+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Al little assistance for a new Mage pls

Al little assistance for a new Mage pls

Hey all,

I have just started playing my Mage again after about a year. Decided that I should finish lvling him as I am getting a bit of an angry tank head on at the mo with end game. Or should I say with other players lol.

Anyway this is not my first ranged class but is my first ranged caster class. I lvled him along time ago to 52 with a little help from the recruite a friend thing. Oooops did I say that out load lol. So to be honist I didn't really do much with him. It was to help get my shaman through old world asap. Well now I am suffering for it. I have started to play him and I am running into a few issues. Firstly I am lvling fire spec which I found online. Which I guess is fine. But were I am stuck with this is really rotation and tactics. Also on the glyph side of things. And the last thing is I have been told to switch to arcane at 60 us this a good idea?

So I guess what I am really asking is does anyone know of a good guide I can use to help me. I have looked through a few and have goten a little frustrated at each one saying the oppsite of the last.

So pls help me :-) all help is appreciated and thank you for taking the time.

I just finished leveling as fire and it really perks up at around level 60. I used the leveling guide on www.wow.com as kind of a road map to talents. Here's my mage for what it's worth. For now I probably have too much spirit on my gear (but it does go to crit, so not a total waste), but I'm taking what drops I can get until I get more picky in ICC this week.

I know the rotation I use now is Combustion, Living Bomb (keep it up on target), Scorch (refresh as needed), spam Fireball until Empowered by Fire procs and hit Pyroblast.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...za&cn=Violalee

Thanks for the quick response. I will take a look at the guide when i am not posting from my iPhone lol.

Depends on your playstyle. I tried leveling as fire but I found that when there were multiple mobs involved in a fracas, continuing my mage-life unabated became a somewhat dicey proposition. Frost on the other hand, gives you lots of tools to get out of scrapes with more than one evil chump.

As for arcane at sixty..if you're going to be running a lot of instances, its probably a good idea but again, really dependent on your playstyle. What's fun, what's easiest for you to level as?

Thanks that is very true. I will stay fire till 64 I think then try arcane once I have ABL. See how it goes

In general Frost is considered the best leveling spec. Due to its highly "defensive" nature.

I liked frost for leveling. A little slow on the damage, but very survivable, and you can kill people as you pass them and not get pwnt (except by feral druids and rogues).

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Well I tried frost again and it doesn't fit my play style. So I am back as fire. Don't every really have any issues with not staying alive lol. Unless I am having a dumb moment and blink into a group lol. I like the high dps and the fact they are dead before one touches me. Only slight pain is the long cast on pyro but other than that it works. Going to try arcane at 64 when I get arcane blast and let you know how it goes.

My suggestion to any new Mage that may read this is to try for yourself. If you like AoE and you strugle to stay alive go frost. But if like me you are quite good at moving around and controling mobs. And want big crits and quick kills try fire. Like I said I will post how the arcane goes so you get an idea as soon as I hit 64.

Thank you all for your input

Ok so after getting to 64 and arcane blast now in my inventory of kickass spells. I made the switch and have been trying arcane for lvling.

The result less downtime and huge increase in speed. I am not going back. Arcane is my spec of choice now for lvling after 64. Up to that point no way. Haven't ce across a mob that can get to me before death. It is awesome. One note though you need to be quick on moving and know how to kite for higher lvl mobs. But all in all a much more efficant lvling experince.

awsome, i'm waiting till i'm lvl 80 2 switch 2 arcane. i lvled frost till LK content, and moved 2 fire spec. Applying LivingBomb 2 the entire group, a couple flames strikes(highest and downranked, dots don't overwrite) holy crap ... Number fly everywhere. I remember a couple of times, i had these tanks (around 43Kish unbuffed so decent gear), man, all of the runs i was sooo close 2 beating them in dps. 2 bad i didn't have some lvl 70 raiding gear

I'm 79 and very rarely am i in a group where i don't destroy everyone else in dps. Sadly, till i get some steller ICC gear ... arcane is the better way dps wise till you get the good stuff.

Gonna be sad giving in my fire spec.

Agreed. One of my buds just switched back to arcane till he has the gear to support fire. It us were I will be once the gear allows it. It just feels like old wow to me. Longer cast times and only one proc to watch for. With insane crit numbers. I can't wait

+ Reply to Thread