+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior looking for advice about raiding.

Warrior looking for advice about raiding.

Hello All
    I'm new to this site(and forums in general). I am already learning a lot by reading other forum post so i decided I would give it a whirl.

I am a currently looking to start raiding seriously. Guildies have run me through 3 or 4 explaining the fights as we go but I fail. I want to be as good as I can be. In heroic dungeons I am a good tank IMO. I guess you could say I AOE tank. My rotation basically consists of Charge/Thunder Clap/Shockwave then a mixture of tabbing and right clicking devastate/shield slam/revenge. It works quite well in heroics but not so well in raids.

Other than learning the fights, what can I do better my chances of not being a fail tank? Gemming, Spec alterations, Gear? http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...orms&cn=Wackin
    Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks

You say you fail, how so? What kind of fails are you experiencing?

You've got some problems with your kit but nothing that's hopeless.

1. Stop gemming for defense. One you are at 540 defense (slightly less with your pvp shoulder 'chant) start gemming for stam instead.

2. Get a new enchant for your weapon. Blood draining, blade ward, mongoose (in my order of preference)

3. Armor enchant for your cloak.

4. +275 health for your chest.

5. Farm ToC-5 Regular until you get your hands on the Black heart and use it instead of the essence.

6. Fix your spec: You don't need Iron Will or Puncture. You do need Armored to the Teeth, Incite and Improved HS.

You make no mention of Heroic Strike or Cleave. If you're not using either, you should start. Heroic Strike is crucial to single-target threat, and Cleave (especially if glyphed) is a nice chunk of AoE threat. For your single target rotation, Shield Slam takes priority, then Revenge, then Devastate. And then use Heroic Strike to burn any leftover rage.

One thing that's very handy is an addon that pops up to tell you when you get a Sword and Board proc (a free Shield Slam). There are several, one of the simplest is called Alert (I think that's the name of it). Also works for procs for Fury and Arms, if you ever DPS.

Also make sure that Vigilance goes on your highest threat DPS, which is typically a melee. This is where a familiarity with different class's threat mechanics comes in handy - for example, DPS warriors have little threat reduction and no way to drop aggro besides dying, so Vigilance on a competent Fury or Arms Warrior is not a bad idea.

Yeah, your talent spec is missing a lot of key talents. Incite is one of the main reasons that Deep Wounds is so damn good for threat (both single-target and AoE), and Gag Order is a big chunk of threat as well (plus the silence is handy). Instead of those core talents, you're picking up stuff like Puncture (useless), Imp Spell Reflect (mostly a PvP talent, maybe use it for HC raiding in certain situations), and Imp Bloodrage (also useless, tiny tiny amount of rage).

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo is pretty much the standard Deep Wounds spec. The main deviation is 5/5 Shield Spec and 0/3 Focused Rage, versus 2/5 Shield Spec and 3/3 Focused Rage. I recommend the latter as you start out, then when you get comfortable with threat you can try out 5/5 Shield Spec instead and see how you like it.

For glyphs, Devastate is a solid choice, and Vigilance is OK too. For the third glyph slot though, there are several that are far superior to the Sunder Armor glyph. I love Cleaving for AoE threat, although if your problem is with single-target then it might not be a great choice. Blocking is a good one for both some threat and a small amount of damage reduction. Shield Wall is fantastic for giving you another cooldown to pop. Your decision.

Also, get the Thunder Clap minor glyph, probably at the expense of Charge.

edit: oh yeah, gear

You are way over the defense minimum, and still enchanting/socketing defense. *rolls up newspaper* Bad boy! Stam stam stam stam stam.

Also, for threat I would replace your weapon enchant with Accuracy (25 hit 25 crit). Mongoose is pretty good for threat as well, and gives you a nice chunk of dodge and armor to boot. Blood Draining and Blade Ward do nothing for threat at all.

The link in my signature might be helpful.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Well, when I say fail I lose aggro, I die.... maybe I'm just being hard on myself for not making it through ToC10 on my first or second try. Or getting told I suck at tanking(that's the nice way of saying it) on my first try of ONY10. I am currently watching the videos of the run through and they are helping me learn the fights.

Thanks for the advice, Griff.

Right HS and Cleave. It's funny that I didn't mention those in my rotation because I have them macroed. HS with Devastate and Cleave with shockwave. I didn't even think about it. =P

Thanks, Harmacy

Aggathon I am going to read the tank guide. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by WackinTheTroll; 06-10-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Or getting told I suck at tanking(that's the nice way of saying it) on my first try of ONY10.
    Tanks, followed by healers are the first people to get blamed by folks when something goes wrong. Sometimes these people are right, sometimes, they are just clueless. If you want to tank, you'll need to develop a thick skin to crappy comments. Look at what went wrong and if it was your fault, figure a way to fix the situation to prevent it from happening the next time. If not, don't take it to heart. Its just a game after all.

A lot of good tanking is experience. Once you get your hands dirty, you'll start to find nuances that will help you to improve your play. Just keep working at it and don't take any guff from those swine.

+ Reply to Thread