+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Warrior Tank Rotation

The Warrior Tank Rotation

I'm a fairly geared warrior tank looking for some tips on the optimal rotation for high threat generation. I don't really have any major problems with threat, but I would like to be able to increase my threat generation to give certain threat hogs (i.e. hunters) some more leeway, especially at the beginning of a fight.

Also, I usually raid tank with a DK tank and compared to his threat generation, mine is comparatively low. At the outset of a boss fight, there is almost no way I can ever generate more threat than him. In the first few second of the fight, his threat shoots up to the 50k range easily and by that time I've only been able to get a few attacks off.

I don't use a rotation exactly, more of a priority queue which goes (in order of importance):
    - shield slam
    - revenge
    - shockwave
    - devastate
    - heroic striking as rage allows

I'm more concerned with my burst threat abilities at the onset of the pull, as I generally don't have problems with sustained threat (except for hunters occasionally). Should I be doing something slightly different to increase burst threat at the start of a fight? Also, any tips on increasing sustained threat would be great.

Here's my armory if it helps:
    http://www.armoryx.com/anonymous-wow-profile/3041425

i also suffer this problem, all ive done to manage this is over vent or in raid chat i just ask for 3 seconds to build some aggro, and my guild and most pugs will respect this enough, im not saying this is ideal, but its what i have to do

Mocking blow, and you've got enough time. I usually start with shockwave though, because it can't be dodged/parried.

charge, devastate, move back 2 steps to get them to come to you, thunderclap, then shockwave stun them all and use cleave too... (3 to 5 secs)

move behind them to turn them away from your group caster's and other melee players, then proceed to TAB - devastate/shield slam/revenge through most of the group till they're all focused on you good. if you have good rage of more than 50, use cleave again too.

on 2 or more mobs, i would taunt 1 monster to act as rage battery (got this tip/term from reading in this forum), he keeps hitting me, i get more rage to use cleave more often and even heroic strike to help finish off the leftovers...

when i am lucky to have high dps group, each encounter doesn't last 30secs on most trash mobs... not really enough time to worry about losing aggro....

also if you have dps monitor, don't forget to cast vigilance on highest dps'er...
    Last edited by SeptimX; 06-19-2010 at 01:58 AM.

I generally do fine on trash packs, it's the boss fights I could use more threat on at the beginning. And yeah, I usually vig the hunter which helps, but I still can't keep up to the DK.

If you're charging into the pull for the starter rage use Heroic Throw just before the charge. They should go off at the same time, and your GCD should be up by the time you get to the boss. Shockwave or Shield Block + shield slam and stack the devastates. I can't see your glyphing because of the lame-o armoryx link, so I can't comment on what you're using there.

what I do at the beginning of boss fights is use mocking blow, it gives you 6 seconds to build up some aggro.

First, the hunter SHOULD be md'ing you on a pull.

Secondly, if a hunter ever dies from pulling aggro, then they deserve it because they aren't smart enough to watch threat and use their 30 second cd aggro drop

Personally I start the mob pull with charge (which is a given and Im sure you do as well) just to build some rage which allows me to throw out more moves and build my threat quicker. And I would agree there really isn't a rotation like a DPS spec would have... but more of a priority listing.

After charge I use:
    Shockwave (it's a mass stun, and causes a lot of threat right off the bat and gives you some time to have the mob to yourself)
    Thunderclap (thunderclap is another big threat gain, and since warriors are kind of lacking in AoE mob tanking it's best to get your AoE's out there first)
    Devastate x3 (If you have the devastate glyph, and I suggest you get it, your devastate will stack twice per hit)
    Rend (Extra DPS and more threat... rend is a little underestimated as a warrior tank. But you have to consider it's a dot which is basically extra threat at no rage costs, and you don't have to spam it... just reset it)
    Shield Slam (huge threat builder and does some pretty decent damage too)
    Concussion Blow (Same has shield Slam... Does decent damage, plus a stun, and it causes a lot of threat)

After that, it's pretty much just maintain, maintain. You need to keep your Devastate and Rend, up. And I suggest you use your Revenge ability as soon as it's available. It does a bunch of damage which equals more threat. I also suggest using cleave every once in a while, but ONLY if you have the rage for it. Personally, If I'm at max rage I spam Cleave twice, which will knock me back down to about 60 rage, which pulls a little extra threat from your target and an enemy nearby... so it's like a double whammy. And on Casters it help to build threat if you throw a shield bash out there, as well as any of your stuns, like shockwave or concussive blow (even War Stomp if you're a tauren).. Each of these causes less damage to you and the raid, because of the interrupt and builds more threat.

