+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judge this Prot Warrior Build for PvP?

Judge this Prot Warrior Build for PvP?

So after messing around with stuff enough in WoW, following builds, guides, etc I thought I'd try to strike out on my own. I mixed and matched skills I thought I'd find useful in PvP.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Maverickroll

A few things to keep in mind;

- Yes I know they nerfed Prot down some. Warbringer isnt as awesome as it used to be I know, but it still has its uses as I get the two extra dashing abilities.

- While Revenge got hit with the nerf bat, shield slam and devestate still tend to rock. I need to easily combine other skills against platewearers but squishies tend to down easy for those too.

- I only PvP, I'm not a PvE'er. I don't have the time nor the guild to do 10 or 25 man's. Maybe a random 10 man pug once in a blue moon but working full time I just dont have the ability to dedicate to getting top end gear.

So, hows the skills look? I know my glyps could use a little work, I'm contemplating changing Block to say, Rapid Charge maybe. The rest of my skills are meant for survival and damage. As for gear, that is a work in progress. I'm still working on getting +Res and +Arp gems, I wanna shoot for 800+ Res and as much Arp as I can stack. I won't be chucking out a ton of damage with a 1Hander but it can't hurt. I'm mainly gearing myself with the best pvp gear honor points can buy with a mixture of pve gear for arp.

I'd love to do Arenas, for better gear and team vs team pvp but my server is pretty much dead for arena I think, I transfered to Chogall cause I love fighting as the underdogs and more world pvp in addition to battlegrounds is always nice.

I know the situations will mean different things. A build that works well in Arena may suck in BG's and vice versa.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Lhbf0b...ibIzsGo:dNcMz0

Is a great one for BG's

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LhdZGx...ibIzsGo:dNcMz0

if you would like to keep blood craze

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Lhrh0b...ibIksho:dNcMz0

is a tentative setup for Arena's

The whole point for Prot PvP is constant pressure just like in tanking where there shuold be no empty GCD it is the same for prot pvp. I am not sure where you are saying revenge got nerfed it does more damage now than ever. Ane with enough ArP and crit you can see devestate chipping down 4-5k crit and shockwave rolling in the 7's and revenge critting in the 10's. Prot PvP is not a gimp setup it is actually one of the toughest classes for people to beat. With the most armor out there someone low on thier ArP isnt doing any damage you need to really worry about. Casters have to worry about Spell reflect being up all the time ( and in arenas the improved version makes it so even your friends throw spells back) Blood craze is awesome while you are doing BG's to farm gear it is like a mini healer with you and the more resileince you have the better it gets (it proc's off crits that shuold have been crits but werent from resielence). Also when you get 4 peices of Gladiator's you will find the level of kiting people can do to you is little to NONE. remember with 2 peices you get 100 free resilenece so grab gloves sooner rather than later. Start spamming trade one night a week for random 2v2's 3v3's and 5v5 teams takes about an hour and the arena points will pile up for relentless gear. I pvp as Arms right now cause my 3v3 team is in need of MS but i do prot whenever i farm BG's for honor. With a slow one hander it is all about low rage costs with high mobilitiy, and if you are keeping blood craze pick up peircing howl so you can slow guys down (that AoE slow is SICK in Bg's when entire teams are crawling). Any questions PM me or post them i will help as best i can i am by no means a pro pvper but i have tons of fun doing it and colaboration never hurt right?

Impale w/o deep wounds for the arena spec ... really?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Deep wounds is weapon damage a slow one hander just isn't worth 3 talent points for a 100 tick bleed. at most whn i was trying it i saw about 300 damage ticks after lots of crit's I just pop rend on rogues but otherwise i just keep the pressure on.

I dont really see the reason you would skip points in SS and put them in dodge...most attacks in PVP will come from behind which you have NO chance of dodging. Also I see the specs listed skip imp Dis Arm....WHY?...increased dmg during focusing down a target is always helpful. I often disarm casters while locking them down just for the increase in dmg.. I also notice another skip on Vigilance....yet you took imp interviene? why only reduce the damage on your healer for a brief time of 15% when you can reduce all damage by 3%...in the end youre saving more damage with the constant. and then you skip damage shield?...that one kind of speaks for itself

Prot PvP has lots of utility man cleave teams run around with this sort of thing all the time however prot pvp has lots of choices but the general consensus among Most arena guys i have talked to is that prot is all about Constant pressure with low rage costs and lots of crits. Now damage shield is fairly nice, improve disarm is one you can take but don't have to. prot is cool cause no one build is the best but you have to value your talent points wisely cause to get all the toys you gotta spend em.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#Lhrh0bZhxZrIzrTfzrdIzsGo is my new one for PvP right now cause you are right imp disarm is pretty sick like you mentioned but i have to pick up imp spell reflect cause it owns face.

imp disarm is one of the things that makes prot op in arenas...i don't see why you wouldn't take it. it's mandatory for any pvp prot build, just like aoe spell reflect. being able to reflect bursts/polys/cyclones off your teammates is retardedly good. i honestly don't see what else is worth those 4 talents points elsewhere that beats that utility.

this is the build i use for prot pvp: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521332113311
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...ing+Guild+Name

heres the spec i currently use for PVP, I use the overpower build just for those extra attacks that proc constantly

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessdog View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...ing+Guild+Name

heres the spec i currently use for PVP, I use the overpower build just for those extra attacks that proc constantly
    I'd take points out of anger managment and off one of the 2nd line of talents [Either Iron will, Tactical mastery or even Imp. Charge] and put those 2 into 50% more crit to overpower, if that's what you use. Don't know how well it works, but if you use it, why not buff it with an almost certain crit?

