+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H:HoR - Prot Warrior Problems

H:HoR - Prot Warrior Problems

First, my character information: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Muradin&cn=Happyrage&gn=Invictus
    Let me know if there's something better that I can come across easily to increase what I currently have.

Anyway, common situation that happens for me when I tank H:HoR--
    (1) Buffs are given, conjured food distributed, etc.
    (1.1) I usually put Vigilance on the Healer, so I can taunt whatever is attacking them off of them.
    (2) Start the event, Wave 1.
    (2.1) I can pull fine, I TC right when I have the two or three that come with that wave close enough to me.
    (2.2) Then I throw Shockwave, then start with a standard rotation of attacks.
    (2.3) I focus on any Priest first, the Mage(s), then the others.
    (2.3) This Wave is usually dead with three to five seconds to spare before the next wave.
    (3) Wave 2 comes in, this time the pull is a bit messy because the DPS/Heals that started in the corner don't/can't retreat back to it so I'm the only target in the mobs' LoS.
    (3.1) I follow the same fight that I did for the first wave; TC, Shockwave, etc.
    (3.2) I drop the mages down a level, turning to focus on Mercenaries instead, since they usually end up Kidney Shotting me, stunning me and causing the DPS to catch up with me in aggro.
    (3.2a) Random question: Isn't Kidney Shot supposed to be used behind the target? Sometimes I wonder because they usually pull it off when they are directly in front of me before they do that teleport thing to behind me.
    (3.3) The wave usually goes down within a moment or two prior to the next wave incoming.
    (3.3a) I do notice that I usually can only hold aggro on three, maybe four targets, before another DPS manages to out-aggro me on the spare target causing it to chase after them, and me to chase after it. =.=;
    (4) Third wave incoming. Again, very hectic, and relatively hard for me to take up aggro.
    (4.1) This wave is usually when I pop Challenging Shout, trying to salvage any remaining members from being killed, usually resulting in my own death if the healer died/is busy trying to heal himself.
    (5) Either that wave overpowers us and we wipe at that point, or we get to the Fourth wave with someone dead and then we wipe.

Anyway, the farthest I've ever made it, by some miracle, was the sixth wave, after we downed Falric (and his axe is the only proof of that achievement), before we wiped badly and the healer hopped.

So, can I get any suggestions as to how I should try tanking through the entire instance, or should I not even bother with trying this one anymore?

Sounds like you are mainly having aggro problems. Once you have enough gear and practice rounding everyone up it does get easier. The key in these situations is to get the DPS to focus fire single target DPS ... not AoE ... at least at the begining of waves. Then you can concentrate on gathering mobs (Shield Bash and Heroic Throw casters and Disarm hunters) without fear of lossing aggro.

All that said ... I absolutely hate tanking the place on my T10+ geared warrior and still prone to wiping with LFD PuGs.

Kidney Shot can be done from any direction, it is a finishing move.

Gouge can only be done from the front.

The main issue is usually getting the DPS to focus fire on the priests and mages first, and let you build threat on the rest, especially any AoE damage right off the bat. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing fine with your strategy. You really need to get used to tab targeting and spreading around some hate on packs like these if you are not already. Tab devastate and cleave. TC when its up.

One thing you can do, if possible, is to save your Shockwave for when things start to get ugly. That way you can stun them all and it gives you some time to pick them back up. But thats more of a style thing. A lot of people like to use it right off the bat to get some snap threat. I like to let stuff start beating on me and use it when I need it.

Save your Heroic throw for any mage that stops at range and starts to fire spells. HT them and taunt, if they are not already aggroed on to you, and they will move in to you. Even if you just taunt them at range, you can usually hold hate if you can keep spell reflect up. You can also charge and shield bash them, taunt and run back to your pile of adds and they should follow as well. Lettting them stand at range and blast spells adds a lot of damage and they will also cast an AoE fire spell on your entire group. So make them a priority after the priests. Just be sure to remind the dps to blow them up first and it will help you and the healer a lot.

All in all you can not do much if the DPS is retarded, running away from a tank when they pull hate, AoEing too early etc. So do not give up. I actually like to tank this one on my warrior.

Vig on the healer is not a bad thing, but you might find it more useful on any AoE melee class like a Fury warrior or Ret if they are in your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Nez View Post
    Vig on the healer is not a bad thing, but you might find it more useful on any AoE melee class like a Fury warrior or Ret if they are in your group.
    Anyone that is doing alot of AoE should be your Vig target.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Anyone that is doing alot of AoE should be your Vig target.
    The only other person I might use it on is a Lock or SPriest, Mages and Hunters all have ways to drop hate. If they can't manage that, they die nice and quick so the mobs come back to you anywise. LOL It works nice on the Rets and DPS warriors because they will yank an add and you will get some free taunt refreshes at the very least. I never have any issues tanking this one. I think its fun.
    Vig will not be a make or break factor on this right, but it can help a teeny tiny bit.

