+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank questions: Farming older content.

Tank questions: Farming older content.

I have collected a pretty decent tanking set (mostly 232 gear, no trinkets yet) but until I get my new iMac, I'm only planning on tanking older instances to farm mounts; specifically ZG, hMGT, Anzu (with a drood friend) and maybe AQ here and there if I feel up to it.

My question is this: what spec would you recommend for something like that? What glyphs would be best?

Also, I havent tanked since the early 60s so a quick idea of rotation would be very helpful.

It might be helpful if you could tell us what class you are (or intend on farming these things on), a quick look through your profile reveals no such information.

Given that this is not ICC, and thus avoidance hasn't been nerfed on the outside world, stack Block, Parry, and Dodge. Even before ICC and possibly even before ToC, it was possible to get an avoidance of over 100%. That should stand you in good stead for tanking these types of instances.

Dispel.

carpe diem, delendo solis
    seize the day, by blotting out the sun.

It really doesn't matter that much, if you can up your block value to 1500ish then no mob in a pre bc instance will do damage to you (unless its a caster). For farming the tiger, make sure you can see lorkan's target (if it is a tiger then let her heal it), otherwise interrupt/stun/silence.

sorry, forgot to clarify my class. I am a warrior.

yeah, block value, block rating are your friends. if you can block most attacks you will be fine.

Indeed. Just as long as you identify and target the casters in trash packs, or indeed some bosses, you should have no troubles.

Dispel.

carpe diem, delendo solis
    seize the day, by blotting out the sun.

I use a BT-Prot spec for farming/soloing older content. It's more for bosses than anything else, some bosses need a little bloodthirst healing to keep you going, regular spec will get me through most trash easily.
    Thought about using a fury-spec, just to see how effective that would be. Although without the gear to complement it atm, I don't think it would go well.
    Last edited by Jjvalour; 06-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispel View Post
    Even before ICC and possibly even before ToC, it was possible to get an avoidance of over 100%.
    I know this is going to sound really pedantic and picky but Block does not count as avoidance, it counts as mitigation. Avoidance is made up of Miss Chance, Dodge and Parry as each of those will result in 0 damage being taken whereas Block will result in reduced damage being taken but damage being taken all the same.

I'm not picking on you or anything and kudos for your otherwise good advice to the OP but I see a lot of posts here from new tanks who are very confused about Block and how it works (sometimes they even shout at each other, it's very messy :P) so I just like to clarify when I see it. Sorry to interrupt, as you were

glyph will depend, battle/commanding shout, charge, bloodrage, shield something and last stand come very recommended...

get defense cap 540 or little bit more, fill up with dodge & stam gems, or +30 stam gems

emblem buy your 232s T9 set, even 4pc is enough, then buy the ring and trinket, if you've no luck on dropped/chest items.

For lower-level stuff, especially old Heroics or 60 raids where stuff doesn't hit that hard Essence of Gossamer is massively OP. Its absorbtion effect does little for us as endgame tanks but for soloing or boosting a friend through something it's pretty phenominal.

Corroded skeleton key as well, if you decide to grab that. Although I'm not sure which would be superior. Corroded skeleton key would stop all damage dead for a short time, but a heroic or even vanilla raid boss can still break through that without much trouble...
    That and it has a 2-minute cooldown. A solo fight against most of those bosses will last awhile, but still, I doubt you would be able to use it more than once or twice. Whereas Essence of Gossamer goes off on every attack.
    I just just sold mine too...

Thank you for all of the excellent advice. I will have to start adding hAN to my list of daily heroics.

+ Reply to Thread