+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost DK

Frost DK

Hey guys, its me again. I just recently acquired dual talent specialization and would like to have a secondary Frost build for tanking as well. I've seen a lot of Frost DK with 2H weapons, and I've heard dual wielding has it's problems when it comes to tanking (at least from what I've read on other posts). Could someone please post a link to the general build for Frost so I can use it as a reference when I'm building my tree? Also, could somebody also explain to me why 2H weapon Frost tanking has it's advantages over dual wielding?

*Side Note*
    I should also mention I do not know the skill rotation. Frost tanking is completely new to me, much the same as Blood tanking was.

This is a talent build I just pulled out of thin air. I'm guessing Obliterate, Howling Blast, Frost Strike, and basic disease appliers are used in the rotation. Let me know what you guys think.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000
    Last edited by Gorshred; 06-28-2010 at 10:54 AM.

5 points in Bladed Armor, not Dark Conviction. My bad.

Nevermind this post. I finally found the general outline for 2H frost tanking. For anyone looking for it:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...866#post337866

For Frost dps in general, you'll notice many dual wielding specialization talents. This alone makes it very superior to 2H Frost, which was only viable in Naxx / early Ulduar days. Frost DW is also superior to Unholy single target when played right and with the right buffs, and only slightly falls behind in AoE with fun Howling Blast crits ( 121k is my record in ICC 25 ^.^ ).

If you want to DW Frost, look up the correct spec, which can be found on this site or Elitist Jerks, and pick up two slow (meaning 2.6 speed) weapons. Work on your rotation, watch for your procs, and you will really enjoy DW Frost! It was a vastly more fun experience over Unholy for me.

~Revanchist

EDIT: /sigh, I didn't notice you were looking at tanking. :P Keep this anyways in case you'd ever like to dps, and the slow weapon rule still applies to tanking! Just give it a Nerubian Carapace and the threat from the slow weapons beats out fast tanking weapons by a lot!!
    Revanchist | Frost Death Knight | Staghelm
    "If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERLASTING FUN!"

Right now, my gear is trash. That is presenting a problem with my avoidance. Also, in response to your comment above, I do see a lot of Frost tanks with 2H, but I'm also seeing a lot of Dual Wielders within my guild. So maybe you're on to something there. A friend of mine also mentioned that I should try dw at this level simply because it will help with stacking some parry/dodge. At 72, there isn't a lot of efficient tanking gear around. And if there are, such as through those quests in Dragonblight, I can't get to them yet, because I havn't completed all quest in Howling Fjord (I'm aware that a lot of the quests in Northrend connect to other areas. That's my reasoning). Any suggestions would be nice.

Also, I feel as if I must be doing something wrong in regards to my tanking, because it looks to me like I'm taking more damage. On top of that my rotation seems a bit weak. Frost Touch, Plauge Strike, Pestillence, Blood Boil, Obliterate, Howling Blast. Is my rotation messed up, or am I just not popping my CD's as often as I should be?

At the moment, this is my present gear.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oroth&cn=Renfi

Frost DPS truthfully has no rotation, its a Priority system...

I see what you mean by that Selene. Maybe its just not the tree for me. But I'm willing to give it a while and see how things go with it. It'd be kind of a waste now that I've actually looked into it.

most frost dw specs revolve around the use of death runes too. espicially tanking, so you can pop alot of your main threat gens back to back to build and keep high threat.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that Frost is a Priority system, a good number of Frost DPS still use a rotation because it is easier and still put out good/great damage, just if they were to use a Priority system they probably could get even more dps out there.

+ Reply to Thread