For the rotation you seem to be fine but you should put taut in the rotation to use on the range and if needed for the melee.

1. Get out of the alcove, you can't use some of your strongest abilities there - Charge, Intercept, Intervene. These are awesome threat + cc moves in HHoR. Sounds like a big problem you're having is that on subsequent waves, your dps can't get back into the hiding place fast enough. But if you get out of that corner, and actually Charge+Intercept the first two incoming mobs of each wave, then you don't need the corner anymore.

2. Bind Skull and X to ctrl+mouse buttons or some other easy-to-reach-in-combat key and mark the priest/mercenary, priest/mage, or mercenary/mage, whichever you prefer to kill first. I usually do priest/merc, and after I have solid threat on them, I'll throw/charge/intercept/shield bash the mage.

3. Vigilance the highest threat player, regardless whether healer or dps. 99.999% of the that's a dps. There are other concerns, but they all cancel each other out (eg War/Pal/DK all wear plate and don't pull adds far when they pull aggro, while mages, rogues, hunters, locks have aggro dumps, etc.). I just start by Vig'ing the highest GS dps, then switch it mid-fight if necessary.

4. Use Intervene to save either another player, or to save yourself. Say you take a string of big crits and are at 10%. Quickly Intervene whoever is furthest away, usually the healer. When the mobs chase to you, then Charge/Intercept back to the furthest ranged one. This can buy a few precious seconds to stay alive, esp if you've already blown your cd's.

5. Tidy Plates:Threat Plates are a must have if you don't already have them. See immediately when you lose threat on a mob.

6. Don't forget that once you've built a threat lead on the melee mobs and the priest, you can Charge/Intercept/Intervene to the ranged mobs, and the melee ones will follow you. You'll have enough time to Charge+Shield Slam that hunter and spell reflect the mage without losing threat on the other mobs. That's one of the beauties of War tanking.

Here's a great video showing exactly what I mean. Put your party in the hallway the LK enters and exits, then use your movement abilities to round up the mobs near the entrance.

Hmm, can't hyperlink text, so here's the url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lzBX...eature=related

-I picked the highest threat DPS to vig after wave 1
    -Tanked and set the group in the entrance alcove, giving me breathing room
    -Melee mobs are picked up with a devastate or SS each, shockwaved, then the mage is silenced and brought into the group, the hunter is charged and disarmed, then I intercept back
    -Kill order went from most dangerous to least {mercenary, priest, hunter, mage, footman}
    -Then you just sit there and control for the remainder of the wave, remembering to pick up the vision of the mage when it pops and interrupt the priest's weak heals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

What i prefer to do:

1) Leave the mage & hunter last. You can shieldreflect tank the mage easily enough as long as you remember to move out of the flamestrike that they do. Hunters are extremely annoying but they dont hurt enough that you make them a priority.

2) Kill priests first. Being cloth and usually the first one to reach you if you're doing the alcove thingie, they usually go down fast enough. Always mark to make sure everybody knows to focusfire. Interrupt the heal/fear they do and you should have no problems with him.

3) Kill mercenaries second. Their high damage output and their ability to literally tear the group apart makes them extremely dangerous. If it wasnt for the priest heals/fears, i'd rather concentrate on them first. Sometimes i even do that, make the mercenaries primary focusfire target while i keep my shieldbash ready on the priest. Use your stuns on him to reduce his damage output.

4) Kill the foot soldiers or hunters next depending on what you like. Footmen when enraged can do decent damage but nothing that should worry a decent healer. Hunters are annoying so you might want to get those out of the way first. Anyway, no melee mob without stuns should really worry a tank.

5) Kill the mage last. They split at 50% and if you manage to stun them at that transition, they dont pop their image. Stun them at around 60%ish. If you slip and an image forms, kill the image first. If you use shieldreflect properly you should be taking a lot less damage and keeping a huge aggro lead on it from range. The only thing they do that hurts a lot is the flamestrike aoe. If you move yourself and the rest of your party out of it, even undergeared healers should have no problem keeping you alive. Be careful about your party members if you go about this method though, most people love to silence them & get them into the group so they can aoe - that usually messes up your aggro.

+ Reply to Thread