+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coodown Usage for Soul Reaper.

Coodown Usage for Soul Reaper.

So Ive come up with a CD rotation to take handling Soul Reapers into my own hands. My question is how could I make it better?

0 sec (1st Soul Reaper): Shield Wall + Corroded Skeleton Key
    30 sec (2nd Soul Reaper): Warrior 4PC + Shield Block
    1 min (3rd Soul Reaper): Last Stand + Enrage Regeneration
    1 min 30 sec (4th Soul Reaper): Warrior 4PC + Shield Block
    == Repeat ==

Shield wall is glyphed, so 2 min CD at 40% damage reduction combined with a 6400 absorb from the Key.

4PC is roughly 14k absorb (from 72k hp) + 100% chance to block from Shield Block.

Last Stand is glyphed, so 2 min CD + Enrage Regeneration which is on a 3 min CD so available every other turn.

Now the weak one in this rotation is the Warrior 4PC + Shield Block, it works but not as well. Sometimes I need an external like PS or GS to ride it out. I'm wondering if this is a bad combo thinking about it. Since they are the same duration 10 sec, if activated at the same time (which they are in a macro) dose the Shield Block override the 4PC absorb or vice versa?

Could there be a better combination of my available CDs I'm not seeing?
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 06-08-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Shield Wall and Last Stand are powerful enough of their own accord that you could throw in Corroded / Enraged onto Shield Block / 4 piece cooldowns. Other than that, get real friendly with your priests for external cooldowns

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Shield Wall and Last Stand are powerful enough of their own accord that you could throw in Corroded / Enraged onto Shield Block / 4 piece cooldowns. Other than that, get real friendly with your priests for external cooldowns
    Yeah my issues are Corroded Skeleton Key is on a 2 min CD, Enrage Regen on a 3 min CD. I have Satrina's Impeding Scarb also on a 3 min CD.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Generally what Edge walker said:

What my guild does is:

1. Last Stand
    2. Shield Wall + Corroded Skeleton Key
    3. 4PC + Shield Block
    4. Priest Saves The Day

However generally we use a DK tank for this as he only needs to pop CDs every other Soul Reaper

And honestly, Or atleast in my opinion, Aslong as it works stick with it. Aslong as you dont die "Your doin it right!" from my point of view
    Last edited by Synistah; 06-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Lets see here:

0 sec : Shield Wall
    30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Enrage Regeneration (3 min)
    1 min : Last Stand
    1 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Satrina's Impeding Scarb (3 min)
    2 min : Shield Wall
    2 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Corroded Skeleton Key (2 min)
    3 min : Last Stand
    3 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Enrage Regeneration (3 min)
    4 min : Shield Wall
    4 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Satrina's Impeding Scarb (3 min)
    5 min : Last Stand
    5 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Corroded Skeleton Key (2 min)
    6 min : Shield Wall ==Repeat Starts Here==
    6 min 30 sec : Warrior 4PC + Shield Block + Enrage Regeneration (3 min)

I think that would do the trick.

Sounds like a solid plan. But again personal view i would recommend taking into consideration insterting a Guardian Spirit or alike somewhere in there to alleviate some of the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Synistah View Post
    Sounds like a solid plan. But again personal view i would recommend taking into consideration insterting a Guardian Spirit or alike somewhere in there to alleviate some of the stress.
    I think if I make macros and put them on a separate bar with specific key binds in order it would work. Ill put the longest duration spell in the macro first so my Cool Down Count (timer on action bar abilities) shows it so its easy to see which one is ready.

Button 1:
    Shield Wall

Button 2:
    Last Stand

Macro 1 / Button 3: (if I mash this one all 3 should fire eventually right? Even if Enrage Regen isn't ready Bloodrage will activate it)
    /cast Enrage Regeneration
    /cast Bloodrage
    /cast Shield Block

Macro 2 / Button 4:
    /use Satrina's Impeding Scarb
    /cast Bloodrage
    /cast Shield Block

Macro 3 / Button 5:
    /use Corroded Skeleton Key
    /cast Bloodrage
    /cast Shield Block

Anyone see any flaws in my macros? Normally I only try to macro 2 together and I can't get in game to check if it would work (darn 24 hour down time). Also I'm not really concerned with fancy show tool tip ones, I have tool tips disabled in combat anyway.

As a paladin I do....
    Bubblewall - Sindy's fang - divine guardian - sindy's fan - repeat.

I'm quite sure that Sindy's fang isn't good enough in heroic modes, not sure how I'll fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I can confirm for you Sindy's Fang isnt good enough.

Again, External buffs are what will save you, No offense and not specifically to you.. I dont get why less and less tanks are accepting exterior buffs these days. My guild had to recently remove a tank because he refused to take external buffs.

An alternative we do, If you have a warrior off-tank is have them Intervene and switch targets with you until your next cooldown is ready to roll. Complicated in execution and probably not recommended.

Its not that I don't want to take externals, its that I would rather they be available for others that might need them. Say the OT still tanking a Spirit (or two) after a ledge phase, ect. I prefer to have the ball in my court to control if possible. Sure it puts more pressure on me, but if that equals kills for my guild, I'll do it.

What about Sindy's Fang plus Shadow Aura Mastery? Would you want to time the AM for the application or the explosion do you think?

Also when you say SFF isn't sufficient for Heroic is this specifically the 25H version? Anyone know how 277 SFF fares on 10H?

Resist just makes Soul Reaper hit for physical damage instead of magical damage, unless they changed the mechanics of it.

I thought the damage done by Soul Reaper could not be resisted, which would include the trinket (which I don't have yet).

Out of curiosity, are people just single tanking through Soul Reaper? i.e. no tank swap, the tank just pops CDs and pushes through?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Yes sat, at least i heroic you are more likely to die do a melee swing + initial application or reaper than the explosion. For some reason there almost always seems to be a melee swing and reaper application within 1 second and I just fall over. Since taunting would not save you your pre-cooldowns are still up for the explosion.

The first application of Soul Reaper can be resisted normally. The second (the 5 second explosion) can only be reduced via reduce all abilities (innate reductions, cooldown usage, etc).

I was wondering about this too.

Is it best to pop your CD's as soon as you get the warning soul reaper has been applied to you or wait for the 5 second bar to almost expire?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    I was wondering about this too.

Is it best to pop your CD's as soon as you get the warning soul reaper has been applied to you or wait for the 5 second bar to almost expire?
    Speaking for heroic mode, you need to pre-cooldown so you reduce the damage taken by the initial application, and since most cooldowns are at least 10 seconds it will hit both the initial hit and the explosion at the end (absorbs not included).

We've been getting wrecked by the hasted LK hits after the soul reaper. It can be pretty deadly. The soul reaper + melee is ugly too. It's a matter of picking your poison; I suspect that doing it right before the second soul reaper will give your CD more effectiveness against a longer danger zone (since between the two soul reapers isn't that scary), but I could be wrong.

Is there any benefit at all to using avoidance-enhancing cooldowns during Soul Reaper as a last resort (I'm thinking Glyph of Indom etc)? While you'll still obviously take the full blown application and explosion effect from it, it should at least increase your chances of not getting whacked in the face too much by his melee. See also: Paladin 4pc.

I never tank the Lich King himself when we're doing Heroic; I'm always on add duty so I've not got too much experience of what works and what doesn't. Obviously things like Bubble Wall, Divine Guardian, Glyphed Salv or externals are going to be preferable most of the time but is it even worth trying with those kinds of cooldowns for it? Yeah I know, it's RNG so you can't say for certain but I'm wondering whether an on-use trinket like Glyph might be the better option than something like Unidentifiable Organ. Likewise is it worth wearing 264 Tier to get the 4pc or stick with the 277 offset stuff? How well those types of cooldowns work on mitigating overall Soul Reaper damage (so the spell plus the melee stuff during it) will play into my gearing strategy when it comes to my turn to tank the big guy instead of those pesky Shamblers.

+ Reply to Thread