+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help a GM with some troubles

Help a GM with some troubles

So a good friend is putting out some incredibly low numbers in ICC and i don't know why.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...thwing&cn=Inna

There is the Armory

I Don't know what the Rotation is but, i know she hasn't read any literature and is going off "gut" on the DPS so if someone could help me find one for her that would be great. The Spec is fine from what i know but, take a look at that to. I tank so anything from heroics that you could point out would be great.

World of Logs parses? If it's a rotation problem that would be the way to find them

They're using glyph of PW:S on their shadow spec. They have some mp5 gear, but sometimes you just take what you can get.

I can't figure out how to give WoL stuff cant seem ti find it.

Ahhh i have just recently started looking into WoL didn't know i needed to run a client and record the fights i will do so next time. So PW:S bad idea, replace with http://www.wowhead.com/item=42407 i am guessing.
    Last edited by Tinytankz; 06-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.

It looks like no one in your guild is uploading to WoL--it's super useful info to have on hand. Stuff like buff uptime, number of casts of a spell, how hard it hits/crits, what you're taking damage from, "survivability" (who always dies first?), "deaths overview" (what did they die from?) etc. You just have to log your raids, using either /combatlog or an addon like loggerhead, and then upload the logs and let WoL parse it out for you. It's got lots of shiny graphs! And is WAY better than recount for determining who is slacking

WAAAAAAAAY too much hit rating. She has over double the hit rating required to reach the hit cap. 11% is all a Shadow Priest needs for raiding (and only 1% for 5mans).

As far as a rotation goes, she needs to be keeping up SW:P, DP, and VT as much as possible without clipping the DoTs (ie. don't refresh until the DoT runs its full duration and disappears). If all three are up, you MB. If MB is on cooldown, you MF.

If she gets the T10 4pc, I think that makes MF better than MB (and also makes haste rating much more attractive).

Check out shadowpriest.com for tweaking the small details.
    Last edited by NewfieDave; 06-05-2010 at 02:18 PM.

I have been able to read the logs but didn't know how to put mine up there i will assign an officer to get on it I am Already working with 6 DPS to step up their game i have a Rogue And a Hunter Doing 45% of our damage right now.

Thanks Newfie i wasnt aware she was that over hit looks like we are trinket farming then damnit i hate PoS i run it every day cause it has so many upgrades for my guildies that wont drop fml.
    Last edited by Tinytankz; 06-05-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Definitely needs to replace the hit gems, probably haste or something. Doubt that spirit gem is necessary either. I don't play casters so I can only go off memory/friends. SP/Haste for gems. She could stand to get rid of those trinkets too. I mean, they are both decent but she's really only getting half the benefit of the Shard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Definitely needs to replace the hit gems, probably haste or something. Doubt that spirit gem is necessary either. I don't play casters so I can only go off memory/friends. SP/Haste for gems. She could stand to get rid of those trinkets too. I mean, they are both decent but she's really only getting half the benefit of the Shard.
    Red socket: Runed

Yellow socket: Reckless (SP/Haste)

Blue socket: Purified (SP/Spirit)

Unless a socket bonus is something poor like +4 spirit, a Shadow Priest should always gem to them. We get 50% of our spirit back as spellpower (20% from talents, 30% from a glyph) plus it scales with Imp Spirit Tap and raid buffs (Kings), and helps a bit with mana efficiency (which can be an issue at times, mainly at lower gear levels or if several raid buffs are missing).

Spec is way off. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbhZZGxfVRfzcfqfzAo:qh is the cookie cutter spec that you should base off of. She is missing Meditation (crucial talent for mana, without it you will find yourself OOM all too often) and Imp PW:F, which is a huge buff (lots of stam), in favor of PvP talents.

There are some other talents (like Imp Vampiric Embrace or Inner Focus) that are very nice, if you can make room with free points. The third glyph should be SW:P or Dispersion - SW:P helps with mana while Dispersion gives you a reduced cooldown on your defensive cooldown, probably go with SW:P unless you're in serious raiding.

Gear is also pretty messy. First off, that Triumph intellect trinket is completely useless. And at her level of hit rating, so is the other one. http://www.wowhead.com/item=47213 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=50259 are both easy to farm, and far far superior. Abyssal Rune in particular is still a damn good trinket well into ICC.

Wrong meta, get Chaotic Skyflare for more crit damage (SPriests crit a ton, so the extra 3% adds up to quite a bit of DPS).

Replace the MP5 ring with the Triumph haste/spirit one. Haste is far far superior to crit, and spirit is actually pretty close to crit (still inferior but not by a ton). MP5 of course does nothing for a Shadow Priesty.

Lightweave is superior for DPS, although if Disc is her mainspec then maybe Darkglow would be a good choice. Depends on the situation.

Spell penetration is a PvP stat only, and there's no reason for a Shadow Priest to gem crit over spellpower or haste.

And definitely work on lowering that hit rating. As mentioned, the hit cap for a Shadow Priest is a mere 11% (3% from the Shadow Focus talent, another 3% from the Misery debuff we put on the target).

And replace the leg enchant with +50 SP +20 spirit. 20 spirit = 10 (or 11 depending on buffs) spellpower and a bit of mana, much more crucial than a little stamina.

The rotation is a bugger. The opening rotation is VT + DP, then 3 ticks of Mind Flay (to get your Shadow Weaving stacks up before you cast SW:P).

After that, keep your DoTs as close to a 100% uptime without clipping the last tick, this means casting them as soon as possible after they tick and fall off, but not before. Then keep Mind Blast on cooldown. Mind Flay anywhere else in between - it's also important that you not spam the Mind Flay button, which is a huge DPS loss. Make sure it gets the third tick off before you recast - this is where an addon like Quartz really comes in handy.

For multi-target, tab around with VT and SW:P. I generally only use Mind Sear if there are four or more adds near one another, and even then if they aren't going to die quickly I throw around a few DoTs beforehand.

If she gets the T10 4pc, I think that makes MF better than MB (and also makes haste rating much more attractive).
    The T10 bonuses are insanely good for Shadow. Get them ASAP. Yes if you get the 4-piece and have appropriate amounts of Spellpower and Haste, you can drop Mind Blast from your rotation.
    Last edited by Harmacy; 06-05-2010 at 10:43 PM.

The number one thing you should tell you friend is to relax. I've found that my biggest problem on all my toons was worrying about "all the buttons I needed to hit" and I was moving so quickly I was doing more harm than help. Especially when you consider the HUGE issue of dot clipping, patience and calm are very, very important.

I find that using a mod that allows you to make your dot timers nice and visible helps alot. Learning the cast times and working those into the dot timers takes some practice but makes things alot easier and definitely boosts dps.
    Also... haste, haste, haste. haste does ridiculous things for spriest. My spriest is in t9ish and everytime I get more haste I notice a dps increase. Gear/spec will typically provide all the hit and crit that a spriest should need, imo, so the focus is on SP and haste.

Also, the replenishment from MB after VT is nice, I don't know if I would ever pass it up, but I'm not a min/maxxer

+ Reply to Thread