+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost Death Knights In PvP

Frost Death Knights In PvP

I'm not really a fan of the idea of being completely useless besides for peels, pets, and dots. I PvP to deliver asswhooping firsthand, and I've been considering Frost for PvP but it's not very popular... Thoughts / opinions on comps / positives of going Frost?
    Question those who are certain of what they are saying.
    Favor those who are tolerant enough to understand that there are no absolute answers.

it's not very popular because you lose a lot of utility that makes dk's good in pvp. dk's are a support class, that's it. if you don't bring the support from unholy then why would people pick you?
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I guess that's true, but that to me makes Death Knights really boring in pvp. I don't think that's the way the theme of the class should play out. Think about it, we're a physical class capable of inflicting devistating magical damage, or atleast we are supposed to. I suppose I will go back to running away in travel form with my Resto Druid... or level a Warrior?
    Favor those who are tolerant enough to understand that there are no absolute answers.

I was thinking Frost would add more of a kick-butt and take names feel to the class at the sacrifice of some of the utility Unholy provides.

You'll have to define 'devastating magical damage' a bit more clearly - If you are referring to the kind of burst damage most spell casters are capable of, then unfortunately no, frost, unholy or blood DKs are currently not built for that. If you are talking about overall damage and pressure though, unholy DKs have a pretty high up time, having stronger damage at range than the other 2 specs.

If you really wanna role play, just imagine yourself as the slow moving, undead summoning and AoE spamming Lich King at the end of HoR .

That's not quite what I meant lol. I'm not "Roleplaying", I'm only saying that if Death Knights are only capable of Death Gripping and Chaining people then that's not a Death Knight by definition.

Hm, that's weird. As an unholy dk I think I do alot more than just Chains and Death Grip in arena.

I'm essential like a healer IMO, 10 second CD interrupts, plus strangulate, AMZ to shield teammates from getting mowed down too hard and that's just on the utility side.

I can put in a pretty solid pounding on anything from spell casters to plate, being it most my damage is spell based. I can pull a steady 1200-1500dps (Which in pvp is pretty nice IIRC) till I pop the gargoyle and really burn them down.

You're overlooked by most teams because you're seen as "Just a support" or you're just "too hard to kill". The latter is right, the first is not. If left to our own devices, a dk can tear through another team by interrupting heals, keeping targets where you want them, and laying down generally nice damage.

I don't see anything wrong with them at all.

Frost DKs really shine in BGs especially if you have the chilblains talent and use the glyph of howling blast. You can control the movement of an entire team which is very useful in Warsong or when a delaying tactic is needed. Usually I am in the top 5 for damage on my frost DK. As for Unholy they really shine the larger the BG is so they are really good in Warsong but are awesome in AV specially if you take the Wandering Plague and Corpse Explosion talents. You can do a lot of damage to a lot of folks in a short amount of time. This allows you to kill off the weak while your teammates kill off the stronger players that your diseases have crippled. The one ability that I have noticed that a lot of DKs overlook (except blood spec) is Death strike, after all it does heal you. If your frost, go to frost presence before you use it to max out the healing and if your unholy make sure you have all 3 diseases up to max out healing.
    Last edited by Osamurai; 07-06-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Relax, its only a rogue at your back.

I felt the way you did while i was running the standard unholy pvp spec, and i ended up trying out blood because i have bryntroll and i didn't want to go out and get two weps for frost, and i have to say i really enjoy blood. Granted in high rated arena its probably not too useful but I have been doing some 3v3 for points every week and my druid healer says he doesn't have to pay me much attention. In bg's though, which is where 80% of my pvp falls, its really great. In like the second bg i ran as blood i got wrecking ball (i was running with my priesty friend), and i am usually at the top in kb's and in the top five or six in damage done, and no i don't farm kb's at all i actually play to win. It's very, very survivable once you get a feel for it, hysteria + drw + spam heartstrike actually feels like burst, and you get RUNETAP!!! Oh how I love Runetap when it's specced into and glyphed for, pop vampiric blood before you hit it and it almost feels like a lay on hands. Plus if you can stay alive long enough, which you usually can, the short cd on runetap is great and you can pop it a couple times in a given fight.

*edit*
    sorry i guess i forgot that the post was "Frost Death Knights In PvP"
    Last edited by Jamesondrinker; 08-16-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Dont do drugs, they're bad. Why are they bad? because they are. shutup.

I have debated this Idea with my self too I seems like a good Idea in theory like using some of the tank ish talents to reduce dmg talents and also chilblains and can be Very bursty dmg done with a killing M. and deaths chill combo with Howling blast if the enemy team is close or force them close with DG, OR if their scattered DG healer and open with a chains and strangulate and mind freeze then Death's chill and frost strike or IT demending on which is stonger for you. thats kind of the up side the down side

your hit like a truck vs magic dmg
    your team can be hit like a trunk vs magic
    lack of ghoul can effect your dmg + gnawl

so my Idea is trip plate attack UH dk Frost DK and holy pally or for 5s 1 UH dk 1 Frost dk 1 rogue 1 magic (mage lock boom ely shamen) and resto shamen or druid. you get the magic dmg debuff from the UH DK the burst from a frost dk, rogue and magic and a good healer use the frost and rogue to destroy the healer and then finish the rest

could work? just an Idea
    I want to be a gnome shaman with mechanical chickens on sticks for totems

+ Reply to Thread