+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fairly New Protection Paladin looking for advice

Fairly New Protection Paladin looking for advice

I just dinged 80 a few weeks ago. So my gear is ok and my defense is up to 470. My biggest problem i think is my rotation. I just can't seem to find one that works. It seems like i am always waiting on my timers. Any rotation advice would be wonderful. And please take a look at my other stats too and give me a hand anyway you can.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rs&cn=Palyworg

Quite a lot of work to do The short answer is to pop over to Maintankadin and read the guides and the sticky threads in Basic Training, Advanced Training and Talent Specs.

The rotation you want to be using on single targets is called the 969. It isn't possible with your current talent spec - you need at least one point in Improved Judgements (two is also fine for times when you're not sticking to a 969, e.g. add pick-up) - but is the "best" rotation in terms of threat output without compromising Holy Shield or Judgements of the Just uptime. Your core abilities for this rotation are Hammer of the Righteous (HotR), Shield of Righteousness (ShoR), Holy Shield (HS), Judgement (J) and Consecration (Cons). It's called "969" because you can split those abilities into two categories: those which have a 6 second cooldown (HotR, SoR) and those which have an (effective) cooldown of 9 seconds (HS, J, Cons). The idea is to alternate a 6 second cooldown with a 9 second cooldown and continue that way indefinitely, for example:

SoR, HS, HotR, Cons, SoR, J, HotR, HS, SoR, Cons, HotR, J etc

When executed correctly, there are no gaps; you're hitting each ability as it comes off cooldown (or as soon as the GCD allows it). A common mistake is doing a set number of abilities then "going back to the beginning" - it doesn't work that way. Try it yourself on a dummy and you'll see that as long as you alternate a 6 with a 9 it will continue that way indefinitely.

This is the cookie cutter build, with the third major glyph slot being Judgement, Avenger's Shield, Righteous Defense or Hammer of the Righteous. That will allow you to do a 969 rotation, and will be a threat increase over what you're running now, too.

PvP gear (particularly at your gear level) is generally terrible for tanking - there are better crafted options. There are starter gear guides over at Maintankadin for you to take a look at, too.

TL;DR: you could benefit a lot from the information contained in the guides at Maintankadin
    Last edited by Lumines; 06-16-2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks for all the help

+ Reply to Thread