+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot. Warrior, Just hit 80, need some advice

Prot. Warrior, Just hit 80, need some advice

I just hit 80 this week and i really need to know what gear i should focus on getting. I really don't know if I'm using the right gems. What should i be doing right now? I just need some help to get started.

Here is My Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=Z%C3%BArg

I still trying to get all epic's, and i'm trying to find some tanking wrist, but i cant find any.

Thank You.

This is a quick skim. I'm sure someone will post a more in-depth analysis in an hour or so.

Enchants: You're probably already working on this, but enchant everything you can. (Refer to Agg's Guide if you need help on this)

Gemming: All of your gems should be Blue "Solid Zircons/Sapphires". The only places you shouldn't have +30 stam are your helm and anywhere you can get a +9 stamina socket bonus with one purple gem. (Aiming for +9 socket bonuses is a personal preference choice. You can skip this as long as you have a purple gem to activate your meta.)

Helm: 32 stam/2% armor for meta gem. Enchant it with Arcanum of the protector .
    Ring: I'd recommend picking up Clutch of Fortification sometime soon.
    Shoulders: Do a wintergrasp battle + weekly quests and use the 10k honor on: Inscription of the Gladiator.
    Wrists: Look into Saronite Swordbreakers
    Last edited by Gravy; 05-30-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

Thanks im going to swap out my gems right now. I dont any pvp gear, so should i still do wintergrasp? and imma try to get those wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zrg View Post
    Thanks im going to swap out my gems right now. I dont any pvp gear, so should i still do wintergrasp? and imma try to get those wrist.
    Yes, you should. The point of this was to get the honor for the 30 Stamina / 15 Resillience Shoulder enchant ASAP, it's our best-in-slot enchant for the Shoulder slot.

I'm going to be very brief, as I don't have much time to spare this morning (Australia, GMT+10, 7:30AM atm).

Use
    this spec - it's the general 'cookie cutter' spec for Protection Warrior at the moment, and it's basically all you'll need to begin your tanking adventures; the only time I can see you possibly needing to change anything, would be whilst AoE tanking, and the change would be Glyph of Shield Wall to Glyph of Cleaving(let me know if you need an explanation as to why).

I'll briefly cover enchants; PM me via. these forums if you require a more in-depth explanation as to 'x' or 'y'.

• * Helm - 37 Stamina / 20 Defense.
      * Shoulders - 30 Stamina / 15 Resilience.
      * Cloak - 225 Armor.
      * Chest - 275 Health.
      * Bracers - 40 Stamina.
      * Gloves - 240 Armor OR Armsman IF threat is a problem(back to 240 Armor when it is not).
      * Boots - Tuskar's Vitality. It's superior to 22 Stamina as the added mobility helps in EVERY situation.
      * Weapon - Mongoose once you have a suitable weapon (one you'll use for a while) or Titanium Weapon Chain on crappier ones. Blood Draining is best in slot once you reach hard-modes or encounters where your health fluctuates a lot.
      * Shield - 18 Stamina OR 20 Defense if you're having trouble reaching the 540 Defense cap(the cap is only 536 if you have the 30 Stamina / 15 Resilience Shoulder enchant).

Gemming; key - B = Blue / R = Red / Y = Yellow.

Gear with 1-2 gem sockets;

• B Sockets = 30 Stamina.
      R Sockets = 15 Dodge / 15 Stamina IF the socket bonus is equal to, or greater than +9 Stamina(this will be almost always, from what I've seen thus far).
      Y Sockets = 30 Stamina.

Gear with 2-3 gem sockets;

• B Sockets = 30 Stamina.
      R Sockets = 30 Stamina.
      Y Sockets = 30 Stamina.

I'll now briefly cover your possible-upcoming gearing choices and so fourth. This is just what I'd do, to save as much money as possible, whilst maximizing my tanking ability at the same time.

