+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ruby Sanctum Halion

Tried the hard mode a bit yesterday, was a bit unclear on the precise sequence of events in the transition. How long do you wait before sending in a tank + healers to the shadow realm (is there a particular reason to rush) and to what extent do you need to clear up the embers/infernos. We were having enough trouble getting to 75% that it was hard to tell quite what was going wrong at that point, but it seemed like there was probably a trick to it (perhaps delaying 75% until a previous set of adds were cleared up). Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Tried the hard mode a bit yesterday, was a bit unclear on the precise sequence of events in the transition. How long do you wait before sending in a tank + healers to the shadow realm (is there a particular reason to rush) and to what extent do you need to clear up the embers/infernos. We were having enough trouble getting to 75% that it was hard to tell quite what was going wrong at that point, but it seemed like there was probably a trick to it (perhaps delaying 75% until a previous set of adds were cleared up). Any tips?
    You want to enter the shadow realm ASAP since you're working against an enreage timer. The large adds should be tanked by the MT and should generally be DPS'd down along with the boss. The smaller adds need rounding up an Aoeing down.

The way my guild handled the mini-bosses was as follows:

Baltharus: We pulled him to the large open area south of where he starts. The OT stood at maximum taunt range away, going towards the portal, while the MT kept him facing the wall back there. Everyone else was spread out behind him. The OT taunted him the minute he did his whirlwind thing so he'd run straight at the OT and not hit anyone else. When there was a clone, both tanks would basically switch whatever Baltharus they would be tanking whenever one would do a whirlwind (e.g. if I was tanking the real one, and the clone did a whirlwind, I would taunt the clone and the OT would taunt the real one). Obviously all DPS was on the real one (marked by a skull) at all times.

Saviana: Tanked her facing the pool of water, and that was really it, just people who were marked had to run away. Easiest of the three IMO. I'm not sure if she resets aggro after she flies up so just to be safe I would taunt+Avenger's Shield to make sure I picked her back up.

Zarithrian: Hardest of the three IMO. We basically had one tank on the boss, one to pick up the adds which proved VERY hard since one comes from each end of the area, and both are casters so they don't have to come near you. We had a bit of trouble with the taunting off stuff since the tank on Zarithrian would have to AOE to pick up the casters, and the tank on the adds would have to break them to run to Zarithrian. We managed to do it but it was very messy, and I'd appreciate any better tips

Unfortunately for all that, we only got into Phase 2 on Halion himself since people were being cleansed before running to the end so there were void zones basically right under the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwayne View Post
    it was very messy, and I'd appreciate any better tips
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...nd-Mini-Bosses
    Decent discussion over there about the trash and mini bosses.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

:ahem:
    If you have issues with a guide, please report it or PM the guide author and any Moderator. Guide threads are for discussing the topic of the guide and the fight or technique specifically sited. Unsolicited critique is best kept private.
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe

We were having some issues with our first attempt on normal mode in RS 10. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or disprove this theory I came up with. The basis for this theory assumes two thing. The orbs always spawn in the same place at the start of phase 2. The orbs proceed 180 degrees around the perimeter every 20 seconds.

I believe I found a secret to the beams and moving around. I watched the video's carefully and believe the beams are on an exact timer. If the illustrations are correct and accurate more than just an example, then I also believe the orbs take exactly 20 seconds to rotate 180 degrees around the circle. This means that the beam always starts on a line exactly where the last one ended. This means the beams are completely predictable.

I propose the following strategy then...

The first beam will start when the orbs are lined up North and South. It will end when lined up with East and West. Because the orbs are moving clockwise, if the raid positions in the Northwest corner, they will not have to move at all for the entire beam duration.

The second beam starts when the orbs are lined up East and West and ends on North and South. So if the tank aligns Halion's head to the West/Southwest, and the raid positions in the lower Southwest corner, again...they will not need to move to avoid the beam.

On the third beam, it will be just like the first. So the tank moves Halion's head to the North/Northwest and the raid repositions in the Northwest corner again. From here on it's just alternating between the Northwest and Southwest corners. If my perception and calculations are correct, this is all that's needed to stay clear of the beams.
    Last edited by Nyklos; 07-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwayne View Post
    The way my guild handled the mini-bosses was as follows:

Zarithrian: Hardest of the three IMO. We basically had one tank on the boss, one to pick up the adds which proved VERY hard since one comes from each end of the area, and both are casters so they don't have to come near you. We had a bit of trouble with the taunting off stuff since the tank on Zarithrian would have to AOE to pick up the casters, and the tank on the adds would have to break them to run to Zarithrian. We managed to do it but it was very messy, and I'd appreciate any better tips

Unfortunately for all that, we only got into Phase 2 on Halion himself since people were being cleansed before running to the end so there were void zones basically right under the boss.
    For 10 man, which is all I've cleared, we just zerg'd Zarithrian. We used 2 DKs (Warrior and DK, the first time in there when we just did the mini bosses), I took the adds (I was in Frost Spec) and the other DK took the mini-boss (Blood Spec). Gathering the adds was not an issue DnD in the middle, the right one (as we faced the boss) walked into the DnD and the left one I Death Gripped into the DnD, then dropped a Howling Blast on them, then Blood Boil - Mind Freeze one Strangulate the other; rinse and repeat. The other DK just held the mini-boss, used cool downs and we burned him.

I strongly doubt this will work on heroic. But we kind of zerg'd the first time by accident since I only heard "take the adds" and no one said "taunt off"; so I just took the adds.

