+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommend me a video card please. ~$70-120

Recommend me a video card please. ~$70-120

A few nights ago, my PNY nVidia 8800gt (512mb, 256 bit) finally kicked the bucket due to heat-related failure. The fan didn't step up its speed during my 25 man raid, and the core fried itself. It's operating on (what seems like) half the pipelines, as it's having some serious fillrate issues. I turned down the graphics to the lowest possible, and I can barely get through a Festergut 25 man.

Anyhow, I'm now in the market for another card. I've been reading up on the 9800gt, and it's looking like the same model as the 8800gt - can't really see many differences.

Looking for advice on what to get within the $70-120 range. Currently looking to buy through Newegg.com, as I have done business with them for over 6 years to the tune of ~$5k worth of computers (built around 6-7 for family and friends).

P.S. I've since downloaded Rivatuner to enable a constant 100% fan speed to combat any future issues.

yeah the 9800 GT(or x) is a great card, still using it on my quad core i5 and its keeping up great at 150 FPS easily

There never is any real difference between graphics models. The 9800 GT is slightly faster than the 8800GT, and the 9800 GT is only slightly slower than the GTX 280. Just how the video card industry works. Once and while there is a HUGE increase of technology or performance, but those are few are far between.

To be honest, if you want to make any significant increase in performance, your probably going to have to spend more than $120.

But anyway, being the ATI person I am, the 9800 GT equivalent is the HD4770, but the HD4850 is about the same price as the 9800GT, so I would recommend going that route.

I'm not looking for a performance increase over the 8800gt. I was extremely satisfied with the card, and I would continue to recommend it to anyone (with the footnote of DL'ing the aftermarket utility to monitor heat/fan).

I was just mostly curious what else was out there for that price range, and/or if anyone could vouch for the 9800gt.

My 9800GTX bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and I picked up a ATI 5750 for $139 on sale. 1 gig ram. I am not a huge techie for the details, but am quite happy with it for the price.

What happened to the card, Nez? How long did you have it for? And what case/cooling are you running?

I also have a radeon hd 5750 and picked mine up for under $130 on sale. It was part of an all new system build. It runs extremely well and cool with it's fan and my 4 case fans. In the same price range of under $140 you can also find an Nvidia GTS 250, which is also a very good card. The main differences between these two are the ram speed and type (the cards' on-board ram) and the ATI card supports DirectX 11 while the Nvidia doesn't. These two cards are better than the 9800 GT or GTX and are in the same kind of price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130339

This is the one that was recommended to me after my first card crapped out. Very satisfied with it just make sure you have the power to run it first. i know its not in your price range but after the rebate it is! lol
    Last edited by Padinbann; 06-22-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    I am actually older then your jesus i wish i could of known him....but i missed it. Godrick True Blood

The 8800, 9800, and 250 are all the same processors with slightly tweaked buss speeds and more onboard memory as you move up in generation. I notice a marked increase in speed from the 8800 to the 9800 GTX+ black edition (good luck finding that) but probably because it's overclocked to 738mhz from the factory. The 250 (in my wifes machine) is noticably faster than my 9800, and it only operates at 680mhz but has 1gb of ram (as opposed to 512mb).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...48&name=NVIDIA here it is. If you notice it's close to your price range after rebate, and will take SLI expansion later. Also, it's from XFX, so it has a lifetime warranty on it and if you sell it the next guy gets that lifetime warranty too (so it keeps its resale value even when sold used).

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

This has been something I have been searching around for sort of. PCI-E Nvidia 8400 GS fan went to crap on me about a month ago and the on board graphics cards isn't the greatest. (intergrated 6150 SE or something like that). Anyways, looking for a decent video card and probably a power supply for my HP a6110n. its pretty much stock right now with 1gb extra RAM put in it. Any thoughts or Idea's to improve the 15FPS i have now would be appreciated.

Edit: I would like to stay away from cards with Fans on them. I've had too many just stop working to keep buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhatchet View Post
    Edit: I would like to stay away from cards with Fans on them. I've had too many just stop working to keep buying them.
    Any card worth its salt is going to have a fan on it. I don't even know if anyone makes one without a fan anymore. Ever try cleaning out your case? Turning your shopvac/blower into a giant compressed air can works wonders every 3 months or so.

Also, get the XFX as they will replace/repair the card for free even if the fan dies. You won't find a good card without a fan unless you get a built-in with the motherboard.

Also, you said an 8400? That's not a very good card, and is pretty old. I'm pretty sure you got whatever life it had out of it before it died. You got your money's worth, get another card with a fan and when it dies in 2 years because you didn't clean it, you'll have gotten your money's worth out of that too...and then you can send it in to xfx and get it fixed for free.

Well pretty much your calling me lazy. But its actually the opposite, i clean my computer monthly if not twice a month. With a dog running around that sheds a lot of hair you tend to keep up on things.

I have 2 German Shepherds and 3 cats, all inside the house 24/7. I get the animals thing. What I'm saying is not that you are lazy, what I'm saying is good luck finding a good graphics card that will do what you want without a fan on it. (Also that you got WAY MORE than your moneys worth out of that 8400 if it lasted this long, since they haven't even been sold in almost 2 years).

If fans are that big of an issue for you and your dog, get a liquid cooling system for your PC, take off all the fans, and just run that. You can get waterblocks for pretty much every card and processor out there. Northbridge, Southbridge, CPU, GPU, and probably 4 or 5 other things that I have no idea why you would cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    If fans are that big of an issue for you and your dog, get a liquid cooling system for your PC, take off all the fans, and just run that. You can get waterblocks for pretty much every card and processor out there. Northbridge, Southbridge, CPU, GPU, and probably 4 or 5 other things that I have no idea why you would cool.
    I can tell you that liquid cooling is more of a pain than just using air cooling and fans.

But he is right, any video card worth a damn nowadays will have a fan on it. Video cards simply just run to hot to be cooled on air cooling. There are video cards out there today that still have the heat sink cooling, but they are not designed for gaming, so you will get crappy performance. Usually video cards without a cooling fan are just for people that wish to hook up their computer to their HD TV using an HDMI port to watch movies or whatnot.

Personally, I much rather risk destroying the cooling fan on my video card and not the GPU itself. Cooling fans are significantly cheaper to replace than an entire video card.

Any card worth its salt is going to have a fan on it. I don't even know if anyone makes one without a fan anymore.
    - 9800GT
    - HD5670 #1
    - HD5670 #2 (unavailable yet)
    - HD5750 #1
    - HD5750 #2
    Any single one of them will run WoW fine, under two restraints : a. resolution up to 1900x1200, and b. sane usage of extShadowQuality.

Furthermore, there are quite a few cards that are addressed to the HTPC segment. Some of them can actually run (given more relaxed settings) a game or two, e.g. HD5570.

ATi Radeon HD 5770

+ Reply to Thread