the message very quick.

Thank you for the replies guys, really helpful!

Blacksen I'm really enjoying your blog and your post is exactly why I'm pushing for people to get on the website. I wont publicly embarrass anyone but I understand the motive behind it and I agree with it completely.

I think putting raid signups on the forum would be a big step. Especially if you let your normally benched players get spots because they signed up and the normal raiders who feel guaranteed a spot didn't.

One of the things in my guild that promotes Website Activity is this:
    My guild gives DKP for doing a Random Daily Heroic run (at most once a week) with at least 3 members, one of which MUST be a trial.
    They have to post a screenshot of the RDH group in the DKP thread to be eligible for points.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiur View Post
    My guild gives DKP for doing a Random Daily Heroic run (at most once a week) with at least 3 members, one of which MUST be a trial.
    They have to post a screenshot of the RDH group in the DKP thread to be eligible for points.
    This is one of the most pro-active things a guild can do. Love it. I wish more would follow this example. Not only are you getting more website activity, but your strengthening inner guild relations. Too many guilds forget they have members outside of there "core" raiders.

We tried to do the signups by means of website but it failed.
    I know have about 100 out of 300 members who signed up on the website.
    i dont know .. just think people dont like to go on website's and forums and stuff.

Sahell

As we have tried the signup on website calendar many times and it failed, we r now using group calendar 5, and that seems to work well
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiur View Post
    God i love that idea, ill use it =)

Cheers ! =)

+ Reply to Thread