+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to completely overhaul my keybindings...

How to completely overhaul my keybindings...

See, today my mouse broke. Now you might be wonder, why does that mean she has to completely overhaul her keybindings? Well it was my laptop touchpad mouse that broke, so I have to use a traditional mouse now.

Back with my touchpad, I used my right hand entirely for mouse control, strafing, and defensive cooldowns. Comma and Period were used for strafe. And B, N, M, K, L, and Forward Slash were my defensive cooldowns, based on the keys which were easiest to reach. Now my touchpad was really close to the keyboard, so I could use my thumb and index finger for mouse control, and my other three fingers could simultaneously use my defensive cooldowns and strafing. It was a pretty awesome setup.

As for my other abilities? I had my rotation and stuff keybound to the F1-F5, 1-5, and Q-T block, which was all managed with my left hand. It's a nice little 3x5 section of keys on a laptop, since the Function keys are immediately adjacent to the number keys.

Now of course, that doesn't work... AT ALL, because I now have an external mouse, which means my right hand has to be completely dedicated to mouse control, and can no longer handle strafing and defensive cooldowns at the same time (unless I buy like, a 10 button mouse or something).

How the heck do I fix this so I can tank with a traditional mouse?
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

spend a couple of extra bucks and get a belkin n52te for your left hand?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering it. Touch expensive though.

Though I think my old keybinding setup would transfer to it with minimal need to adapt...

My temporary solution that I've come up with is moving two of my skills, and putting on W and E, and using double-mouse-click for running forward. Not ideal, but at least I have movement control again.

EDIT: Actually on second thought, my left hand thumb isn't doing much. I wonder if I can't put strafing and stuff under my thumb... C, V, and B might work...
    Last edited by Karilyn; 06-06-2010 at 07:00 AM.
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

What is keybinding? Is it the same a macroing? Cause' I only macro Dev+HS and Dev+HS... I do keep HS on a seperate slot of course when another tank needs to taunt off me and i don't take aggro off him.

Well, I must first applaud you for being able to use the mouse pad effectively in game I tried and failed at that!

Anyway, I use TFGH as the movement keys, which gives greater reach over the keyboard with just one hand. It does take some time to get used to though, but I have all my key skills around that, as there are plenty to use.
    Your pain was my pleasure, your sorrow my joy!

I set E, S, F to forward, left strafe, right strafe respectively. That moves your hand just left of the standard WASD set up and gives you freedom to hit everything on the left hand side of the keyboard. So Q,W,R,T,A,D,G,Z,X,C,1,2,3,4,5 and then the shift variation of all of those, and the control variations of all of those.

F1, F2, F3 are for stances, and 6-0 are for things used here and there like Shouts. Tilda (~) is used for mounts and caps lock is my vent queue (only problem with that is sometimes you hit caps lock instead of tab and queue your mic for everyone to hear your button mashing.

I can map it all out for you if you like.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

+ Reply to Thread