• * Helm - this.
      * Neck - this.
      * Shoulders - T9 iLevel 245.
      * Cloak - this.
      * Chest - T9 iLevel 245.
      * Bracers - this.
      * Gloves - T9 iLevel 245.
      * Belt - this.
      * Legs - this - yes, this means you'll have to fork out ~ 8000G.
      * Boots - this - don't listen to anyone who tells you to get the crafted iLevel 264 Boots made, they are a waste of money, as they have 0 Defense, and you can't afford more than 1 piece without Defense whilst you're gearing up. Pillar's of Might is an exception as they are best-in-slot for this entire expansion.
      * Rings - this and this. This is also very good in the Revered and Exalted versions, so be sure to pick that up once you begin doing ICC.
      * Trinkets - this is the only option I can think of off the top of my head. Glyph of Indomitability would be the trinket I'd usually suggest here, but you already have it, which made me smile - good choice!
      * Weapon - this. The 232 version should suffice too, until you're ToGC10-viable. This is also our best-in-slot in terms of EHP, so don't ever get rid of it should you encounter a higher iLevel weapon.
      * Shield - this. Hands down easiest Shield to get your hands on, plus it's fairly decent.
      * Ranged - this. Cheap, and second best-in-slot. Do itttt.

Keep T9 iLevel 245 Shoulders & Gloves until you get T10 in those slots, as the 2pc T9 helps a lot with threat, especially in conjunction with Glyph of Devastate.

I realize two of the listed items are obtained via. Emblem of Frost, but there's honestly nothing that's substantially good in those slots prior to the mentioned items - and Emblems of Frost aren't necessarily 'hard' to come by, even if it's just 4/12 ICC 10, the raid weekly and daily heroic that you're running for them.

That's all I have time for my friend, I'll post more later if I get the chance.

As I always tell the authors of these threads, if you need anymore advice or help, be sure to PM me via. these forums or message me in-game on Xav - Jubei'thos. As long as I'm not doing arena, I should be free to help you out.
    Last edited by dgen; 06-01-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Eeeep, I just couldn't help myself ..

Pickup Jewelcrafting and Leatherworking if you have the gold to spare, they're the best in terms of EHP, and the +70 resist enchants from Leatherworking help A LOT with fights like Anub'arak and Sindragosa / Lich King.

I realize you won't see the latter for quite some time, but it's still the same concept with other fights that have elemental (fire / frost / nature / shadow / arcane) damage as their main source of outgoing damage.

Okay, I'm logging now!

Hope this helps, take care. (:

Thanks. Im going to respec and get some new glyphs right now. I don't think they will let me into any raids with my gearscore right now. It's at 4366. I guess ill just keep doing heroics for now.

now that I replaced my defense rating gems with stam gems my def rating is only 524.
    what should i do

now that I replaced my defense rating gems with stam gems my def rating is only 524.
    what should i do
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=50369 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=44957 if you haven't already

After that, do 6-7 random heroics and grab http://www.wowhead.com/item=47731
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

K thanks. I'll post here if i have another problem

Alright All got the 2 enchants and the ring. What should i go for now.

If i was you i would just start raiding some small raid's and still do randoms to farm emblems and in raids just need all the tank gear that is better than urs, when u doing that u will get slowly high enugh gs for some high raids and then it will just fly. you will get gear fast as warr tank. I self did it this way i got 5500+ atm in prot in fury 5282 or something. My armory is http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...t&cn=Platetank ... But just respeced from prot to arms, hope it helps =)

Am i geared enough to do ToC 10 Yet?

wow-heroes.com

This is a nice site for checking your gear and also for seeing "What can I run?" If it's yellow, you can run with a good group. Any guild should be able to clear content if everyone is in the yellow for that content. For PuG'ing, being in the green is better because you will need more margin for error. If your skill is good enough, you can PuG in the yellow. Just expect some people to give you grief over your gear (they are wrong, but they will most likely win). Just make sure that you are doing what you can to be "right" with your gearing/gemming/enchanting.

Read Agg's guide in Theory and Mechanics called "Why We Do What We Do". This will explain WHY we stack stam. Stacking stam is not dumb unless you have no idea why. Usually, you will use one agil/stam or dodge/stam gem to activate your meta and everything else will be 30 stam. This is largely because we can't gem for armor so stam is the best there is. Agg's guide should give you an idea of the gear you will want too. After you have read that, you should know that Ick's Rotting Thumb is bad and The Black Heart is great, for example.

Also, look for a guide called "Gearing your Tank in LFD" also on this site. This is probably the best heroics BiS list currently. As for gear from raids, it is just a matter of taking what you can get. You need to be able to tell if a piece is an upgrade for you when it drops. That is why reading Agg's guide is important. You don't necessarily need to be able to do the math, just understand the results.

Use this spec - it's the general 'cookie cutter' spec for Protection Warrior at the moment, and it's basically all you'll need to begin your tanking adventures; the only time I can see you possibly needing to change anything, would be whilst AoE tanking, and the change would be Glyph of Shield Wall to Glyph of Cleaving(let me know if you need an explanation as to why).
    Admittedly I haven't been paying much attention to the latest and greatest with tanking lately but what's the deal with this spec?

What's the utility in 1/2 damage shield, especially for someone running a lot of heroics with multi-mob pulls? Same question applies to 4/5 toughness? 2% additional armor seems like a pretty good trade for 2/2 safeguard.

Is there something I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Admittedly I haven't been paying much attention to the latest and greatest with tanking lately but what's the deal with this spec?

What's the utility in 1/2 damage shield, especially for someone running a lot of heroics with multi-mob pulls? Same question applies to 4/5 toughness? 2% additional armor seems like a pretty good trade for 2/2 safeguard.

Is there something I'm missing?
    It's a max threat build, with added utility with less cooldown on a Warrior tanks' most reliable defensive cooldown, that is Shield Wall. Intervene is almost never used on other players as a defensive cooldown in normal situations(IE player not sucking and doing their job), it's more of a mobility ability in most cases(at least in my experience).

Edit: Apologies, the link in my original post must have cached from some retarded spec I was checking out at an earlier date, I spec this.
    Edit #2: OP updated & LOL, I am so sorry Zrg, you'll have to respec again and I see you've copied the spec I incorrectly posted the other day - sincerest apologies.

Thank you Griff. *facedesk*
    Last edited by dgen; 06-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Am i geared enough to do ToC 10 Yet?
    Yes, you're almost geared enough to do ToGC10, to be honest. I did ToGC25 when I was in pre-Ulduar best in slots', with a few random Ulduar 10 & Emblem pieces.

I got smashed on Gormok, but with a boss Holy Paladin behind me I was able to tank Acidmaw and Lord Jaraxxus without much hassle.

You have to remember a lot of the questions you're asking are vastly dependent on the group itself, and the skill median (or general skill of the playerbase) of the realm you're based on.

For example, on Jubei'thos, it's not often that a ToGC10 pug clears the entire instance, and if they do it's rare that the group meet the requirements for A Tribute to Skill (between 25-44 attempts remaining) - whereas on a realm like Blackrock or Frostmourne, pugs quite frequently achieve A Tribute to Mad Skill (between 45-49 attempts remaining) or better(A Tribute to Insanity; 50 attempts remaining).

Hope this helps ya' out some - this is my last post for ~ 3 days or so, it's my nieces 11th today, so I'm busy with that + work. *cry*
    Last edited by dgen; 06-01-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Thank you all

very nice, only a week and you have all 5pc tanking set item 232s...

some of my friends suggested getting only 4pc, just to obtain set bonus and save up some emblems for future use.
    if you already have enough defense, capped at 540, i would suggest vit gems also. vit and hit gems are a personnal favorite.

and also suggested is to do some exalted reps with several northrend factions, those shoulder enchants, and headgear enchants are pretty handy. even the items that you could buy from their quartermasters are very helpful too.

i am sure you could do toc10 heroic, with the right group and strategy drilled into your group.

the first time i tried, impaler ok, but several wipes with acidmaw and his buddy...

yup same here septimX did it today got up to Anum'arak then we kept wiping, bad dps's though they wern't dodging the orbs. Check out my gear now just got new helm wrist, and gun.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=Z%C3%BArg
    How is my gear now? What gear should i go for? And what raids can i do?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to be doing the right stuff.
    Thank You all.

+ Reply to Thread