If you'd like you could use your shield block ability every now and then to cause an instant Revenge proc, and even give the healer a little bit of an easier job... Which is something I personally do in raids (mainly ICC) is I keep my 3 damage reducing CD's on as often as possible... I use Shield Block, then Shield Wall (once Shield Block is down) and once Shield wall expires I throw on my Corded Skeleton shield... Apart from Shield block non of these really help your threat, but they do help out your healers... which as a tank our main job is to keep the raid safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepka View Post
    Personally I start the mob pull with charge (which is a given and Im sure you do as well) just to build some rage which allows me to throw out more moves and build my threat quicker. And I would agree there really isn't a rotation like a DPS spec would have... but more of a priority listing.

After charge I use:
    Shockwave (it's a mass stun, and causes a lot of threat right off the bat and gives you some time to have the mob to yourself)
    Thunderclap (thunderclap is another big threat gain, and since warriors are kind of lacking in AoE mob tanking it's best to get your AoE's out there first)
    Devastate x3 (If you have the devastate glyph, and I suggest you get it, your devastate will stack twice per hit)
    Rend (Extra DPS and more threat... rend is a little underestimated as a warrior tank. But you have to consider it's a dot which is basically extra threat at no rage costs, and you don't have to spam it... just reset it)
    Shield Slam (huge threat builder and does some pretty decent damage too)
    Concussion Blow (Same has shield Slam... Does decent damage, plus a stun, and it causes a lot of threat)

After that, it's pretty much just maintain, maintain. You need to keep your Devastate and Rend, up. And I suggest you use your Revenge ability as soon as it's available. It does a bunch of damage which equals more threat. I also suggest using cleave every once in a while, but ONLY if you have the rage for it. Personally, If I'm at max rage I spam Cleave twice, which will knock me back down to about 60 rage, which pulls a little extra threat from your target and an enemy nearby... so it's like a double whammy. And on Casters it help to build threat if you throw a shield bash out there, as well as any of your stuns, like shockwave or concussive blow (even War Stomp if you're a tauren).. Each of these causes less damage to you and the raid, because of the interrupt and builds more threat.

If you'd like you could use your shield block ability every now and then to cause an instant Revenge proc, and even give the healer a little bit of an easier job... Which is something I personally do in raids (mainly ICC) is I keep my 3 damage reducing CD's on as often as possible... I use Shield Block, then Shield Wall (once Shield Block is down) and once Shield wall expires I throw on my Corded Skeleton shield... Apart from Shield block non of these really help your threat, but they do help out your healers... which as a tank our main job is to keep the raid safe.
    For max tps on single target (ie. boss), You wouldn't want to waste gcd's on rend or concussion blow. Rend goes off weapon damage and tank weapons don't really have very high damage and concussion blow is no longer worth keeping on cd since it was nerfed a few months ago.

A max single target tps rotation would consist of shield slam on cd or proc, revenge on proc and spamming glyphed devastate while keeping tclap and demo shout buffs on the boss. I wouldn't bother with shockwave either unless you have the t10 2p but even then it's not something thats mandatory to keep on cd.

Never cleave on single target either, heroic strike will always be better and you really shouldn't have to worry about rage problems with spamming HS like you do as a warrior dps. i personally have hs macro'd to my shield slam, revenge and devastate because rage is never really a problem when you have an icc boss slapping you in the face.

You should be using Shield Block on cd (unless you know theres a burst of damage inc soon, then you can save it to combine with a cd if you wish). It will make your shield slams hit for a ton compared to normal and its a great way to get some burst threat at the start of a fight. On pulls, I normally charge in and since charge does no damage (ie. no threat) i'll usually thunderclap as i get to the boss (or as im passing through him since charge likes to make us pass through mobs a lot), just to get him on me, then i'll backpedal him into position and as im doing so i pop shield block and hit a shield slam then start spamming devastate to get sunders up, hitting sword and board procs in between (especially while shield block is up). Tclap won't do a lot of threat but since you're charging in, you're already 20-25 feet ahead of your dps so you have time to get a few globals in once you get positioned before the dps start on him, and its a good way to make sure you gets on you right away and not the tree who just threw a hot on you or the priest who shielded you on the way in.

Doing that alone will give me ~70-80k threat within about 5-10 seconds of pulling, and that's not counting any tricks/md you receive (which should ALWAYS be used on a pull unless theres a mechanic early on that it needs to be saved for)

If you have the rage available, you can queue a heroic strike before you charge and have it land with your first blow. Personally, I like to open with heroic throw, followed by a charge/shield slam+heroic strike.
    Last edited by Griff; 06-28-2010 at 11:07 AM.

^ That's what I do. Bloodrage, queue up HS, or you don't even need bloodrage if you can time it right on the charge, you get the rage instantly even before you hit your target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread