+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK TANK GS 5586, what gears to get?

DK TANK GS 5586, what gears to get?

I am a DK tank with gs of 5586(trinket Corpse tongue coin and Corroded Skeleton key). I have ben having some lucky drops this week that my gs has rised by 300..But I decided that I want it to be at least 5900, for the Ruby Sanctum. My HP is 41k self-buffed and about 30k armour with frost presence. AS I said, I was very lucky this week, and I won a sanctification mark too. What should I buy with the mark ( dont have any T10 piece yet) and what upgrades should I get? I do have a permanent 25man raid guild group that goes up to PP without a wipe. Thnx in advance.

Added information
    ARmory link

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ashi&cn=Tharic

If you change to a proper blood tanking spec you'll find life a little better..
    This is pretty much mandatory, and you get 5 points to spend.

I like my blood spec, so no. Who would say no to 20% melee haste and 10% atk power?

A tank would.
    Will of the Necropolis for a tank, haste and atp for a DPS.
    As for your question, use the mark on your gloves as the armor bonus from them is just incredible.

Next time I'd suggest you refrain using gs in your title. Armory says it all, gs is useless anyways.

Unless your raid really needs the melee haste and AP buff, they are not worth picking up while sacrificing a large value of threat.

Using the spec you currently have:

+ Attack power buff
    + 3% Increased avoidance
    + Melee haste buff
    - No will of the necroplis
    - No Hysteria
    - No blood gorged, thats +10% damage most boss fights.

Using this usual full-blood tanking spec:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcEMqI0IsbobssxhxZ0g0o

+ Attack power buff
    + Damage modifiers through Might of mograine and bloodgorged.
    + A safe net with will of the necroplis, an automatic shield wall when you are low at health.
    + 1% Dodge
    + Hysteria, a big damage cooldown that should be given to your highest physical dps.
    - Melee haste buff

I would recommend the gloves as they are the biggest EHP upgrade for 60 emblems. And you should never care about gearscore as a tank, there are too many good pieces that have a ilvl of 245-. Since you are in a guild, no one will ever demand a high GS for you and 5.5k is enough for every raid.

People who have their gearscore in the title are usually not aware what's really important. I think you need to get your priorities straight as well. Corpse tongue coin is a pretty awefull trinket and 41k hp unbuffed seems a bit low.

Aim for stamina and more armor, 50k hp unbuffed is a nice round number to aim for but it may be a bit high requiring mostly 264itemlvl gear. Its the best way to survive the new instance ruby sanctum.
    Get a proper blood tank spec, will of the necropolis is really good.
    As for the token you can do 2 things, gloves are the biggest upgrade but you could also go for shoulders and hope to be lucky in voa.
    Crafted boots might be a nice upgrade if you have the cash for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post

As for the token you can do 2 things, gloves are the biggest upgrade but you could also go for shoulders and hope to be lucky in voa.
    Crafted boots might be a nice upgrade if you have the cash for it.
    Sums it up pretty well right there. I'm partial to hoping for a freebie from Toravon each week so I'd hold the token for the shoulders or helm, but it's up to you.

You have several upgrade choices that are easily avaialble:

A) ICC10 has 2 wep drops that probably upgrades (or is Beheader > Cit Enforcer for DKs?)
    B) Vergis Belt and Gauntlets of the Kraken are both big upgrades over what you have. 60 frost each iirc?
    C) Buy 5 primoridals and give them, titansteel (which you can craft) + I think it's 12 eternal earths to a BS with a tip for Boots of Kingly Upheaval.

These don't affect GS but would be helpful
    D) Inscription at 1? If you want to level inscription, that's fine, but level. Otherwise I'd suggest switching it to JC as the 3x+51 sta gems give the biggest boost via profession you have available (+63 stamina).
    E) Are you missing a helm enchantment?
    F) PvP Shoulder enchants for +stamina
    G) How's your threat? You probably should be okay and not need the +threat glove enchant but rather the +sta enchant

I think these are are pretty boiler plate suggestions for plate tanks. I don't have a DK though so I'm not 100% sure.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by lyok0929 View Post
    I like my blood spec, so no. Who would say no to 20% melee haste and 10% atk power?
    Based on this statement, here's a few overall pointers. (Note: I am a DK tank.)

1. As a tank, your raid should not be pressuring you into Improved Icy Talons. You are a tank; that is utility enough. Leave it to a shaman with windfury or another DK frost DPS to provide this. As you said, you have a regular 25-man group. If they want that raid buff, get a DPS to provide it. Besides, we have Hysteria for raid utility.

2. You are missing several damage increasing talents. You should have these. If you are not having threat problems, it might be because the DPS coming from your raid members are sub-par.

3. I would recommend this spec, which is a slight variation of the cookie-cutter spec. I used to use the cookie-cutter build that is provided here and on other websites until I did more research. I found that many of the world-first and other high-end guilds with DK tanks use the spec that I have provided. I've switched to it, and it's fantastic. It seems to provide more threat overall and also gives even more raid utility (though not much) and/or a tanking cooldown with 1 point in Mark of Blood. You may notice that Death Rune Mastery is not included. This is not needed. Instead of Heart Striking all the time, you will Death Strike more. You will not be losing threat, trust me. Also, this forces you to self-heal more.

As for the Mark, you should purchase either the T10 shoulders or the hands, since all the other slots are 264 already. Also, get the frost emblem belt, since you still have a 245 belt.
    Last edited by Katharsis; 06-14-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    A) ICC10 has 2 wep drops that probably upgrades (or is Beheader > Cit Enforcer for DKs?)
    The single, greatest weapon upgrade for a DK tank short of Glorenzelg that drops from LK is Ramaladni's Blade of Culling and its heroic counterpart. They have every stat a DK tank wants: Stength, a good amount of Stamina, 11.1 Expertise, and 2 sockets -- and they're blue sockets. The heroic has 3 sockets. Considering you clear up to PP, this should be your priority in getting on a roll if it drops, and if you're consistently tanking, I would hope the raid leader understands this.

Strictly speaking tank wise... Mining is faster/cheaper/easier to level than JCing and you get +60 Stamina compared to +63. And yes, he's missing a helm enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    You have several upgrade choices that are easily avaialble:

B) Vergis Belt and Gauntlets of the Kraken are both big upgrades over what you have. 60 frost each iirc?
    C) Buy 5 primoridals and give them, titansteel (which you can craft) + I think it's 12 eternal earths to a BS with a tip for Boots of Kingly Upheaval.

These don't affect GS but would be helpful
    D) Inscription at 1? If you want to level inscription, that's fine, but level. Otherwise I'd suggest switching it to JC as the 3x+51 sta gems give the biggest boost via profession you have available (+63 stamina).
    E) Are you missing a helm enchantment?
    F) PvP Shoulder enchants for +stamina
    G) How's your threat? You probably should be okay and not need the +threat glove enchant but rather the +sta enchant

I think these are are pretty boiler plate suggestions for plate tanks. I don't have a DK though so I'm not 100% sure.

+ Reply to Thread