+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior: Looking for refinement; What hit rating should I have?

Prot Warrior: Looking for refinement; What hit rating should I have?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...idge&cn=Koloss
    -some reason the insert link did not want to work

Activity:

3-5 days
    4-5 dungeon runs per day
    weekly raid, and need to learn the other raids, and worried about what to do mostly.
    At 4600 gs

Current funds:

Frost: 36, I should get on more often to get them from the dailies.
    Triumph: 1, when I do get on I usually run around 4-5 dungeon runs a day.
    Honor points: 2837, I generally only do winter grasp, though I have thought about random battlegrounds. I general spend these on just Epic gems.
    Stone keeper shards: 199
    Gold: 575, I generally make around 1500 in a week, but itís been going towards gear, and also prospecting for JC tokens.
    Champion seals are being used to buy vanity pets for my main.
    I don't care for the idea of doing arenas and so I am not likely to get these.

JC only cuts known:

Solid dragonís eye: 51 stam.
    Rigid Dragon's Eye: 34 Hit Rating
    Subtle Dragon's Eye: 34 dodge
    Thick Dragon's Eye: 34 Defense Rating - now obsolete

Working on getting:

Signet of the Impregnable Fortress, 25 Valor Emblems.
    Platinum Mesh cloak, 25 Valor
    Glyph of indomitability, 50 Triumph
    Corroded Skeleton Key, 60 Frost

Questions:

Whatís the opinion of Shard of the crystal forest? I would lose 140.4 block value, but everything else would be a gain.

Iím currently using a 34 hit rating JC gem, and 3x12 hit rating gems. This puts me to 175 hit rating, and just a bit above 5% chances to hit.

Now that my gear is semi permanent Iím am looking towards getting the better enchantments to work with. What should I be looking for? I currently have 5 Abyss Crystal, 2 Dream shards on me.

What Raids am a qualified gear wise to attempt as OT, or possibly MT once I research about them?

PS. Just changed my meta to the 32 Stam, 2% armor one, in case armory hasn't updated that.

here's my view on your items:

Head: 245 Triumph badge helmet
    Neck: Tank neck from Halls of reflection lich king escape end chest
    Belt: What you have will do until you can afford the frost badge belt, which is worth every penny.
    Boots: Black spire sabatons, Forge of souls heroic end boss
    Ring: There's a tank ring in ToC5 heroic. It'll tide you over until you can get the ICC verdict ring.
    Trinks: 245 triumph badge trink, and run ToC5 NORMAL until you get the black heart. get some dps'ers that are hunting abyssal rune and you'll get 5 runs done before tea.
    Back: Frost badge cape. There is nothing better.
    Weapon: Rimefang's claw, Pit of Saron Heroic end boss

Gems: Gem stamina everywhere, obviously using your JC-only cuts where appropriate. Only variation: put a purple in to activate meta, and gain a good socket bonus.

Notes: do not spend frosts on anything except the frost cloak, gloves, chest and belt. They are awesome upgrades and anythign else should wait. if you absolutely MUST have the trink, buy it and return it every 2 hours, thereby keeping the emblems.

Regarding hit: bust your hump getting armour and stamina, not hit and expertise. They are 'nice to have', not 'must have'.

Only pvp enough to get the pvp shoulder enchant, otherwise, just do it for fun/something to do.

Enchants: key ones are: blood draining for weapon. +275 health for chest. +armour for back. Tuskarr's for feet (some people prefer +stam only, but mobility on a tank is win). Bracer, ditch the +stats and get +stamina instead. Gloves you can go armsman or expertise. Helmet you want the argent crusade rep tank enchant. shoulders the hodir or pvp one, the pvp one is preferred.

Raids: obs10 and obs25 should be straightforward for you. You could probably offtank for ToC10 and 25, but make sure you know the fights, especially northrend beasts. ICC you could probably tank 4/12 minimum with a good team helping you out, especially with the buffs out at the moment.
    Last edited by Metasynaptic; 05-30-2010 at 10:30 PM.

I think you have some of the wrong gearing priorities. Do 5 man trial normal for the black heart...completely overpowered for its item budget.
    Do the ICC 5 mans available on heroic as much as you can.
    Don't prioritize the stamina trinket from frost badges.......the tier pieces or belt, or cloak are all much better upgrades.
    The glyph armor trink from triumph badges is a nice buy too.
    Do VOA 10 and 25 as soon as your gear allows for the chance of tier drops (and frost badges).
    Dump the frost/hit gems. Stack stamina in every single slot, except head slot, make the +12 bonus there with an agility stam (dodge stam will do either).
    Get a titanium weap chain for your weapon pretty low budget for you. And 275 health is better on chest and if you need defence for uncrittable use the shield enchant. Otherwise stam on shield I go for.
    Tuskarrs vitality for boots the runspeed is king. Leatherworker leg patch agility stamina for legs.

