+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another question about Expertise for a Warrior tank

Another question about Expertise for a Warrior tank

Ok so please don't shoot me or cleave me in twain or whatever you warrior guys do, but I want to ask a question.

My wife is a warrior tank who is now tanking in some 10/ICC runs. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...lygos&cn=Laina)

Anyway, as we're working on her gear upgrades one thing I see coming is that she's going to be losing a good bit of expertise. Which I understand isn't a big deal as long as she's not having threat issues. However, I'm wondering if there is a threshold which you should try to avoid dipping below. For instance if she replaces her current helm with the T10 one, she's going to lose 8 expertise which will drop her down to a total of 9.

I ask this because after doing some research and reading on these forums, I saw the general advice of "don't sweat expertise" as a general rule of thumb. However I later saw a thread where (I believe) Agg said that he was uncomfortable with dipping below 11 expertise in regards to another posters question.

So is there a no-no zone regarding expertise that you don't want to drop below? Or fugetaboutit and just press on with stamina?

Thanks for your help and advice folks!

Imo it's a comfort zone/playstyle thing. I personally will hit +9stam bonuses that require 1 red hybrid gem with a +10exp/+15stam gem if I feel like my expertise is too low for comfort. I personally would get edgy about dropping that low, but other people won't care. Just taking a quick glance at her armory I'd say her best option is to go for the Cataclysmic Chestguard next with her emblems of frost. It'll solve quite a few problems, then probably go for gauntlets of the kraken after that. Also, never gem 10str/15stam as a warrior. Str is not as good of a threat stat as expertise until hardcap (57 expertise, which no ICC warrior is in danger of hitting) but neither stat is as good as having a proper spec and rotation.

Also, there is 40 expertise/40 stam food that you can use if you feel that you're too far below the cap.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

It a personal preference thing really. Some of the other here say don't worry about expertise or hit rating at all. So really just comes down to do you want expertise or not.
    Agg is giving some solid advice.

Hey, thanks for the replies! Yeah, cause I feel kind of weird thinking of a tank dipping into the single digits of expertise, I thought we'd use any red slots (with at least +9stam bonus) for the hybrid exp/stam gem.

And you helped me out in figuring out what her next Frost purchase should be. I was going to say the T10 helm cause there's not one in ICC10 she could get but I know the chest is a bigger upgrade for now. We keep hoping Deathwhisper will drop that darn chest but oh well. And yes, that str/stam gem is an old one we just never got around to replacing in those pants.

Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

NP. if you're only doing 10 mans, then definitely get the 264 frost emblem gear first, it is going to be way better than anything you'll find at the 251 level.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

I ran ICC for quite a few bosses with just the Cataclysm chest, coupling with Vitality for 16 expertise. As long as her rotation is tight the stats will matter very little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Whoa, whoa...wait a sec.

I missed something I guess and just now caught it. (Been a long work week.)

Are you saying she needs to not go for the T10 bonuses? And just grab the 264 gear instead? Or maybe just get the 2piece bonus (helm/shoulder)?

As an aside her brother crafted the Boots of Kingly Upheaval last night. Just got to gem them...

Thanks again for the patience and assistance here folks!

T10 2pc bonus isn't that great for depending on class.
    DKs for example is a buff to damage from D&D, which is something that won't help much with bosses.

Yes get the 264 gear over the 4 piece T10. I recommend the 2 piece T10 however, as the 2 pc bonus is a hefty threat boost.

The tank is a warrior Selene.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

When people say "Don't get the 4peice" they, usually, don't include the 2Peice in that statement. Most tanks will opt for the Tier Helm/Shoulders, and then buy the Badge Gloves/Chest along with Pillars of might.

2 Piece is actually pretty strong as as long as you minimize your stat loss, Hence using Helm/Shoulders, then there is nothing wrong with grabbing them.

Quote Originally Posted by covert7 View Post
    Whoa, whoa...wait a sec.

I missed something I guess and just now caught it. (Been a long work week.)

Are you saying she needs to not go for the T10 bonuses? And just grab the 264 gear instead? Or maybe just get the 2piece bonus (helm/shoulder)?
    Ya, pretty much. The T10 4pc bonus just isn't that great at the 251 level. I personally would only get it at the 264 level as I transitioned into the 277 level (where it is very worth it). Imo go Cata Chest, Kraken Gloves, Pillars of might and then get T10 shoulders/helm AFTER all of that.

As an aside her brother crafted the Boots of Kingly Upheaval last night. Just got to gem them...

Thanks again for the patience and assistance here folks!
    Imo if you are going to spend money on something crafted go for pillars of might, if you have both pillars and kingly boots then you might run into some defense problems but if you are using the cata chest piece instead of the T10 (hint: you should) then you'll probably be fine.

Just to mentioned the stamina/resilience shoulder enchant helps with the loss of defense in terms of crit immunity too . Nothing more to add though, I wholeheartedly agree with Agg.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but for warriors the T10 helm is BiS at every iLvL (normal 251, sanctified 264, H-sanctified 277) and the shoulders are 2nd BiS behind only the 25 Gunship drops by 18 sta which is offset by the 2pc threat bonus when coupling these with the Tier Helm.

And the Emblem chest/hands are > T Chest and Hands @ the 264 level even with the 4pc bonus except for a few specific fights (maybe fester, sid, and LK?)?

It's only at the 277 level that the T10 gear is BiS for Chest and Hands (with Pillars + Lost Hope the two choices for legs)?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Ya, pretty much. The T10 4pc bonus just isn't that great at the 251 level. I personally would only get it at the 264 level as I transitioned into the 277 level (where it is very worth it). Imo go Cata Chest, Kraken Gloves, Pillars of might and then get T10 shoulders/helm AFTER all of that.

Imo if you are going to spend money on something crafted go for pillars of might, if you have both pillars and kingly boots then you might run into some defense problems but if you are using the cata chest piece instead of the T10 (hint: you should) then you'll probably be fine.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but for warriors the T10 helm is BiS at every iLvL (normal 251, sanctified 264, H-sanctified 277) and the shoulders are 2nd BiS behind only the 25 Gunship drops by 18 sta which is offset by the 2pc threat bonus when coupling these with the Tier Helm.

And the Emblem chest/hands are > T Chest and Hands @ the 264 level even with the 4pc bonus except for a few specific fights (maybe fester, sid, and LK?)?

It's only at the 277 level that the T10 gear is BiS for Chest and Hands (with Pillars + Lost Hope the two choices for legs)?
    And this
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread