+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Losing Aggro to quickly on easy Heroics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    Losing Aggro to quickly on easy Heroics

    this is my first time post so I hope it doesn't get taken down and I asked Properly. So basically the problem is that my Prot Warrior tank is having trouble keeping aggro and I'm not sure why that would be because the groups i've been with haven't had the Best dps. I'm thinking My Gear is a bit low and that that would be contributing to the aggro loss.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...lyon&cn=Rammen

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    We need more info. What kind of DPS are they doing, and more important, when you pull a mob, what abilities are you using in hat order (I hate to say rotation, given that warriors don't use a set rotation, but yeah)

    Generally speaking Aggro problems fall under 2 categories:
    -Losing aggro right off the bat (called Snap Aggro). Many times this is fixed by kicking the DPS in the 'nards for being too hasty (or letting them die). But you have your responsibilities in this too, especially when it comes to AoE.
    -Losing Aggro after a long period of time. This is less common, but it happens.

    In both cases, assuming gearing differences are not huge, it is mostly fixable by changing what abilities you use and in which order.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    637
    This is the right forum for advice and you didn't use any naughty words, so I'm sure it won't get taken down.

    Your gear itself is more than sufficient for holding aggro in heroics. Get a weapon enchant though, and lose the hit trinket for something else (you're over the hitcap anyways).

    You don't really mention your rotation. For AoE tanking, TClap when you charge in, take a step back (to get every mob in the frontal cone) for Shockwave, then tab around with Cleave and Rev -> SS -> Dev. Remember than while SS wins for single-target threat, Revenge hits two targets and thus takes priority.

    As far as spec/glyph setup, you're missing a crucial threat talent in Incite. This talent is a large part of why Deep Wounds is so effective for threat. Grab that at the expense of 3 points in Shield Spec, and watch your AoE threat skyrocket as TClap and Cleave crit 15% more often.

    Also, I doubt the Shockwave glyph does much for you, especially on easy heroics where the trash rarely lasts longer than 10-15 seconds. I would suggest Vigilance for threat, another 5% threat redirection would help a bit to stave off those DPS-meter bandits.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    As far as spec/glyph setup, you're missing a crucial threat talent in Incite. This talent is a large part of why Deep Wounds is so effective for threat. Grab that at the expense of 3 points in Shield Spec, and watch your AoE threat skyrocket as TClap and Cleave crit 15% more often.

    Also, I doubt the Shockwave glyph does much for you, especially on easy heroics where the trash rarely lasts longer than 10-15 seconds. I would suggest Vigilance for threat, another 5% threat redirection would help a bit to stave off those DPS-meter bandits.
    Let us wait for him to respond. For spec, he might run into rage starvation issues if he is only doing heroics, better off taking points from gag order instead. Personally, I wouln't change things yet, I suspect his problems are with snap aggro, which Incite will not help him with.

    Revenge glyph is abysmal. The current glyphs are better, but I would also replace the shockwave glyph with the blocking one.30% SBV is a good threat boost to shield slam as well as damage shield.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    You don't really mention your rotation. For AoE tanking, TClap when you charge in, take a step back (to get every mob in the frontal cone) for Shockwave, then tab around with Cleave and Rev -> SS -> Dev. Remember than while SS wins for single-target threat, Revenge hits two targets and thus takes priority.
    ...
    Also, I doubt the Shockwave glyph does much for you, especially on easy heroics where the trash rarely lasts longer than 10-15 seconds. I would suggest Vigilance for threat, another 5% threat redirection would help a bit to stave off those DPS-meter bandits.
    this i follow, especially good for melee type and 1 caster, my usual is to charge the caster and devastate, step back pull his guards into a cone then shockwave them, after this, my dk and rogue friends charge in to finish the caster first and then his guards.

    could you guys also give advice on how to charge in a group of casters, like those FoS mobs, am sure the OP and others tanks would be interested in how to easily deal with this kind of situation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Ah My Rotation, Is ussally Tclap, Shockwave, cleave,SS, rev if nesscasary, Tclap to start it over. I'm not sure of the dps of the Party since I've been doing a lot of randoms since starting to play again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by SeptimX View Post
    could you guys also give advice on how to charge in a group of casters, like those FoS mobs, am sure the OP and others tanks would be interested in how to easily deal with this kind of situation.
    Well, when I used to warrior tank, you can silence one with shield bash, move into the middle of the caster pack and then silence another one that is far away with heroic throw. If you pick the right two targets to silence, you usually wind up with them all close enough to keep threat on them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6
    In the groups of 3 casters what I usually do is charge one and shield bash it then run and stand on top of another caster. The 3rd caster I Heroic Throw silence. Usually this gets them all in one place for t-clap and shockwave and makes them easier to AoE down.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts