+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vanilla Only Dedicated Server?

Vanilla Only Dedicated Server?

I was sitting at my computer thinking about the old days raiding in vanilla. While I was sitting there I had a thought that I thought would spark some interest.

What If Blizzard created a Vanilla Only Server. Level Cap is 60. No Items/Quests/Zone/ANYTHING relating to any expansions what so ever.

Then I thought they could do the same, but with BC. Same restrictions as to pertaining to having nothing to do with any other expansions.

Also once Cataclysm is released they could do the same with WotLK.

Possibly they make the content released on the server be a timed thing as to around how long it took for the patch to become live etc. It's just something I thought I would share and see what other people thought of the idea.
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 06-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Neat idea, but it won't ever happen. It's easier to maintain servers that are all using the same code base.

What you can do, and there are guilds out there that do this, is freeze your XP gain once you get to level 60 or 70, then go raid the older vanilla or BC content.

It will never happen. Even if it would, the game isn't what it was back in Vanilla.

I mean, seriously, you think blizzard would create a server that forced people back into single roles again?

Yes, it's a bloody shame that so much content isn't run anymore, but I think living in the past isn't the solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    Neat idea, but it won't ever happen. It's easier to maintain servers that are all using the same code base.

What you can do, and there are guilds out there that do this, is freeze your XP gain once you get to level 60 or 70, then go raid the older vanilla or BC content.
    Of course it's already happening, Blizzard happily maintains Burning Crusade in China and WOTLK in other regions. The maintenance would actually be easier since they would never have to patch the vanilla servers. The problem is the players on these vanilla servers won't be buying sparkle ponies and remote auction house and it may look bad to have a million of players reject their new content and happily play the old stuff they preferred.

They could always license out Vanilla and BC servers to other companies and make some money off it with minimal effort.

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge View Post
    Of course it's already happening, Blizzard happily maintains Burning Crusade in China and WOTLK in other regions.
    I thought that was due to some kind of licensing fiasco?

I thought that was due to some kind of licensing fiasco?
    I heard the Chinese government forbade the use skeletons in games.

(Damnit, third edit to get it right. Did I leave in any spelling errors this time?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I'll pass on the idea of the classic reputation grinds and 40 man zerg raids

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Of course it's already happening, Blizzard happily maintains Burning Crusade in China and WOTLK.
    And most of the real chinese players and not the gold spammers play on Taiwanese servers so they have WotLK

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

It won't be the same since all specs are generally speaking far stronger than they were two expansions ago and there's also a whole lot of new spells and abiliies, some which have completely replaced old stuff. There has been few lvl 60 guilds and they all tell the same thing, characters are just too powerful at lower levels to make it challenging, even if you were to put in talent restrictions to forbid using TBC/Wotlk talents, spells and abilities.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    It won't be the same
    Oh, I know, but that's the closest option available.

Quote Originally Posted by Qewqewmoarz View Post
    I was sitting at my computer thinking about the old days raiding in vanilla. While I was sitting there I had a thought that I thought would spark some interest.

What If Blizzard created a Vanilla Only Server. Level Cap is 60. No Items/Quests/Zone/ANYTHING relating to any expansions what so ever.

Then I thought they could do the same, but with BC. Same restrictions as to pertaining to having nothing to do with any other expansions.

Also once Cataclysm is released they could do the same with WotLK.

Possibly they make the content released on the server be a timed thing as to around how long it took for the patch to become live etc. It's just something I thought I would share and see what other people thought of the idea.
    They've said pretty blatantly that they aren't going to do this. Their reason was that they want the game to keep moving forward, etc, and it makes sense. Why would anyone encourage you to use the oldest version of their product and not buy the newest version? Apple doesn't try to convince you its really fun to use an iPod a couple generations old--in fact they come out with newer, shinier, differently shaped, new features iPods every year or two so people are encouraged to buy a new one.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....eNo=4&sid=1#61

Quote Originally Posted by Errvalunia View Post
    They've said pretty blatantly that they aren't going to do this. Their reason was that they want the game to keep moving forward, etc, and it makes sense. Why would anyone encourage you to use the oldest version of their product and not buy the newest version? Apple doesn't try to convince you its really fun to use an iPod a couple generations old--in fact they come out with newer, shinier, differently shaped, new features iPods every year or two so people are encouraged to buy a new one.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....eNo=4&sid=1#61
    They don't outright forbid you to use the old IPod though.

Blizzard said they wouldn't do it. But they also said they wouldn't allow race changing.

The main thing is there isn't much incentive for them. They spend money to create new content which we pay for. If they were to open Classic servers there would more than likely be an additional monthly charge, akin to the mobile AH.

There's also really no maintenance cost to Apple if you use the old one.

I do strongly question your assertion that a million players want this option, and further, that they'd cease playing new content. What I've heard is a handful of players pine for a vanilla and TBC only option to go back and see the content as it used to be. I guess EQ did this? But I've not seen or heard any threat of a mass exodous.

My guess is these servers would mostly be a place for players to go to when they are waiting for new patches (primarily end-game raiders on alts?) or for an occassional diversion for less-progressed players.

I am surprised that a final 1.0 patch and 2.0 patch set of servers are not options, but ulitmately, I think this is primarily because the costs exceed the returns of offering this service.

Going back to the IPOD analogy - this does have associated (and new) maintenence costs with no new revenue.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

They won't do it. And here is why.

1. Have additional hardware to run the different software versions, this costs money.
    2. They need additional employees to support the additional hardware and software versions, this costs money.
    3. Contrary to popular belief, they have to maintain that outdated software because of integration points which have changed. For instance, the 1.4 client didn't use Battle.net authentication. So as much as people would like to believe it can exist in its own little world, it actually can't. This costs money for more developers to support and retrofit changes to prior versions of the application.
    4. The user of said services is required to maintain multiple client installations. A 3.3.3 client can not run on a 1.4 server. Both client and server applications have to be at the same level in order to function correctly. There are major changes to the client software that also occurs in patches which make in incompatible with prior versions (such as the LUA core replacement in the 2.0 patch). This costs Blizzard more money to support the user's different setup.

So lets see here...

Lose Money
    Lose Money
    Lose Money
    Lose Money

Where again is this a decision Blizzard would want to make?
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I'd much rather have a server where you have to complete one tier of content before you're able to move on. As in, can't move on to outlands until AQ has been downed, or whatever the highest content in Classic was. Can't go to Northrend until BT and SWP have been cleared. Can't go to Ulduar until Naxx has been cleared.

You don't HAVE to buy BC and WotlK. It doesn't maker sense for them to convert servers to truly "old" versions of the game. The difference between wanting to play true vanilla WoW and play the original SimCity is a major one--that WoW is online so when something changes, it changes for everyone. If you want to keep playing old games forever you should learn to not play online games.

Quote Originally Posted by Errvalunia View Post
    You don't HAVE to buy BC and WotlK. It doesn't maker sense for them to convert servers to truly "old" versions of the game. The difference between wanting to play true vanilla WoW and play the original SimCity is a major one--that WoW is online so when something changes, it changes for everyone. If you want to keep playing old games forever you should learn to not play online games.
    Yep, and even people w/o BC and WotLK will see huge changes in the old world for Cataclysm.

I imagine you could find a private server somewhere that does that.
    But then again, you'd probably never be able to do any of the 40 man raids with the like 10 people that play on it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
    I imagine you could find a private server somewhere that does that.
    But then again, you'd probably never be able to do any of the 40 man raids with the like 10 people that play on it XD
    Private servers are a violation of the Terms of Service, the End User Lisence Agreement, and International Copyright Law. Please do not promote illegal activities on an official fansite.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread