+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Offspec for Pally Tank?

Best Offspec for Pally Tank?

For ICC tanking as a pally, what would the best offspec be to have? By best I mean an offspec that would be useful to switch to while raiding (i.e. switching between bosses), not a spec to just mess around with. Thoughts?

The one you enjoy more?

There's very few (really no, unless you do unusual strats) fights in ICC requiring one tank. So if you're a backup tank wanting to get raid spots more often, go healer; if you want to be able to switch for a weird one-tank strat (we use one tank for val, thats the only fight) you're more likely to be able to actually switch to DPS.

That's a hard question to answer.

Prot/Ret is more "versatile" in that its often easier for a tank to switch to dps than for a tank to switch to heals (unless a healer wants/can switch to dps), plus questing is so much easier as Ret than either of the other two.

Prot/Holy does make it "easier" to get into a raid though, since you can Tank or Heal.

If you are the 3rd tank in a 25 man ICC group, your best bet would probably be ret.

If you are the offtank doing 10 man ICC heroics, you can try going holy, so that your main tank can solo tank Marrowgar.

While all the suggestions are generally true, it's also worth looking at your raid group. Assuming you're tanking for a guild with at least a mostly consistent raid group, just ask them. They may have very few offspec healers and are in need of one, or conversely, they may have too many and simply want you as a dps.

In most cases, though, I would simply say switch to either what you are best at, or what you enjoy more. Unless they are the same, in which go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesauce View Post
    While all the suggestions are generally true, it's also worth looking at your raid group. Assuming you're tanking for a guild with at least a mostly consistent raid group, just ask them. They may have very few offspec healers and are in need of one, or conversely, they may have too many and simply want you as a dps.

In most cases, though, I would simply say switch to either what you are best at, or what you enjoy more. Unless they are the same, in which go for that.
    Had a friend that was changing his specs every few weeks, because he loved to dps, heal and tank O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Had a friend that was changing his specs every few weeks, because he loved to dps, heal and tank O.o
    Haha, yeah, I do that, too. About every week or two I will switch my OS. Sadly I don't get to raid with them that much since I'm always tanking any fight we do. Was nice for ToC though.

I tried that for a little while. Have full ICC gear sets for each spec. Eventually, got tired of it.

Instead, I now have two paladins, both have full ICC gear sets for at least 2 specs.

+ Reply to Thread