+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Darn you lady deathwhisper...Help please!

Darn you lady deathwhisper...Help please!

I was off tanking lady deathwhisper in icc 10 and after her mana shield popped she began stacking aggro debuff on our pally tank. Im a tauran prot warrior http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&cn=Dragoonal and I tried everything to pull her off of the tank. I could NOT do it, I tried mocking blow, revenge, shield slam, I even tried to challenging shout. It seemed physically impossible because the hunter pulled her off.

your hunter sucks and should either be popping FD or using misdirect. Hunters are the one class that never has an excuse for wiping a raid by pulling aggro.

Not that hard to figure out, really. Is your taunt hitcapped? Did you go back to look at the log and see if it missed?

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

if your hunter pulled aggro is simply a bad hunter. You should be able to taunt her off your OT if your having a problem with it missing take the taunt glyph. You can always switch out glyphs on a per fight basis.

I took a look at your armory and I found a big no no. Your at 535 def but with the res shuolder the cap is 536 not 535, ok fine its not a major deal but if you enchanted your helm you would be good. Also the health enchant i think its 275 is better then 10 stats for your chest. I did not look at your glyphs or spec but i can tell just from the numbers in each tree it needs some work.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Tanking-Guide has everything you need to know and will help you with your spec and any other tanking questions

My warrior tank is only level 19, but I've studied the level 80 builds. I've read that the Deep Wounds build is the highest threat generator, and seems to be the standard prot warrior spec -- have you tried that? Also, make sure you are unloading your rotations on her long before the other tank starts getting the debuff, so your threat is already 2nd to the pally long before his drops off. You actually HAVE to do this in heroic because she is untauntable.

Taunt should have worked fine since I looked at your achievements and you arent working on heroic. It could have been possible you had aggro and didnt know it? Maybe you were mashing buttons and your button wheel scrolled? Battle Stance? She has a curse that can lock out certain abilities. Not sure if that works on taunt/challenging shout.

However, using shield slam/revenge doesnt make a lot of sense since its likely the other tank had a huge lead in threat. It would have taken a TON of SS/revenges to catch up. In phase II, you cannot use revenge unless you are hit. Which means that you either a) had aggro or b) didnt use revenge.

You can get a glyph that will make taunt more reliable (Glyph of Taunt), but I suspect this was more a playability mistake than a taunt fail. I also looked at your spec and its one of the more unusual ones I have ever seen. I agree with what Goros said. Check the combat logs to see if your taunt missed.

Do you have an addon called Omen? Its a threat meter that tells you where you are in relation to total threat on the boss. If you taunted and you were not immediately tied with the number 1 threat holder, your taunt missed. Mocking Blow and challenging shout will not keep aggro as they do not actually increase your threat. This means that after the 6 seconds wears off, they will go back to the original threat leader with aggro. Of course, by then, your taunt should be back up so you can re-apply it.

Study the omen meter and try to figure out where you went wrong. My guess is that your taunt missed, your mocking blow/challenge shout got you aggro, but no threat (which explains the revenge proc) and it went back to the tank (or to the hunter) when the time ran out.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

All the above advice is great so I won't restate.

Another possible option as a warrior though would be to vigilance the pally. So even if your taunt missed, anytime the pally got hit your taunt would refresh, giving you more opportunities.

How many stacks of the debuff did you have? It could just be a freak occurance. You're slightly under hit cap so its possible that the taunt and the mocking blow missed.

Swap your Vig Glyph for Taunt. Taunt uses spell hit cap rather than melee, so you're looking at about an 8% chance of taunt missing unless I've forgotten about a change to taunt. You're looking at about a 1 in 10 chance of taunt not working with 242 hit. 1 in 11 if a space goat is around.

Vig the Hunter. Or if hes tarts using MD/FD, vig whoever is next highest on threat (may still be him)

What is your rotation? <--- threat problems start and usually end here

On your Tank build -- Swap shockwave glyph for Devastate for a big threat boost as well.

Your Spec looks out of snyc, you have a lot of rage-generating/reducing talents you don't need. I'd suggest moving to a more boiler-plate tank spec so you can get Armored to the teeth and Deep Wounds, which will do more for your threat than your rage booster/cost reducers. Aggy's guide http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-tanking-guide

You're missing some enchants and have some gemming/enchants that are sub-optimal, but right now it looks like your rotation/spec/glyphing will get you the biggest bang for your buck right now.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Possible you made her taunt immune by spamming it, you or the pally. I really can't get past the fact that half of your gear is sitting there unenchanted and you haven't leveled your professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

we single tank her (druid) in heroic while I kite adds (casters are killed) and weekly dude if needed

though we do have a rogue and hunter to pump misdirects into her, and myself, a fury warrior and holy pally to "salv" people as needed.

just spam intervene the pally tank early and often if you want to do it the right way and are having the much of an issue....

But as others have pointed out there are some spec and glyph issues you should probably look into as well, either go deep wounds or improved shouts

Ty for the responses

Thank you all for the responses the support was overwhelming.. The reason that revenge went off btw was I was also tanking the add for the quest about the brainwashed guy you dont want to kill. I will work on finding suitable enchants.

The hunter should MD to you and feign death if things look like they might get out of hand. Short of that, whack vigilance on the hunter also may help. Short of that, if it was a one off, maybe you were just unlucky.

+ Reply to Thread