+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Survivability Issues

DK Survivability Issues

So, a couple of my friends and I decided we're going to start up a 10-man guild to get ready for cataclysm. Up until this point, I had been playing a prot paladin as my main. One of my friends in said group is a paladin as well, though, so I offered to main switch to my DK so that we could a) have class variety in our group, and b) grab 10% AP, because we've got a fury warrior and rogue as our melee.

I've been running pugs to get more gear and be ready, because we'll be basically jumping right into HMs on 10. However, in said pugs, I find that my survivability is very... questionable, at best. I've tried many specs, tried gemming more avoidance, tried gemming more stamina, et cetera.

I'm working on getting professions for my character as well at the moment. Most of the way done with mining.

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...lleria&cn=Ache

I also intend to spend my next badges on getting the non-tier badge chest, and I have a friend who is saving up primordials to get me crafted items. That said, I don't feel that I should be getting nearly ripped apart very often in H HoR with the gear I currently have.

Blood DKs have a very reactive survival system. I.E. you're going to take a lot of damage, you're going to look like you're taking a lot of damage, but you're also going to be healing so much of that damage that you're actually quite able to survive. You can't let spikes of damage concern you and you have to be on top of using your CDs. If you're not saving them for something (Like Festergut 3 stacks) then simply roll them and use them on CD.

I've tanked five 10m hard modes on my Paladin alt (first four + Dreamwalker), and have noticed that only Marrowgar is more dangerous as far as tank damage, than H HoR. Really. You will be yo-yoing up and down in that place, especially if you have nobody who cleanses the poisons (that wound poison or w/e it's called, the 50% healing reduction, that is a killer).

Lulia has good advice, pop your cooldowns proactively.

Cata chest and Pillars of Might will help a ton with survival, all that armor is sexay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrath View Post
    So, a couple of my friends and I decided we're going to start up a 10-man guild to get ready for cataclysm. Up until this point, I had been playing a prot paladin as my main. One of my friends in said group is a paladin as well, though, so I offered to main switch to my DK so that we could a) have class variety in our group, and b) grab 10% AP, because we've got a fury warrior and rogue as our melee.

I've been running pugs to get more gear and be ready, because we'll be basically jumping right into HMs on 10. However, in said pugs, I find that my survivability is very... questionable, at best. I've tried many specs, tried gemming more avoidance, tried gemming more stamina, et cetera.

I'm working on getting professions for my character as well at the moment. Most of the way done with mining.

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...lleria&cn=Ache

I also intend to spend my next badges on getting the non-tier badge chest, and I have a friend who is saving up primordials to get me crafted items. That said, I don't feel that I should be getting nearly ripped apart very often in H HoR with the gear I currently have.
    Hi kerrath, my death has been a tank ever since I made him, I have over 25 days logged on him and I must say you should not be getting ripped apart as a blood tank. I have experience with all the tanking classes and I can confidently say that blood tanks are probably the toughest tanks to kill in this game.

Your problem may be that you have too many dps talents, as a blood tank you should be taking all the healing talents you can get. You should take points out of bloody vengeance, dark conviction, blood gorged, scent of blood, and hysteria until you have enough to fill improved blood presence, bloodworms, mark of blood, and spell deflection. All of this should add up to more passive survivability+another defensive cd courtesy of mark of blood, making you easier to heal in the long run. Remember that like warrior you're primarily a single target tank, that means you give up aoe threat for superior survivability. You could pick up corpse explosion in the unholy tree for just one more point if you're really concerned about trash, but if you're tanking with a pally then he should be the primary tank on trash and aoe situations.

You'll know when you get it right, blood tanks are very hard to kill, once in heroic toc on the first 3 bosses I had this really bad paladin healer that made the fight very scary, even with the bad healer we downed the bosses so I decide to check the healing charts and I actually did significantly more healing than my healer did on that fight, I posted the charts and the only thing he said was "finally a dk who knows how to play". Make no mistake, blood death knights are beasts when specced/played properly.

To Explain why it may seem that you are taking more DMG then you should is a statement I've heard many-a-times "Dk's Tank With Their face' as mentioned Roll your CD's Make sure you Include your Trinkets in that, to change a bit what was stated by Arency. I Personaly Picked Spell Deflection and Mark of Blood over Rune Tap, but those are personal Choices you are way behond the point where Blood Worms and Blood Pres are anything but a waste of talents points however. Being a Blood Death Knight means you Always have an Ace up your Sleeve Death Strike, VB+DSx2 = Full Health bar The majority of the time, This is a Major help to your healers.

Which leads me to my Second point, while rolling your CD's is nice and should always be done when you don't need to save them, sometimes you will just have to watch your Health bar, Personally If my HP is below 50% Ill Dump two DS's even if I'm dumping All my Deathrunes. It's just another Survivability thing you can do, and noteworthy when doing this you can still maintain a Decent amount of threat, however I'm Glyphed For Disease(Who needs blood runes when you have Icy Touch) So it's easier for me to Dump DS's and still maintain my Diseases.

-US|Thrall|Oit

more like who needs glyph of disease when IT is so beneficial for threat anyway

And I wouldn't advise tanking w/o rune tap, you CAN, but it is so useful to have as an emergency cd due to the short cd

I haven't Spec'd into Rune Tap Since Nax, If you are getting so low that 40% is a deal breaker then you are Either undergeared or your healers are failing. I feel the increased swing to swing threat from the Crit/physical dmg increase on crit talents are much better spent, but to each their own on that

And Glyph of Disease is simple, I'm a lazy tank, I've not needed the extra threat from glyphed IT So why get it when in Essence you can get More IT's out of Disease In a long boss fight

because spamming it is pointless when you are using it every 15-18 seconds to refresh frost fever, and there is no glyph involving icy touch worth using for a tank, and I never said rune tap will make you or break you, it just might be that extra tool in your toolbox if say, healers are dead and you need to buy a few more seconds, as opposed to extra threat, which as you said you can get with a couple icy touchs or a rune strike anyway

+ Reply to Thread