As regards raids etc. The 5 man runs would be sufficient for gearing for a while and little skill needed for voa then. Weekly raid should be easy most weeks its pure luck what you get though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Don't prioritize the stamina trinket from frost badges.......the tier pieces or belt, or cloak are all much better upgrades.
    Mostly yes, but I personally disagree with the tier pieces... the 264 badge gear (cataclysmic chest guard, gloves of the kraken) are better unless you can upgrade tier gear with a sanctified thingie from ICC 25 straight away.

Hit is primarily a threat stat and you should only be concerned with it if you think you have threat problems. I would sooner replace the glyph of resonating power with the glyph of devastate for threat than seek more hit. If you really think you need hit that badly, you should gem in yellow sockets 10 hit 15 stam.

Expertise (at least up to 26) is actually better in terms of threat for you and you should consider red sockets gemming 10 exp 15 stam if you are concerned with your threat.

You're a tank and your job is to take damage not to deal it. As long as mobs are all glued to you, I wouldn't worry too much about hit/exp.

0, the only thing that -needs- to land is Taunt; use Glyph of Taunt.

or cheat, and vig the other tank.

Taunt is based off spell hit (17%) so you need 11% spell hit from gear and debuffs on the target etc.

You need to check your spell tab for this.

The minimum hit i stick to is 133 as this pushes your spell hit just over 5%. You get 1% from draenei as alliance, and 3% from misery or improved faerie fire. For fights where taunts don't matter i replace my ashen verdict ring with the heroic 10 man twins armor ring (marrowgar for example).

High level raids have been tanked without gimmicks with low levels of both hit and expertise (something like 40 hit and 16 expertise). Neither of those is a number to "aim" for. Just take what is on the gear. Your threat should be high enough with modifiers that you can miss or be dodged/parried occasionally and not fall behind the dps on threat.

Quote Originally Posted by dgen View Post
    0, the only thing that -needs- to land is Taunt; use Glyph of Taunt.
    There's not much more to it. You should be focusing on EH or Stamina, not threat. As I've always said, 1 Misdirect / ToT from each of the Hunters' and Rogues' in the raid should suffice.

i cant understand how this gear would be permanent...triumph upgrades should be just around the corner and you have 30 frost which is enough for at least 1 item.
    but if you want gem and enchant suggestions: stack stam. w/ those jc cuts it should be no problem. i finally hit 40k unbuffed the other day - you should hit that no problem with even worse gear haha
    any piece of gear you get should be stamstamstam
    warriors are squishy! we dont have the mitigation like a pally or the health like a druid but we sure as hell can try
    every enchant should be stam - bracers, feet, and sheild are what i can think of off the top of my head
    chest should be +10 stats, helm should be from the argent rep (vendor is right outside dal in that camp) and shoulders should be from hodir rep which is a joke to get now with those tokens. the only def enchant you should have would be on your cloak

thats my advice and what i have on my tank. this is my toon right now if you want to take a look at her gear, gems and ench - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...krond&cn=Ixyra

Warriors are not particularly squishy.

Chest should be 275 hp. Shoulder enchant should be the PvP one. Armor on the cloak is better if you don't need defense for cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixyra View Post
    i cant understand how this gear would be permanent...triumph upgrades should be just around the corner and you have 30 frost which is enough for at least 1 item.
    but if you want gem and enchant suggestions: stack stam. w/ those jc cuts it should be no problem. i finally hit 40k unbuffed the other day - you should hit that no problem with even worse gear haha
    any piece of gear you get should be stamstamstam
    warriors are squishy! we dont have the mitigation like a pally or the health like a druid but we sure as hell can try
    every enchant should be stam - bracers, feet, and sheild are what i can think of off the top of my head
    chest should be +10 stats, helm should be from the argent rep (vendor is right outside dal in that camp) and shoulders should be from hodir rep which is a joke to get now with those tokens. the only def enchant you should have would be on your cloak

thats my advice and what i have on my tank. this is my toon right now if you want to take a look at her gear, gems and ench - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...krond&cn=Ixyra

Which item costs 30 frost again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread