+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cataclysm Map Changes

Cataclysm Map Changes

This is a little bit trivial compared to the very serious matter of determining what the cookie cutter builds of your favorite class will be, but it's got me curious. Since we're able to fly now, we should in theory be able to fly to places like east of the Burning Steppes, or the platau in western Tirisfal, but I've heard nothing of what's going on there. I did notice a path in the new map of Burning Steppes that lead south into the redridge mountains, and from there, west. Does anyone know WBA that is, or where it leads?

Danny Sutton

The path from Burning Steppes leads to the Swamp of Sorrows.

Blizzard will probably put up invisible walls like the ones around Black Temple to prevent us from going certain places. We'll definitely be able to explore more, though.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I hope blizzard will allow us to fly freely in cata everywhere just about.

you know the zones look awesome from all the video tankspot has put out from their beta coverage and blizzard seems to have done a good job on them. Some changes are drastic while some are very subttle..

One thing bothers me about it tho.. It seems like the majority of zone changes seems to favor the horde in many ways, particularly the destruction of the alliance towns in game and the building of new Horde towns, primarily in the eastern kingdoms. I can understand new horde settlements in Kalimdor it's to be expected it's for the most part their continent. But why would the horde continue to expand in the eastern kingdoms?

Just seems Blizzard is now more blatantly pro horde and anti Alliance than they were before. really kinda takes any kind of luster away from being alliance seeing that all our settlements and towns have been destroyed while virtually none of the horde has been touched and in fact are seeing new growth.

Thanks blizz, good to see you're not at all biased in the factions. (yeah whatever)

I know Southshore and Auberdine were both destroyed. In in the case of Auberdine it was, from a non-game perspective, to move the quest hub to a place where the flow worked better for the zone. I'm not entirely sure the reasoning behind destroying Southshore, but I suspect it had to do with the reworked zone flow. I really doubt that Blizzard sat in there office trying to think of ways to screw the Alliance. I don't know what new settlements in the Eastern Kingdoms you're referring to, but to answer the question, why wouldn't they continue to expand anywhere they're able to? And incidentally, the Alliance does have new settlements in Kalimdor.

Bear in mind, the changes we know about are just the changes that we actually know about. There could be a lot we dont' know about yet that makes it look less one sided. I don't even think the changes we've seen so have been one sided, though. It's not like everything that's happened to the Horde is nice and rosey. (Spoiler at bottom*) That said, it's entirely possible that many of the staff prefers the Horde. That doesn't mean that that preference goes any where beyond what they enjoy playing. L70ETC is horde, and that probably means that the people in the band like horde, but it's a leap to assume that means Blizzard hates alliance and wants to screw them over. The only thing Blizzard hates is whatever your class is, and they're going to nerf it.

*Spoilier I mean, one of our faction leaders gets murdered, and the other one is kidnapped and replaced with an axe-crazy psychopathic scrappy.

Stormwind Harbor vs. Horde zepplins. Nuff Said.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Also, goblin dances > worgen. But, not that this is an active topic, but Blizz hated ally is a derail.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemek View Post
    I know Southshore and Auberdine were both destroyed. In in the case of Auberdine it was, from a non-game perspective, to move the quest hub to a place where the flow worked better for the zone. I'm not entirely sure the reasoning behind destroying Southshore, but I suspect it had to do with the reworked zone flow. I really doubt that Blizzard sat in there office trying to think of ways to screw the Alliance. I don't know what new settlements in the Eastern Kingdoms you're referring to, but to answer the question, why wouldn't they continue to expand anywhere they're able to? And incidentally, the Alliance does have new settlements in Kalimdor.

Bear in mind, the changes we know about are just the changes that we actually know about. There could be a lot we dont' know about yet that makes it look less one sided. I don't even think the changes we've seen so have been one sided, though. It's not like everything that's happened to the Horde is nice and rosey. (Spoiler at bottom*) That said, it's entirely possible that many of the staff prefers the Horde. That doesn't mean that that preference goes any where beyond what they enjoy playing. L70ETC is horde, and that probably means that the people in the band like horde, but it's a leap to assume that means Blizzard hates alliance and wants to screw them over. The only thing Blizzard hates is whatever your class is, and they're going to nerf it.

It's not a leap to assume blizzard is pro-horde anti-alliance. it's apparent lead designer even at some point said that the horde holds a special place for him.

Watch some of the fly over videos on tank spot you'll see what I mean, even menethil harbor is destroyed. it's still usable as a quest hub but the entire town is flooded. I've seen ZERO evidence than ANY horde town or settlement has been affected by the cataclysm, and from what we've seem so far the introduction is new Horde settlements in ratio to new Alliance settlements is sorely disproportional.

Basically blizzard is making it look so far like the alliance will live in ruins while teh horde gets structural upgrades and brand new towns.

*Spoilier I mean, one of our faction leaders gets murdered, and the other one is kidnapped and replaced with an axe-crazy psychopathic scrappy.

+ Reply to Thread