+ Reply to Thread

Thread: prot pally dmg reduction/rotation

prot pally dmg reduction/rotation

ok I have been told by a couple healers that i am really difficult to heal. One told me last night and i finally got the necklace from HHoR and then he said i was a million times easier to heal. That healer was a shaman.

The other healer that tells me I am hard to heal is a pally healer. I run ICC with him and we do just fine but he says that i just get hit like a truck.

Now one of my question is as a pally should I always be keeping the sacred shield on myself. It is sometimes at a bad moment for mana and normally the pally casts it on me so I dont even thing about it cause he will just negate mine with his. Should i make sacred shield in my rotation every minute.

Also the healer that said I was a lot easier to heal I think it is cause i gained 35 parry rating on that necklace and only 6 stamina was not a huge upgrade but better. I think i might just be difficult to heal because I just stack stam gem and currently rockin 2 sta trinks. for 5 mans should i equip my armor trinkets i never really though about that.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Massacrejons
    Last edited by massacrejons; 06-02-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Armor makes you easier to heal, yes. There is no armory link so I can't check your values. For ICC, you want to be about 30k armor and up. Stacking stamina is NOT the problem.

Crit Immune->EH

EH is a combination of your armor and hp. The ballpark is 11 armor~1 stamina. Go for the gear that gives you the highest number adding them up that way.

EDIT:

Armor does not affect magic damage. Magic damage heavy fights favor pure stam.

Using the Glyph, Key or Black Heart instead of the Tongue might help.

I would recommend getting the crafted boots from the ICC recipe, in general it will be a long time before a tank can see boots drop in ICC.

Thing is with using Avoidance trinkets, is that the RNG comes into effect, and you can be fine one moment, then WHAM! you get nailed Hard. With using Armor/Stamina trinkets the incoming damage should be consistent, so the healer isn't having to "suddenly" throw more heals at you.

nice i have the black heart and eltriggs oath so i have armor trinkets to swap out so on fights where i need more armor or sta i can switch but i was just wondering if the sta stack is only really effective for icc. i mean i run toc and everything else and tank just fine but i was just wondering if the avoidance is good for everything besides icc cause i would have no problems carrying another set of armor with me.

nice i have the black heart and eltriggs oath so i have armor trinkets to swap out so on fights where i need more armor or sta i can switch but i was just wondering if the sta stack is only really effective for icc. i mean i run toc and everything else and tank just fine but i was just wondering if the avoidance is good for everything besides icc cause i would have no problems carrying another set of armor with me.
    If you outgear content you can gear for whatever you want. ie. in ToC10 (if I run it)... I swap in avoidance pieces. Simply because my armor and health are so high that I can swap in avoidance and see an improvement. The bosses just don't hit that hard anymore in that raid because I outgear it massively.

In ICC... everything hits hard enough that you will wonder where your face went. (FYI: it's by your shoe on the other side of the room.)
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

As a pally in ICC, parry is the best avoidance stat to stack. Stam will always be good and Armor will almost always be better. The tier chest/gloves or badge chest/gloves are very nice because they have "green" armor on them. Same with the badge belt.

Something else you can do to help mitigate damage is to rotate your cooldowns in and out during a fight if you don't have to save them for a specific time (i.e. don't do this on Festergut!). For an extra cooldown, replace your HoR glyph with the Hand of Salv one - 20% less damage when used on yourself. You need a decent threat lead to be able to do that, but in most fights I don't find that a problem.

man that is a good idea i never even thought about doin that. yeh i can rotate cds all day fester is only boss i have encountered where i need to pop a cd to stay alive. i will try out the salv

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    If you outgear content you can gear for whatever you want. ie. in ToC10 (if I run it)... I swap in avoidance pieces. Simply because my armor and health are so high that I can swap in avoidance and see an improvement. The bosses just don't hit that hard anymore in that raid because I outgear it massively.

In ICC... everything hits hard enough that you will wonder where your face went. (FYI: it's by your shoe on the other side of the room.)
    Only problem with switching out pieces, is you do have to be careful...
    I did ToC25, and did it in my DPS DW Frost Spec, with my dps weapons... bit of a mistake, just doing autoattack I was generating too much threat, that it make the tank switching on Gormok a bit of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by amalada View Post
    As a pally in ICC, parry is the best avoidance stat to stack.
    Chill of the Throne has absolutely no impact whatsoever on the relative values of Dodge and Parry. It's no better to stack Parry in ICC than it was back in TotC because Chill of the Throne is calculated after diminishing returns. When (char_sheet_dodge_% / char_sheet_parry_%) > 1.88 then it'll be more avoidance per point of Parry than of Dodge, not before.

As to the original question in the OP, Sacred Shield is pretty much an "if you get a chance" kinda thing and it's often not worth breaking your 969 to refresh it, especially if mana is a concern for you. It can help sure but it's rare to find a tank who'd consider it essential to keep up every time it falls off - especially if you're running with a Holy Paladin whose Sacred Shield will be better than yours anyway. If you're not familiar with the "969" rotation then search these forums and find out a little more about it - in basic terms it's our highest threat per second that allows for 100% uptime of Holy Shield. While they may not feel huge against bosses hitting for 25k+, those blocks add up and are a big factor in how "easy" you are to heal.

I see only minor mistakes in your armory. I would certainly replace the Corpse Tongue Coin with either an armor or a stam trinket (ideally, armor for most bosses in ICC then stam for the few that armor isn't great for, like Sindragosa or off-tanking Blood Queen). Also, get rid of that Strength gem in your belt. If you need it to activate your meta, use a purple Agility/Stam gem. Agility gives you 80% as much dodge as Dodge Rating (for a Paladin that is), as well as a fair amount of armor, making it superior for damage reduction (the crit is a nice side effect).

Stacking stam does not make you squishy, in fact giving your healers more room to work with makes you easier to heal. As a healer (my main is a Disc Priest, and my Paladin often goes Holy for raids as well) I've consistently noticed that tanks who stack stam and armor are significantly easier to heal. There is one DK tank I know, nice guy but he gears for tons of avoidance, and thus is damn near impossible to heal through stuff like Festergut. Tried to explain the value of EH and why he shouldn't be using the parry runes on his weapons, but he doesn't listen.

Also, go get the Lay on Hands minor glyph. It's amazing.

+ Reply to Thread