+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death and Decay and Aggro

Death and Decay and Aggro

Ok so recently I rolled a Death Knight tank for fun... and well it was until recently. Currently I happen to be having trouble locking down aggro period... I've accepted that most melee dps will just pick a mob (see: Not my target) and just kill it with no regard to aggro.

Ultimately this post comes down to is: When is dropping death and decay preferable to spamming blood boil?
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

What level is the DK?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Always. Blood boil is not high threat. To get the most out of it, you need diseases spread. That will help with DnD threat too.

My first recommendation is Tidy Plates and the Tidy Plates:Threat Plates addons. These will allow the name plates to change color based on threat. Watch for any that turn yellow and give that one a little more "love". Likewise, watch for one dropping faster than others and make that your primary target.

Unfortunately, DPS don't know how to assist any more so tanks often assist on the dps'ers target, essentially.

First post 61:

Second post: I'll give tidy plates a try
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

If you are leveling still, if you drop DnD off the bat you shouldn't have much to worry about with threat. It is pretty commanding threat while you're in Outlands.

Think of Blood Boil as your support tool, a way to stack on a little extra multi-target threat when you need to embellish on what DnD, diseases, and single target focus are taking care of.

And to help with holding multiple targets, if you don't want to mark to ensure people target your target, you can just make sure you swap your targeting around to put auto-attacks, RS, and HS/DS hits on everything that is being attacked. Generally speaking, you can gauge who needs the most attention by whose health is dropping fastest. Threat Plates makes it even easier by adding an indicator for when things come loose.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Yeah, at 61 usually drop DnD, spread some diseases and snap them with blood boil will guarantee aggro.

DK's are quite faceroll in outlands.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Not sure what spec you are, but blood or frost seems most likely.

Blood is the preferred raid spec for most DKs. Against hard hitting bosses, this spec is probably the best although Frost is viable. As such, you may want to level with this to learn. That is not necessary, however. Understanding the mechanics of tanking is important but the actual rotation can be changed later and you'll be ok with only a slight learning curve.

Frost tends to be the preferred leveling tank/heroics build. The AoE threat is almost as easy as a paladin and the cds are great.

In dungeons, most of what you are doing will be trash packs of 3-6. For those, you will want to do something like these.

Blood:
    DnD->IT->PS->Pest Tab target Heart Strikes and runic dump with Death Coil with the next set of runes and repeat.

Frost
    DnD->Howling Blast->Blood Boil Howling Blast->Blood Boil->Blood Boil->Oblit->Frost Strike

I also macro Rune Strike to all abilities but you don't have that yet.

here is his armory, you can find spec.

Thank you for the help I've received so far

The early Death Knight tank talents are always a hard choice. Ideally, you want your base 5/5/5. To make it more complex, however, you also want your deep talents. This leads to a question that really comes down to personal choice.

There is nothing wrong with the order you have chosen to get your talents and it looks like you are building a solid tanking build.

IMO, and this is totally preference, I would take the three points out of morbidity and place them in Toughness in the frost tree. The reduced cd on DnD is nice, however, survivability is your number one job. The convenience of more DnDs will come later.

This is definitely just my opinion so only change if you happen to agree. It's not important enough that you "have" to do it. As it is, Outlands should not really challenge your threat or your survivability so much that the order you choose your talents will be make or break as long as you are not taking bad talents. I say "should not" because you will run into bad healers occasionally and you will run into reckless dps occasionally and it's up to you which you want to address first, lol.

Also, be sure to check the buffs of any dps who are a real problem. While tanking in the Outlands I have seen MANY ret pallies who have Righteous Fury on and dk's in frost, and even the occasional warrior in defensive although you can't see that from his buffs. For warriors, check the abilities being used in recount. If they use a lot of whirlwind, bloodthirst, rend, they are probably not in defensive.

Firstly: DnD is need for aggro, I just have to have it up every other pull basically due to the larger number of mobs (5+) in most pulls.

Secondly: Thank you all. It has helped, although most complaints were few and far between I haven't heard any recently.

Even at level 80 and at about 6k gs for my tank gear, I still open with D&D if it is a group pull of any size.

Also tell people to stuff it when they say you are going too slow. Tell them if they want you to maintain aggro, pulls are going to be at least 30s apart unless you spec for faster D&D.

Selene hit my meaning with saying that the reduced cd on DnD is a convenience.

I understand you probably need it on every pull. I just mean you may have to wait for the cd for the next pull in order to pick up more survivability now.

Again, the order you pick up those talents is more up to preference and you personal experience, of whether you lose aggro more or die on pulls more.

The dnd issue about convenience is a big help in the deciding factor of the issue.. Many groups just don't have any patients. i think ill throw a couple points in there for for a time.. My personal dmg vs everyone's and the threat.

+ Reply to Thread