+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just attmpted to tank VOA 10 first time

Can the OP put up a link to themself because you are quick to blame the pally but I have had trouble with many DK's threat being so low I actually cant release then my white hits were more threat than they could output.

One was a friends alt and when we investigated he rarely used rune strike and his spec was off. Never had a problem since he fixed it.

Remember taunt only puts you on focus and equal with highest threat for a window you still have to actually generate a threat lead which means using all your high threat moves.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I know how to Taunt and take threat.
    However it doesn't help when the other tank is being a "nub" and uses a move to grab threat back.

Because I have done "Taunt" "Icy Touch" and watch my threat go from over 100% to 60% before I can even get my next attack out. So that Isn't an issue of my not having threat generation. Especially when I have threat stats. Or I "Taunt" and I get "Immune" from the boss, and given that the only time I taunt is when I'm pulling the boss back, that means the other tank is using their "Taunt" in their rotation.

But since you asked: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rest&cn=Selene

I am not underestimating the other tank may be a nub and taunting but this worries me

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    :taunt" "Icy Touch" and watch my threat go from over 100% to 60% before I can even get my next attack out. So [/url]
    If any tank can generate 40% more threat than you in 1 hit from any of his moves >>>> you have a problem <<<<
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I forgot to split this up so its easier to read so editing for that purpose =P

In this particular pull my taunts were immune, 3 times in a row at one point, im unaware of paladin abilities so, if they had their taunt in their rotation i guess that could be it. This was my first time in VOA so i was unsure if it was from something i had done.

I will post my armory link tomorrow, i logged in a fail dps set, and my server is down for 24hrs

The only time i have ever had trouble with threat is in 4+ mob pulls in heroics where someone in the group is capable of 7k+ dps, but i never look into it too much because the mobs die so quickly, i dont ever lose aggro on single mob/boss encounters.

As far as my rotation, i will IT after a taunt, i have RS bound to my abilities, in this instance i was spamming IT as much as i could to get aggro. The paladins gear i didnt inspect, his gs was 50 higher than mine his hp was 1k lower, as was his armor.
    Last edited by chumz; 06-29-2010 at 08:46 AM.

That was my problem offtanking VDW last night with a Paladin MT.

He got to 3 stacks of Insignifigance and I taunt, get the miss/immune sound (I assumed I missed). Throw vigilance on him real quick and try again and sound goes off again. WTF?! I looked down and the error message is that she is immune. The idiot was taunting the shit out of her, so she dropped aggro on him and starting running to the boomkin that was doing 9k DPS on her. 3 Immune taunts later and I finally get her back on me. Luckily we didn't wipe, because I would have been pissed at the fact he made me look like a noob to everyone else when I was supposed to tank and couldn't get her because she was immune to taunt for 6-10 seconds.

Yep ALOT of Failadins like to use their taunt in their rotation. Hell I know of several Ret Paladins that do, that I have told I would let die in a raid if they did it.

PS: I had a friend that likes to run a million addons watch the other tank in one of those VoAs... if he is in one with me that has a tank that I have nevered paired with before I have him watch them. He saw them Taunt then AS right after my taunt >.<

Ive noticed that alot of problems with newer tanks is they do not understand the threat generation mechanics. On my warrior, I generate a good bit of threat, so what I do is when I know Im going to be taunted off soon I stop attacking and let my TPS go down so when the other tank taunts, there is little to no chance of me repulling based on my TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Prucilak View Post
    Ive noticed that alot of problems with newer tanks is they do not understand the threat generation mechanics. On my warrior, I generate a good bit of threat, so what I do is when I know Im going to be taunted off soon I stop attacking and let my TPS go down so when the other tank taunts, there is little to no chance of me repulling based on my TPS.
    Yep, in any fight where I'm supposed to be taunted off of, at the taunt point I go to just auto-attacks. I stop using abilities other than defensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I know how to Taunt and take threat.
    However it doesn't help when the other tank is being a "nub" and uses a move to grab threat back.

Because I have done "Taunt" "Icy Touch" and watch my threat go from over 100% to 60% before I can even get my next attack out. So that Isn't an issue of my not having threat generation. Especially when I have threat stats. Or I "Taunt" and I get "Immune" from the boss, and given that the only time I taunt is when I'm pulling the boss back, that means the other tank is using their "Taunt" in their rotation.

But since you asked: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rest&cn=Selene
    From strictly a threat perspective, your gearing is fine. Heck, even without gemming for it, you have made the hit cap and are way past the soft cap for expertise and headed for the hard cap.

This means you need to work on perfecting your rotation, if you want to avoid such huge gaps in threat. That means either you read the articles you have no desire to read, or live with the problem, unfortunately. All I can add, is that there are mods to track when people taunt. I haven't tested it, but Taunt Tattle looks like something you could use.

In other news, I am horrified you are gemming defense (601 defense!) and dodge. It's terribad to the extreme. This tells me you need to read this site before doing anything else. Especially Aggathon's prot warrior guide, or the reasons people gear for EH in 3.3.3 (and yeah, I know you are a DK, it still applies). You can also see the work of Satrina for DK specific stuff. And I ain't spoon feeding you no more until you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    From strictly a threat perspective, your gearing is fine. Heck, even without gemming for it, you have made the hit cap and are way past the soft cap for expertise and headed for the hard cap.

This means you need to work on perfecting your rotation, if you want to avoid such huge gaps in threat. That means either you read the articles you have no desire to read, or live with the problem, unfortunately. All I can add, is that there are mods to track when people taunt. I haven't tested it, but Taunt Tattle looks like something you could use.

In other news, I am horrified you are gemming defense (601 defense!) and dodge. It's terribad to the extreme. This tells me you need to read this site before doing anything else. Especially Aggathon's prot warrior guide, or the reasons people gear for EH in 3.3.3 (and yeah, I know you are a DK, it still applies). You can also see the work of Satrina for DK specific stuff. And I ain't spoon feeding you no more until you read it.
    I know all about gemming, but for the most part choose not to go Full EH for gemming.
    At least I'm not doing stupid stuff like Parry/Def or using Def gems lol. Also my gemming is only "off" for 3 pieces and my rings since a +9 bonus for 1 non-blue socket is acceptable.
    Last edited by Selene; 06-29-2010 at 10:51 AM.

well my account was hacked this morning after the server went live lol, so give me a few days to get all my gear back then i will give the armory link

Quote Originally Posted by chumz View Post
    well my account was hacked this morning after the server went live lol, so give me a few days to get all my gear back then i will give the armory link
    doh

Do yourself a favor and spend the 6 bucks on an authenticator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Or get the one for your smart phone for free. The authenticators are currently sold out.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

ya, tried for the authenticator, but sold out like other poster said, i was checking for the iphone, and i only saw bad reviews, that it was crashing the phone and what not, i need my phone for business, cant play like that, so ill have to wait.

armory link for those who asked, i got my gear back im probably going to swap the threat glove chant for the 240 armor when the servers are back up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...une&cn=Effindk

+ Reply to Thread