...Woah, a prot spec with tbt, thats actually a really good idea, would help out with the rage starve and helps my NES procs. Does anyone spec into safe guard? I've been playing around with it and its really hard to use on-demand to save your partner, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kasanagi View Post
    ...Woah, a prot spec with tbt, thats actually a really good idea, would help out with the rage starve and helps my NES procs. Does anyone spec into safe guard? I've been playing around with it and its really hard to use on-demand to save your partner, any thoughts?

Like i replied in an earlier post i think safeguard is a waste, but its just my opinion. In Pve if the healer somehow got aggro something has seriously gone wrong...in PVP i prefer vigilance instead..3% the whole match outweighs 30% for a few sec. Plus you should be peeling off you teammate with a stun or cc anyway. The imp SP really helps too

Im also going to try out the imp Crit to OP, Ill let you know how it goes

safeguard is awesome for pvp...it really lowers the burst on one of your teammates when you need it. the hardest thing about it is getting in the habit of using it regularly. also, switching your vigilance to the current teammate the other players are trying to burst negates alot of dmg as well. it's pretty easy for me to swap my vigi around while im locking something down, just needs a little practice.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Ok, I've just had a play around with imp overpower...on a raid boss target dummy, with 5k ap, 60%~ arm pen, overpower crits for 2.5k ish, while devastate crits for 6k....that was like the Rick Roll'd of prot pvp spec. Keeping those points for 5% crit and armour - AP conversion is still better.

The main problem I have with safeguard is that, with oceanic server latency, stance switch > Intervene takes 4 -5 secs to pull off.

urm...

you realize with warbringer... you can intervene in any stance, just like you can charge and/or intercept. so it's simply a 1 button 1.5 gcd incurring press.

Also, yes overpower with a 1 hander is paltry damage... there's simply no reason to go for it as prot pvp, and likewise the 3 points in taste for blood are wasted for it.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVMh0fZhZfIzrMfzidIdsGo

the first 2 tiers of both the prot and arms trees are debatable, the net difference between imp rend, imp HS (you shouldn't hs much as prot, it's a marginal dps increase, and costs you a lot of rage when generating rage as prot can be a problem if not targetted). The only must haves are imp charge for extra rage, and incite in prot. the rest of the talents are basically what you'll want, vigilance is also optional. the way I have it set up this way is because i run 2pct10 dps gear so having deep wounds increases my ability to burst someone down as well as put out more overall damage on a person, while it can be frustrating when doing CC rotations, several cc's don't care for the damage from a bleed anyways (cyclone, roots, fear, etc). you're better off just utilizing damage.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

ive practiced with using 2pc tanking t10 and the burst is awesome compared to using the dps 2pc. although i can get away with gemming my t10 tanking gloves and legs with arp unlike most of you since i no longer pve tank. the bonus is always there unlike the dps bonus where it is a chance to proc. i've actually solo'd priests and other clothies with it in 5s just running my lockdown chain on them while the other 2 dps are trying to burn down their main target.

i also don't see vigi as an optional talent, i think combined with safeguard you can really hamper the other team's burst.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

yeah... if i could make a second set to make 2pc t10 tanking i'd probably prefer that since you still gain all of the str, you just lack arp/crit in the prot pieces, but the set bonus was amazing even when i just used them with stam in them. Unfortunately Lassy/Ainos need me as Arms now running double healer/Arms. we're awful =P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

you need a disc priest and a h pally to make dbl healer op imo. cyclines can't put out the pressure mana burns/dispells/quick offensice power that a disc priest brings.

btw you should try enhance shaman/bm hunter/prot warr/h pally/resto druid 5s....i call it the african beast cleave and it's stupid easy.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    i call it the african beast cleave and it's stupid easy.
    Taking that

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessdog View Post
    I dont really see the reason you would skip points in SS and put them in dodge...most attacks in PVP will come from behind which you have NO chance of dodging. Also I see the specs listed skip imp Dis Arm....WHY?...increased dmg during focusing down a target is always helpful. I often disarm casters while locking them down just for the increase in dmg.. I also notice another skip on Vigilance....yet you took imp interviene? why only reduce the damage on your healer for a brief time of 15% when you can reduce all damage by 3%...in the end youre saving more damage with the constant. and then you skip damage shield?...that one kind of speaks for itself
    Maybe you're looking at my pve tank spec on the armory? My pvp spec has SS maxed, Imp Disarm maxed, I don't use Vigilance in this build yet since I just run BG's at the moment..

+ Reply to Thread