@Nyklos
    The basic strategy for the twilight realm is simple. Let the orb pass you while it is inactive and start kiting to chase it. The first one you will likely end up chasing longer depending on your initial position when you first enter. While it is active, kite the boss chasing the cutter. When it deactivates, stop kiting and wait until they flip all the way around and resume kiting after the next other orb passes you. It takes a little getting used to but this is significantly easier on both the raid and the tank than trying to flip the dragon back and forth risking the raid being hit by breaths and cleaves.

Another reason you actually want to kite the boss the correct way is because of the void zones. You will almost always drop one during a cutter and one when the cutter isn't active. If you only have two positions you are standing in, you are always standing in a void zone. If you actually kite the boss around the circle as intended, the void zone on the other end is cleared before you get back to that point in your path.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I strongly doubt this will work on heroic.
    Mini-bosses do not have a heroic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Mini-bosses do not have a heroic mode.
    Cool, so the whole dungeon doesn't become heroic but only the final boss, didn't realize that.

Phase 2 transition

I'm in need of some clarification on the phase 2 transition for both 10 an 25 Hard mode.
    I'm having people dieing from cleave as they're entering the shadow realm. What should we do to prevent this? I tried moving him out a lil bit, but that ends up screwin me over with the beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Winkle View Post
    Regarding 10man hard:

What's the required raid DPS to beat the enrage timer?

Does the AOE shadow aura increase in severity in 10 hc?
    10man hc hp = 15.3million

Not sure about AOE dmg yet.
    Last edited by Mr.Winkle; 07-13-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzell View Post
    I'm in need of some clarification on the phase 2 transition for both 10 an 25 Hard mode.
    I'm having people dieing from cleave as they're entering the shadow realm. What should we do to prevent this? I tried moving him out a lil bit, but that ends up screwin me over with the beams.
    Regardless of Halions postion at the end of P1 he will be standing in the centre of the circle facing the entrance to the instnace in P2. If people are aware of this they can enter in such a away that they're not running into his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    The raid is constantly on his side, and thus, never behind him.
    Watching the RS hard mode video, the raid is on one side of the dragon. When the meteor falls, the raid runs through the dragon.

We tried this strat. Our raid was not behind the dragon but on the side as shown in the video. Whenever we ran straight through the dragon we got stunned. I am wondering if there is a spot along the side of the dragon that is ideal to run through where you don't get stunned or cleaved or if the stun was just dealt with as part of the strat.

How are you splitting up the healers and dps on heroic mode, and what general dps benchmarks are you using? Based on our experience so far, I would ideally go with 6 ranged dps and 4 melee with strong cleave abilities in the physical realm, 5 melee in the twilight realm, 3 tanks, 7 healers. Because we aren't such a melee heavy guild though, I've been sending in a few of our more mobile ranged dpsers (affliction warlocks, shadow priests) into the Twilight realm for Phase 3 as well to make sure we have enough cleave damage on the fire spawns in the Physical realm.

How many ranged dps should we expect it to take to kill each Infernal? It looked like we could mostly ignore the small adds and let passive AoE damage take care of them in phase 1, and shouldn't be much of a problem in phase 3 either with a little more focus on AoE damage.

In phase 3, I split the groups with 10 in the Twilight Realm (1 tank, 4 healers, 5 dps) and 15 in Physical (2 tanks, 3 healers, 10dps).

Quote Originally Posted by royalite View Post
    Watching the RS hard mode video, the raid is on one side of the dragon. When the meteor falls, the raid runs through the dragon.

We tried this strat. Our raid was not behind the dragon but on the side as shown in the video. Whenever we ran straight through the dragon we got stunned. I am wondering if there is a spot along the side of the dragon that is ideal to run through where you don't get stunned or cleaved or if the stun was just dealt with as part of the strat.
    Run closer to the front? I've run through just fine without getting hit by the tail swipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Run closer to the front? I've run through just fine without getting hit by the tail swipe.
    Same here, the only stunning component that Halion does is his tailswipe so if they are running "through" him and getting knocked down, they're running to close to his tail.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

After our second week trying hard mode, we decided to use Heroism on P1 so we get only two infernals.
    P2 is just avoid mistakes, we left 1 healer and 1 tank above.
    But our problems comes on transition to P3 when the tank (warrior) is most of the times 2 shotted or healers cant keep him up for longer even chaining cooldowns, shield wall, guardian spirit, last stand, trinkets, guardian spirit again and so on. The tank is full 277

I checked as all dps is dowsntairs, most of the times upstairs we get a 10 or 15% dmg increase instantly.

So r we doing something wrong?? How we can improve tank survival, should we stop dps downstairs untill dps is balanced on both realms??

if you're not hitting enrage timers, there's simply no reason to try to explode so fast during that transition. If that's where your warrior is dying as he's trying to get set up with only 1 healer just have your DPS hold until you're set up. trying to edge out any dps like that prematurely just means they'll have to stop dps'ing at another point in the fight to let the top catchup anyways, so whats the point? Also make sure your healer outside is pre-healing as the transition hits, if he/she waits till the dragon spawns and starts wailing on your reality tank he's gonna die before she gets off a heal.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Nyklos View Post
    We were having some issues with our first attempt on normal mode in RS 10. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or disprove this theory I came up with. The basis for this theory assumes two thing. The orbs always spawn in the same place at the start of phase 2. The orbs proceed 180 degrees around the perimeter every 20 seconds.
    @Nyklos - This observation and strategy has already been posted on page 4 of this thread.

+ Reply to Thread