+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which addon allows character to move with Zone Map open?

Which addon allows character to move with Zone Map open?

Not sure if this is the right Forum to post this question but here goes... It IS an addon request I guess!!!

I am looking for how you can move your character with the Zone Map open. Currently, if you open the Zone Map then try and even orientate yourself (rotate to get the direction you wish to fly in for example) the arrow on the Zone Map indicating your direction will not move - and I think your character can't move either.

I was using Cartographer (3 I think) which seemed to allow this to happen but as this hasn't been supported for nearly 2 years (I think... I seem to think a lot) so uninstalled it. So I'm hoping someone can advise me of an in-game option that turns on this feature, or another add-on that will allow the same (Carbonite?) or, worst-case scenario, which of the Cartographer Libraries allowed this functionality - Look'n'Feel(?) (so I can turn all the others off).

Many thanks in advance...

When the map is open, look at the top right corner-there is an X to close the map and an arrow that points down and left. If you click the arrow button it makes your map smaller so you can see & move your character while you manipulate and look at the map.

Oh my word... >.<

I feel a little silly now. I'll give this a shot when I get home and logged in. Thanks for the speedy response. Will update with what I expect is the inevitable "Success" message

What are you trying to use this for?

If it is just for general movement around the world then you can use the above or an addon called mapster. You can resize and set the alpha on the map so you can see through the map while moving. Also I belive you can also set it to allow click through.

If you are using this for gathering I would suggest a bit of a combo. It is what I use and it makes my life so easy. It us sexy map and gathermate. With the two combined you can have a hot key HUD display that will show the locations of what you are tracking near you on a radar like HUD in the centre of the screen. Works well. If you do get gathermate don't forget to download the gathermate data files that are always being updated. All available from curse. If you use the client it does make keeping your addons up to date loads easier.

Hope this helps

Carbonite will also allow this. It can be a little resource heavy but it also allows Guild, Party, and friend tracking on the minimap. You can have it switch to a minimap state, adjust the alpha (see-through) and many other things. It also has quest tracking similar to QuestHelper, a "punks" window that will show you members of the opposing faction that are near you, and many other features. You may want to look at that.
    For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; For those who do not, no explanation is possible.

Doesn't carbonite have a price tag?

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    not after blizzard got done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Really. That's cool didn't know that. One of the reasons I refuse to use it lol.

Carbonite is sometimes useful but I hate the fact that it wants to take so much over. It takes over your map with a truly ugly, ugly map (and now that the map automatically shows quest objectives if you want, is completely unnecessary) and does all sorts of other stuff--just blegh. i do use sexymap for gathering (not that I herb anymore, too lazy) but it gives me lua errors out the hoohah so I had to turn Lua error messages off or I would be stuck closing them for 2 minutes every time I opened the map

After they updated I haven't had an issue with it. Not to mention you can turn a lot of the functionality off. I personally like the Carbonite maps. Scroll wheel to zoom, has Gatherer integration, Points of Interest...I use all of it a lot of the time. I do however turn it completely off when raiding but they did implement dungeon maps on it recently.
    For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; For those who do not, no explanation is possible.

Well in the end I went straight for Carbonite - this was something I was looking at anyway as, like I mentioned, I wanted to get rid of Cartographer (RIP) and was also looking for a Questhelper replacement as that too is terminal (not quite dead yet I think but very very close).

Quite a change but functionally it does what I was looking for (moving with map open) and allows you to track quests. It has also allowed me to remove Gatherer and has a nice "Route" function which plots the path for all nodes (I'm a Miner). I had to play around with the map a bit as I selected to merge the minimap (blizz) with Carbonite's map - and when I first went into an instance the map was of that region with a tiny little representation of the instance map in the corner. But a few ticks in options boxes sorted that out.

Infact it has loads of options and dead easy to turn stuff off and on and doesn't seem as memory greedy as I was expecting (and is free - donations are of course greatly appreciated by the developers I'm sure ) It seems to have a OneBag style function too where you can see all your toons bank and bag items (Warehouse?) which is very handy as your levelling a profession.

And I actually quite like the way the map renders - its smooth with no harsh border (and adjustable transparency) so it kinda blends in when your on your travels. Still need to have a play about to get it looking as I want and to fit in with my GUI but a good find I think - just hope it doesn't crash and burn after Cataclysm...

Anyway, didn't mean to plug anything but it does what I hoped so thanks for the heads up...

Muchos Grazias

While carbonite is pretty. It is also bad. Carbonite is one of the addons that causes alot of congestion for other players, as it is constantly spamming information in the background, it has the potential to affect members of your party/raid. I suggest getting accustomed to blizzards map interface.

+ Reply to Thread