+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High dps bear tank

High dps bear tank

Has anyone built a high dps bear tank, if so please post armory link am currently in the process of building one and would like to see what others are doing. Would post armory link but i dont know how too.

Hello dastrand, Can I ask when you say high dps do you mean high tps? As a bear tank I havent worried about my dps as long as the boss or add is looking at me when everyone is going mental then all is good. If your talking about tps then you can look at my build (its not the best but I like it) (As I am at work cant put the link up for my char) but if you want to armoury its reek on Nordrassil eu.If thats not what you wanted then soz laters reek

dps

no i am not talking about tps but high dps usually translates to high tps. When i say high dps im talking 5-6k dps on saurfang or the equivilant. And the reason im looking in to doing this is with icc raid buffs survivability is becoming less of an issue with 65-70k health.

So what can of choices in gear and spec are you looking at to give you 70k health and 5-6k DPS?

The highest DPS increase for a bear is going to be with max hit, expertise and high armor pen. It is, in short, going to look very similar to a max DPS cat build, save the emphasis on agility; strength is better. Something like Cryptmaker is ideal for high threat.

I've not tried tanking Saurfang, but I regularly do 5k DPS on bosses in heroics in my cat set, with around 45k health. Swap a couple stam trinkets and get raid buffed, and I'd probably be around 60k in ICC currently.

i already have 70k health dependant upon trinket choice what im looking for someone who is doing a bear dps tank, it sounds stupid but with the current icc buffs it gets kind of boring until you get to lk nothing hits super hard. Just kinda opening up discussion on the idea. If you want to look me up name is dastrand us rexxar

Heya.

I had a similar curiosity to make a high DPS bear tank.

I use my regular tanking gear and spec, but swap out all my defense items for much lower level armor pen agility items, and my trinkets for Banner of Victory and Needle Encrusted Scorpion. Unbuffed, this gives me the armor pen soft cap, as well as just under 60% crit with just over 40k health and 32k armor.

I use the set in heroics and low damage boss fights. Rotface 25 man normal I can get around 6.5k DPS, which isn't bad considering that most of the gear I'm putting in is 232. If you look on world of logs for record DPS for tank specs, though, you will find some very interesting numbers. Bears, prot warrs and tankadins can all manage well above 8k. Obviously though there are some fights where you will still want the full EH - if you die on festergut using gear with 15k less UB health than you could have equipped, that's only your own fault and you've caused a wipe.

I use Endless rage flask, change trinkets, libram(idol), and rings for trash and easy fights in ICC 10. You shouldn't need to go much further than that, becuase your raids DPS should be pretty decent by ow anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by reek View Post
    Hello dastrand, Can I ask when you say high dps do you mean high tps? As a bear tank I havent worried about my dps as long as the boss or add is looking at me when everyone is going mental then all is good. If your talking about tps then you can look at my build (its not the best but I like it) (As I am at work cant put the link up for my char) but if you want to armoury its reek on Nordrassil eu.If thats not what you wanted then soz laters reek
    Hey Reek, got a specific question for you, i see you have 38 expertise, and u still have Primal Precision, do bears need more exp, to get near the parry cap, or is my descision to put those PP points in for example King o/t Jungle a good alternative. I have 30 exp. atm.

Hey Reek, got a specific question for you, i see you have 38 expertise, and u still have Primal Precision, do bears need more exp, to get near the parry cap, or is my descision to put those PP points in for example King o/t Jungle a good alternative. I have 30 exp. atm.
    For a purely damage/TPS perspective, nothing beats primal precision before the parry cap (which is 56-60 depending on who you talk to). The only thing that comes close is primal gore or the actual mangle talent (not imp mangle, just mangle). KotJ is at best a 1% DPS/TPS increase per point, and that's if you use it at every possible opportunity.

I like KotJ, but you shouldn't be giving up PP for anything unless you have 56+ expertise skill from stats.

I was messing around with a build this week just for fun, http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZxGGscrzceoc0uAkbAc0b

as for my gear, I run with a set that has 58 expertise skill (including talents) and 8.2% hit. The gear is more or less identical just my tank set with stam is 277 and the DPS gear is the 264 versions with ArP gems. I use my tanking helm though for the 32 stam meta (at least at 20% i was) and my tanking neck because I dont really have a dps neck. I would say check wowmeter but it is probaly flooded with the 25% parses. From the first week of 20% I held the TPS records for bears first place on 5 different bosses (with my HLK spec which had 1/3 feral instinct and no ferocity). Must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    The highest DPS increase for a bear is going to be with max hit, expertise and high armor pen. It is, in short, going to look very similar to a max DPS cat build, save the emphasis on agility; strength is better. Something like Cryptmaker is ideal for high threat.
    Many druids carry the proverbial cat set, and if it's halfway decent it should be gemmed with ArPen, instead of agility in earlier tiers. The question then becomes the relative value of ArPen versus a strength gemming. Also, Agility in bear form isn't all that bad, I'm thinking you are less likely to be crit capped in bear form as the same gear in cat form.
    This also brings to question rolling on DPS strength necklaces/rims. I'm sure that will make you popular with the plate wearers when you tell them why you are rolling on it.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ght&n=Darksend

I logged out in my TPS gear, assuming it updates I probably wont log on again till tuesday

darksend do you not have trouble with taunts missing due to low hit and your gear is amazing by the way

on taunt sensitive fights, you can glyph for taunt.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It's easy enough to weapon swap to something with hit on it and use a glyph of taunt. Glyphs are consumables; always think of it that way.

I know this is probably somewhere else but since the right people are replying ill ask the question what glyphs are you standard glyphs for endgame content im currently using maul si and fr as my standard glyphs.

Maul, SI, FR, Growl and Mangle are glyphs I have. Of them, I don't ever swap out SI and FR. I trade between maul, growl and mangle.

I use growl on any fight that I need taunts
    I use mangle on any single target fight
    I use maul otherwise.

Figured out the solution to my issue i just started using dbw up until lk, and am in the top 7 dps in toc 25, just thought i would finish the thread.

+ Reply to Thread