+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tanking 5+ or more mobs

tanking 5+ or more mobs

hey my alt is a prot pally but im having trouble tanking 5 or more mobs at a time like ony whelps or OS3D zerg were im only tank :s

anyone got any suggestions? please post if u do thx his name is lightiswitus if u want to look at his spec please do

Seal of Command is a great talent to pick up for AoE Threat i Normally use it on Trash and then switch to Vengence for bosses when i dont have to hit anything else

i would recommend switching specs to http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...orth+Reporting

This is my pally the spec im using has been great
    I am actually older then your jesus i wish i could of known him....but i missed it. Godrick True Blood

For Onyxia, put Consecration down just as the first few adds are trickling towards you, and have Holy Shield already active when the first whelp gets to you. Seal of Command is a very sound suggestion, and I recommend you spec into it and use it for heroic trash and encounters such as the ones you're having trouble with (more on your spec in a minute). Also, don't be afraid to tab around to spread aggro around large groups of mobs.

For OS3D zergs, all you have to do is establish aggro on the adds long enough to bring them on top of the boss, at which point they'll get burned down by cleaves and incidental AoE. To that end, remember that you have multiple ways to establish snap aggro on ranged adds: Avenger's Shield, Hand of Reckoning, Righteous Defense and Judgement (although it has considerably shorter range than the other options). I highly, highly recommend running a decent set of raid frames (such as Grid, VuhDo, etc.) along with either Clique or mouseover macros. They'll allow you to instantly see who has aggro and cast Righteous Defense on them to taunt the mobs on them. Don't forget Hand of Protection, too; in the last seconds when things are getting a little hectic, HoP the healer to keep them safe from adds until Sarth goes down.

TidyPlates and ThreatPlates (the latter being a skin for the former) are also very handy for showing which mobs you have aggro on and which you don't - mobs which you don't have aggro on will have much larger nameplates than those which are on you, making them much easier to target.

More generally, your talent spec and glyphs could use some work. This is the cookie cutter build, with the third major glyph slot being Judgement, Avenger's Shield, Righteous Defense or Hammer of the Righteous. If you're especially concerned about your threat on multiple adds, you can drop Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian for 3/5 Reckoning, which is especially potent in combination with the aforementioned Seal of Command. I personally wouldn't want to lose the raid and personal utility of DS/DG for a small threat increase, but this is a thread about threat on multiple mobs, which is why I mentioned it.

The Glyph of Consecration you have tells me that you're not doing your 969 rotation on single targets (because that glyph makes it impossible to do so), so I recommend you pop over to Maintankadin and read through the stickies in the Basic Training, Advanced Training and Talent Spec forums.

Ony whelp tanking, you're reliant on Consecrate mostly. Tell your DPS to lay off until you get the whelps positioned in the middle, then you can call for DPS. If they start AoEing the moment the whelps come out, it's their own damn fault and there's nothing you can really do.

On OS3d you only have to hold splash aggro (from healing threat and maybe the occasional Whirlwind or Starfall or w/e). Doesn't he go immune by the time the third drake lands, anyways? Been a while since I did that one.

The previous poster is correct to an extent, Seal of Command is amazing for AoE tanking, but it isn't going to do everything for you and in the cases you listed, isn't such a big upgrade. If you use Command to tank Sarth, you're likely going to lose aggro (especially since all the DPS are going balls to the wall). And Command only hits three targets, not eleventeen (it's a bit more useful than Vengeance but won't help as much as proper Consecrate placement and general common sense from your DPS).

Command is nice for stuff like Gunship adds (where there are 5 or 6) or Dreamwalker adds (that die too quickly to get SoV stacks up). And of course trash and heroics. Well worth the point in my opinion, just for versatility.

i only just started using macros aswell

should i stick with macros or just place the spells on my bars like normal?

i actually have macros for each seal i use one for vengeance and the other for command

/cast Seal of Vengeance
    /equip Libram of Valiance http://www.wowhead.com/item=47661

/cast Seal of Command
    /equip Libram of the Eternal Tower http://www.wowhead.com/item=50461

so if a boss fight i have to switch from tanking adds to tanking the boss or something like onxyia i don't have to search in my bag and change out librams and librams ARE considered weapons so you can change them in combat.
    I am actually older then your jesus i wish i could of known him....but i missed it. Godrick True Blood

Quote Originally Posted by keyalanda View Post
    i only just started using macros aswell

should i stick with macros or just place the spells on my bars like normal?
    You mean like a 96969 macro? Don't do it, sometimes you're not going to stick to the rotation exactly, or you need to weave in another ability like Sacred Shield or frisbee.

yeah 96969 if not that then wat?

Quote Originally Posted by keyalanda View Post
    yeah 96969 if not that then wat?
    Just keybind the abilities. I have my 9 second abilities bound to the 2 3 4 buttons, and my 6 second abilities bound to the R and F keys, for example. Takes a little bit of practice to get used to but soon enough muscle memory will kick in.

+ Reply to Thread