Thread: Tank Setup for ICC25

Tank Setup for ICC25

So, I'm taking over running a guild ICC25 and I wanted to ask a question about raid composition. Does anyone have an opinion on the ideal tank setup for the raid?

I know for sure we have 1 Prot Paladin and I'm current in charge of recruiting and in the very short space of time I've been looking, I've only found two other prot paladins who showed interest though I plan on continuing the search some more.

I'm aware that a DK is pretty useful on adds in Rotface but other than that, I'm wondering there are any fights with specific needs. I'm just trying to figure if there are a combination of classes that would hinder us if we tried to do it without Class X or with 3 of Class Y.

It seems intuitive that you want variety, I was just hoping to get some specifics.

Thanks

whichever tanks you trust the most and are your most skilled/best geared. This is the most balanced tanks have been this entire expansion.

/thread

If you want variety go for a feral druid since they do not share gear with your prot paladin.

aka bring the player and not the class, I get that.

I was just curious to see if someone said "Well if you have three pally tanks, they'll have trouble on heroic boss X because they're unable to do ability Y or they'll be susceptible to ability Z". If that's not the case then goodie, we can stick by the player > class motto.

Thanks

What? Rotface adds? any tank can do that, a paladin works best for it in my opinion, a DK is also good but meh, the paladin can dispel at the same time. Warriors work fine for it aswell, thunderclap+shockwave to get aggro. Druids are the worst, faerie fire the ooze, but does work.

You want people with brains, not people who just happens to be different class'

My guild have cleared ICC 25HC, we run with a protection paladin and a protection warrior, we have an offspec feral druid for tanks requiring 3 tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaya View Post
    I was just curious to see if someone said "Well if you have three pally tanks, they'll have trouble on heroic boss X because they're unable to do ability Y or they'll be susceptible to ability Z". If that's not the case then goodie, we can stick by the player > class motto.
    Only difference is that different classes might allow for different strategies, such as Prot Warriors with Safeguard-spec that eliminates the need for tank-switching in Lich King phases2-3. (Not that it's an issue anymore with +30% buff on normal-mode)
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

What? you don't need safeguard, using cooldowns through soulreaper works perfectly fine, not to mention, when one tank runs out of cooldowns, the other tank can tank, Please guys, safeguard aint the only way to do it, we never used it to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloon View Post
    What? you don't need safeguard, using cooldowns through soulreaper works perfectly fine, not to mention, when one tank runs out of cooldowns, the other tank can tank, Please guys, safeguard aint the only way to do it, we never used it to my knowledge.
    Only difference is that different classes might allow for different strategies
    Reason why people use Safeguard strategy is because it allows you to leave cooldowns available for emergencies (soaking P3 spirits) and healers can just focus on one tank instead of pre-healing second tank before switch to get procs and buffs up (Inspiration, Penance, hots....)

There's no one and only strategy that you must use, it's usually up to tanks what kind of method they prefer.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Any mix of tanks works.

There are several fights that lend themselves to different tanks but there is no real difference. I agree with Darksend with regard to his comment on not sharing gear. Fastest way to get tanks geared up is to have little crossover. Druid/Plate would facilitate that best.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

I understand what Crommi meant, on our 10 man we had a DK and Pally tank and while we were learning the Lich King fight we occasionally flipped them around based on which abilities we thought would work best but in the end either worked. Pally concecration for instance was placed between range and the LK so any ghouls that peeled off snapped right to the OT instead of bashing a healer for a couple seconds.

Thanks guys

There's a thread already on an ideal ICC25 raid comp, but I digress.

I would personally take, in addition to the pally tank, a warrior tank and an offspec DK tank, failing that an offspec feral druid. Unless there is some spectacular CD usage, the two sword'n'boarders do have a smoother damage profile than their non-shield cousins. Assuming gearing is the same, make the warrior tank the MT (where such a title applies) for maximum CD availability.

DKs & Druids shine at the early parts. use a DK/Druid to hold Darnavan and Druids/DK do AWESOME dps with 8-9 stacks of Fester's buff (better than pally/warrior). DKs are pretty much the kings of ooze kiting in slime, and druids actually do a decent job, not because of FFF, but that they can switch out to cat form and run faster if they start getting closer to their slime (FFF and IT are ShieldSlam/SotR equivalents, but ranged).

For some fights, like marrowgar, saurfang, BQL, etc., it doesn't matter what tank you employ.

Hunters are great not only for MDs, but also for distracting shots on blood beasts on saurfang. TotT from Rogues is good for LDW adds

For BPs, make sure you have at least 2 hunters and a warlock, using both MDs for Dark Nucleis to your lock tank. A properly specced arcane or frost mage can take the place. If not DPSing, Warlocks and Hunters do great on Kinectic bombs, both for ranged burst dps as well as setting pets on them (Arcane/TotW Fire mages/LazerTurkeys are also good for Kinectic bombs). Make sure your arcane mages have an alt spec (preferably TotW Fire) for sindragosa.

For Healers, AT LEAST one holy paly, shamans are OK. This will be especially true on dreamwalker, paladins get crusader aura instead of great nuke heals. Ideally, one holy paly for tanks, a shaman to support holy pally and take care of melee, one disc priest, a druid healer, and 1-2 DPS with heal offspecs for heavy damage fights and dreamwalker.