+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanks and hit rating

Tanks and hit rating

Im just curious,how important is hit rating really for a tank?

It isn't very important, if you get some on your gear great, but other than that just ignore the stat.

If you are in a taunt-sensitive fight, using the glyph of taunt and maybe switching in a piece or two that has more hit might help. Otherwise focus on armor and stamina solely. Threat is mainly determined by rotation and spec, gear has some to do with it but it's at the bottom of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I try to be taunhitcapped in raids, eating hit food for it if needed.

But since so much gear has hit rating these days, and you only need about 160 hit rating to reach the taunt hit cap (less for alliance with a draenei present, more for raids without the 3% spell hit debuff, you need 17% total), it's not something you should worry about.

There are many tanks that don't worry about the taunt hit cap, and most fights don't have a "taunt now or wipe" moment, so going with less is entirely acceptable.
    (Most fights with a taunt requirement give you a ten-second window to taunt - that means you can try twice if you are quick about it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I always use 160+ hit and tauntglyph (horde here) cause i hate missing taunts and on some fights its needed. For the rest its purely a threat stat which isn't needed.

I would say it's dependent on the class, too. As a DK tank, when I had 153 hit rating, I was doing so-so threat on bosses. Once I changed a few gems to +20 hit, my threat vastly increased.

Think about it -- if getting hit capped is the number one way a DPS can increase their output, it is then logically the way us tanks will get more consistent and higher threat. However, it comes as a sacrifice of stamina for us. I'd say if you're having threat problems, just use some +hit gems a little more at a time until you're producing enough threat.

The number one way DPS increases their output is a solid rotation. Same with tanks and threat.

After that I've found a good threat weapon and glyph of devestate (as a prot warrior) to be far more valuable than hit.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Thx for all feedback guys^^

Quote Originally Posted by Katharsis View Post
    I would say it's dependent on the class, too. As a DK tank, when I had 153 hit rating, I was doing so-so threat on bosses. Once I changed a few gems to +20 hit, my threat vastly increased.

Think about it -- if getting hit capped is the number one way a DPS can increase their output, it is then logically the way us tanks will get more consistent and higher threat. However, it comes as a sacrifice of stamina for us. I'd say if you're having threat problems, just use some +hit gems a little more at a time until you're producing enough threat.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    The number one way DPS increases their output is a solid rotation. Same with tanks and threat.

After that I've found a good threat weapon and glyph of devestate (as a prot warrior) to be far more valuable than hit.
    This, and sig. Works for all classes.

Good Rotations, Proper Spec and Glyphs does you no good if you can't hit though.

Even as a DW DK tank, you hit shouldn't have a profound impact on your threat, rotation does. It's not bad for threat though, but as everybody has already stated, theres some in gear and food buffs are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Good Rotations, Proper Spec and Glyphs does you no good if you can't hit though.
    Analyze the math first before making such statements.

Against level 83 mobs, you have a 5.6% chance to miss targets. Saying you can't hit is really insane given you already can hit 94.4% of the time. You are just reducing that 5.6% down to 0% chance to hit.

With respect to taunts, glyphs reduce by 8% out of 17% miss rate. Given spell hit increases faster with hit rating, 8% melee hit rating puts you at 10+% spell hit, and with the glyph you are over 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Ignorant post is ignorant. I won't say why since the info is there for the taking right here on the site. And against 83, you have an 8% miss chance, 5.6% is the chance they have to crit you with base defense skill and none from gear.

+ Reply to Thread