+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breaking a bad habit

Thanks for the motivation and respect, both of you. My son thinks I'm nuts for dropping the gold, but I don't really do anything halfway.

I know this is off topic but....all of my experience has come from puggin 5 man heroics. How can I upgrade my necklace without losing my Meta bonus? I don't really have access to raids so I feel kind of stuck. I have read many of the gear guides, and I'm kind of wondering what to go for next.

Keep in mind I'm new to the game and most of my experince was solo till 80. All of the acranyms drive me nuts as an old guy who doesn't live and die on wow.......ya know 4 kids, wife, house, job, dog,......keep my wow time limited.

You dont want to gem pure dodge to get your meta, you want to use a hybrid purple.

Look through your other gear and look for a blue or red socket to put a purple gem in. Purple gems like Expertise/Stam Agi/Stam or Dodge/Stam are probably the best.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Drizzt74, here are some really good gearing guides:
    Polar's Easy Pre-Naxx Tank Gear List
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ur-Tank-in-LFD <- this one is probably the most relevant for you
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...nse-Gear-Guide <- probably not as crucial for you at this point, but still a great guide.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Thanks again.

Some good advice in this thread. One thing I'd like to add is that the key to keybinding (lol, how punny) is making the setup feel comfortable for YOU. No two people have the same hands, and it's crucial that none of your keybinds make you overstretch.

A good start to finding what keybinds work best for you is to place your hand on your movement keys, then see which of the surrounding keys feel most comfortable to reach. Personally, I use W for move forward, S for move backward, and Q/E for strafing. My fingers usually rest on the QWE keys, making 123 reachable with very minor movement. ~ and 4 are only slightly less accessable. I removed the default turning keybinds from A and D, and use those for abilities (Spell Reflect and Shield Bash on my Prot Warrior).

Once you get comfortable with moving and using these keybinds simultaneously, start adding modifiers. Some people really like shift for this, but I personally prefer to use alt for my primary modifier. It feels more natural for me to slide my thumb over to alt (it naturally rests on the spacebar). When I used a lot of shift modifiers I was getting pain in my left hand from straining my pinky finger, so I only use it for my less used keybinds these days. Ctrl is my push-to-talk key for vent, so I don't use it as a modifier. I know people who use Caps Lock for push-to-talk to avoid keybinding issues, but I've found that gets annoying when I'm typing to chat.

I switch at least 6 key binding in the last 2 years, if not more. Which means I have to re-learn my muscle memory anew each time. This is kind of similar to your status where you need to learn how to do it.

The best way for me to do it, is to go to some level 80 area and start grinding the mobs in a furious killing spree. I start with just one mob, and use only my key bindings. I use them slowly at this stage, but the mob does not (by itself) pose any danger to me. After a bit I move to more mobs. Soon I have tons of mobs on me, and I need to start some more complicate rotation - maybe thunderclap to do some aoe damage and reduce the damage on me, some CD like last stand + regeneration to return HP and so on.

The idea here is to challenge yourself slowly with more and more mobs. Learning how to use the key binding in Heroics can be a bit hard on your mates as they will die. And the dummy is boring and not challenging.

Grinding mobs is best. You start with low numbers and just try to use the key bindings. As you get more comfortable, you take more mobs, which both needs more key bindings and challenge you more to use the key bindings faster with more muscle memory. After killing a few hundred mobs you will have the keys burned into your hand muscles and a bit more money.

PP

[QUOTE=NewfieDave;421668]Some good advice in this thread. One thing I'd like to add is that the key to keybinding (lol, how punny) is making the setup feel comfortable for YOU. No two people have the same hands, and it's crucial that none of your keybinds make you overstretch.

I'm 6'4" with hands appropriate for my height so I can cover a fair amout of the keyboard.

Puffy, I really like that idea I will try that. Because at least I can farm while I am at it. I farm 80 areas for leather anyway so it will be part of my routine anyway.

Good stuff thanks

Here's how you break the clicker habit:

Keybind everything so that it makes sense to you (PVP forum has a guide for that I think).
    Get the addon kgPanels.
    Put a transparent panel over your action bars that is not click through.

Boom - You can't click anymore, you are forced to press the keys. Sure at first you will look at your bars and maybe even at your keyboard but you will get used to it very fast and you will notice how much faster you are.

+ Reply to Thread