So I recently took a 4month break from WoW, and an even longer break from my paladin.
I used to be in a pretty great guild and I would always get in groups. I still have the skill needed to crush through instances, speed pull, etc. But with this new generation of wow players, it seems the only thing that matters to a lot of them is gear.
I really would like to know what gear I need to get(besides from ICC, i need to get ready for that.)
- Divinity is a very weak healing increase. 1% per point is not worth it for a tank, when you can use those talent points to pick up much stronger mitigation or threat talents.
- You only need 1 point in Spiritual Attunement to keep your mana bar full.
- Seals of the Pure is far inferior to Crusade, because pretty much everything meets the criteria for the full 2% damage per point. Plus, you will be using Seal of Command for AoE tanking.
- Divine Plea glyph is a free 3% mitigation. Get it ASAP - SoV is a very good glyph, and the third slot can be pretty much anything (Judgement, HotR, Righteous Defense, Salvation - just don't use Consecrate because it breaks the rotation).
- Get the Sense Undead minor glyph and keep it on, most everything in ICC is Undead so that's a free 1% damage.
- Vindication is a mandatory talent for any raiding tank, it is actually 574 AP reduction at level 80, which is a fully buffed Demo Shout. Reduces a ton of incoming damage.
- Seal of Command is nice for AoE tanking, and of course the move speed from PoJ is very handy. Both are optional but highly recommended.
OK, so you fixed your spec and made sure that you understand the rotation, now for gear.
I would use your JC trinket over the Essence of Gossamer. More stam (if you socket it with two stam gems), and a halfway decent clicky effect.
If you have gold, get some of the crafted gear. Both of the ICC crafted pieces are superb (especially the legs) but are both expensive and lack any defense, which could be a concern to someone at a lower gear level such as yourself.
The ToC and Ulduar crafted items (245 chest and wrists, 226 belt and boots) are all pretty good, big upgrades for you and the best you can get outside of raiding. They're significantly less expensive too, on my server you could probably get all four for like 5k. I would certainly get the chest and wrists if you can afford them, followed by the belt. The boots are nice, but there is a similar level drop in one of the new dungeons (I think Forge of Souls).
So get a bunch of Triumph badges for gear. When you get up to 50 Frost badges, get the cloak, you won't be replacing that one until Cataclysm.
One more thing about gearing that has changed since Naxx (when I assume you last tanked on this toon): reaching the unhittable mark is no longer important for raiding. Block is largely useless for mitigation when tanking raid bosses. Aim for stamina, followed by bonus armor, followed by avoidance (dodge/parry/defense past 540), and then finally block rating and value go at the very bottom.
For threat stats, your #1 priority as a Paladin is to get to 26 expertise. Luckily, you get 6 from talents and 10 from a glyph, so it's not too difficult. After that strength, hit, block value, and additional expertise all have similar threat weights - I believe strength wins up until 2000 raid-buffed but I may be slightly off with those numbers.