+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help tanking the Blood Prince Council

Help tanking the Blood Prince Council

Hi all,

Today I have encountered some problems with the Blood Prince Council fight.

I am a paladin tank, the other tank was a DK. I was supposed to take aggro on Valanar and Taldaram, while the DK tank went for Keleseth (shadow prince).

So I did hand of reckoning on Valanar once I was in range for it and kept running to him. Taldaram was coming towards me as well. But then, I lost aggro on Taldaram to the healer and we wiped. It happened twice...
    It went ok on the first time, since I was standing near them when the battle started. But after a first wipe, they don't need to be awaken again, they attack when approached. Last week it went ok, btw. I don't know what I did differently then.

I am not sure how to pull the 2 bosses together, since they stand a bit apart of each other.

Any advice is appreciated!

The way we do it is that the tank that is not tanking Kelseth runs in and body pulls while taunting Valanar. The other tank then taunts Kelseth to him.

So in your case the DK could death grip Kelseth to him. Also at this point you should be able to take at least 1 or 2 hits without needing a heal so maybe your healer can hold off for a second to let you gain aggro. Also you could get druid HoT's (I believe) and/or Disc Priest shield if your group allows for it.

Finally (or maybe first) a hunter should be MD'ing Taldaram to you which should stop any healing aggro long enough for you to build up threat - a hunter should be doing this every fight anyway.

Depends on your group composition in the main. Could you please describe your typical setup? The previous week you may have had a hunter or rogue in your group?

We sync the pull on Vent - I tank Keselth with our bear tank on the other 2; we both run in at the same with me running to the LHS of Keselth, the bear runs in a straight line between the other 2. We've not needed to use anything other than timing in order to get it right.

Sounds like the healer was dropping something on you as you ran in - tell him to share the love after you've got the 2 picked up.

Thank you for you help!
    1. I think last week I was running before the healers, so by the time they throw heals on me, I had the 2 bosses aggored.

2. I also thought of hunter misdirect, we almost always have a hunter with us, so thanks for approving it.

3. Body pulling while tauting Valanar is exactly what I did, and this is why I lost aggro on Taldaram so quikly... So I thought that maybe I will try Hand of Reckoning on Valanar, then Avenger's Shield on Taldaram, then consecration, then HotR when they are both close.
    What do you think?

4. I thought that priest shield has threat just as the healing spells. Why is shield better than a heal in terms of threat? I mean, I won't loose threat due to overhealing, right?

As a warrior i charge the one in middle and taunt the right. So basically for you i would suggest taunting the one on the far right and smashing the one in the middle with your biggest threat attack. Once they are together you shouldnt have a problem holding aggro.

Huh ???? Your a pally throw your dam shield at Valanar and if you need hand of reckoning for tala.

Even if you get the left one the OT will simply taunt it off you.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Animor View Post
    Hi all,

Today I have encountered some problems with the Blood Prince Council fight.

I am a paladin tank, the other tank was a DK. I was supposed to take aggro on Valanar and Taldaram, while the DK tank went for Keleseth (shadow prince).

So I did hand of reckoning on Valanar once I was in range for it and kept running to him. Taldaram was coming towards me as well. But then, I lost aggro on Taldaram to the healer and we wiped. It happened twice...
    It went ok on the first time, since I was standing near them when the battle started. But after a first wipe, they don't need to be awaken again, they attack when approached. Last week it went ok, btw. I don't know what I did differently then.

I am not sure how to pull the 2 bosses together, since they stand a bit apart of each other.

Any advice is appreciated!
    I wait until I am in range of Val, HoReck to him, turn to Tal, judge and frisbee him. Frisbee usually hits both, which is a plus, and square's square, and they are both in my control. My running path is a spot between the two.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

In 10 man we still use another class to tank keleseth while the 2 tanks pick up valanar and taldaram. Taldaram needs to be kept facing away from the raid, but other than that it's pretty simple. We have a shadow priest running the orbs and keleseth during all parts of the fight, and just tell DPS if they AOE on the shadow boss (pulling or killing orbs) and wipe the raid because of it we kick them from the raid for 2 weeks.

Its not a DPS race fight, you can no-brain yourself on this with 3 tanks and 2 healers as long as your people know the mechanics and how to move their feet.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    In 10 man we still use another class to tank keleseth while the 2 tanks pick up valanar and taldaram. Taldaram needs to be kept facing away from the raid, but other than that it's pretty simple. We have a shadow priest running the orbs and keleseth during all parts of the fight, and just tell DPS if they AOE on the shadow boss (pulling or killing orbs) and wipe the raid because of it we kick them from the raid for 2 weeks.
    We found that our ranged tanks couldn't take the empowered shadow lance, even with 4 orbs attached to them. Given that only one (who has not been online in over a month and we didn't want to wait to see if she showed up again) had a SR/Stam set, we just decided to use our DK OT to grab Keleseth while I took the other two. I have just shy of 63k buffed, so I could take the hits, and he as just shy of 62k and could take the shadowlance if for some reason the SR from the orbs wasn't sticking quite right.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

remember, when the prince is not empowered, his hp pool is 1, so hammer of righteousness can be used,

We had a lot of success with a warlock tanking the shadow prince while I grabbed the other two. As a warrior it was mostly SS with Rev/TC on Valanar to keep aggro on him while builidng up a lead on the other tank, with Devestates thrown in to fill. Then when the orb switched, repeat the process on the other boss.

While Keleseth is empowered I just TC/Cleaved/Shockwave/Revenged on both building a bigger threat lead on both. This was though the rogues can ToT you while the Hunter MDs them to you also. I'm also at 70k, so the healers hit me with a some pre-hots/bubbles and don't heal for a few seconds because I'm more than good.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Also again as Tal's hp=1 hunter md can be killshot for huge aggro boost :-)
    So long and thanks for all this fish

It's easy, do what I do.
    (Sorry, I can't remember their names. The names I use should be descriptive enough.)
    Make sure YOU pull. Run in with Knockbackboy targetted, throw your shield at him. Use your mousover hand of reckoning macro on Fireboy. Cast consecration, cast holy wrath as soon as fireboy is close enough, start 969.
    You could start the fight with seal of command up, the splash helps a bit as well, but I found it overkill.
    (If you have aggro problems after that, check your recount to see if people are pumping their dps by dpsing the wrong target. If you can post a log, I could check for it too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

We've been doing a DK tank (me) doing Keleseth and a warrior pulling the other two. As a DK, we have no problems running around grabbing nuclei with Death Coils, taunts, Icy Touches, and Death Grips, and our CDs are suited to Keleseth's attacks. I'd recommend it, but then again, I'm biased.
    Last edited by Katharsis; 06-29-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Re: Help tanking the Blood Prince Council

I'm betting it wasn't so much clothie tank fail as it is healer fail.

3 heal it if you're having issues with a cloth tank. We do 3 orbs and he lives through the damage fine. Hell, he lived thru it at 0% buff, your healers better figure it out at 25%.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

+ Reply to Thread