+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trinket selection boss by boss.

Trinket selection boss by boss.

Ok, I've done the searches, and I'm still not a lot clearer in my mind about my swag of trinkets and where they are most appropriate for each boss. So, I want to make a clear to read cheat sheet so I know when I tank a boss, which trinks I should be taking, whether I'm tank or off tank.

Now, a lot of what I write here will likely be in error, because I have much more experience healing in ICC than tanking, so contributions and corrections are not only welcome, they are encouraged. Also, is something like this has already been written, let me know.

This is mostly from the point of view of a PROTECTION WARRIOR. This will be a work in progress for a while.

Commonly seen trinkets used in ICC:

Stamina based trinks

Blackheart (On equip stamina, on proc armor)
    Sindragosa's Flawless Fang (On equip stamina, on use increased resistance)
    Corroded Skeleton Key (On equip stamina, on use damage absorb)
    Juggernaut's Vitality/Satrina's Impending Scarab - referred collectively as Jugg's vitality (On equip stamina, on use increased max health)
    Essence of Gossamer (On equip stamina, on proc reduced damage)

Armor based trinks

Glyph of indomitability (On equip armor, on use dodge)
    Unidentifiable Organ (On equip armor, on proc increased stamina)

Avoidance based trinks

Corpse Tongue Coin (On equip dodge, low health procs armor boost)
    Ick's Rotting Thumb (On equip dodge, on use increased health)

Bosses

Marrowgar

Boss notes: Deals physical and frost damage. Sabre lash requires tank stacking.
    Desirable trink attributes: Effective health
    Recommendations: Concentrate on trinks with increased stamina and armor

Lady Deathwhisper

Boss notes: Deals frost and shadow damage. Phase one has lots of add tanking.
    Desirable trink attributes: Effective health
    Recommendations: Much of the damage is magic based. Concentrate on trinks with increased stamina.

Gunship battle

Boss notes: Many damage types. Highly varied tank responsibilities including Boss tanking and marine tanking.
    Desirable trink attributes: Avoidance
    Recommendations: Concentrate on trinks with increased avoidance. Stamina is also valuable.

Deathbringer Saurfang

Boss notes: Strictly physical damage. MT and OT responsibilities are virtually identical.
    Desirable trink attributes: Armor
    Recommendations: Concentrate on trinks with armor. Stamina and avoidance are usable.

Festergut

Boss notes: Mostly physical damage. MT and OT responsibilities are similar, with some cooldowns required on taunt.
    Desirable trink attributes: Armor, stamina
    Recommendations: Concentrate on trinks with armor. Stamina is highly desirable as well. Trinks with cooldowns are a very good idea to soak up the spike damage on agro change.

Rotface

Boss notes: Damage is not significant. MT and OT responsibilities are very different, as the OT must kite oozes.
    Desirable trink attributes: Stamina
    Recommendations: Concentrate on trinks with stamina. Armor is also valuable.
    Last edited by Metasynaptic; 05-26-2010 at 08:11 PM.

I wouldn't recommend avoidance trinkets at all. If you outgear content then certainly. If you are running progression, do not gear for avoidance, gear for EH.

To add to your list:

Festergut:

Tank damage is primarily physical, so I would use stam/armor.

Rotface:

Doesn't hit particularily hard, but for main tanking him I would go stam/armor. Stam/Stam is also fine.

Putricide:

This is a tough one, phase 3 is usually a concern, but Stam/Stam would likely be your best bet to give the healers more reaction time.

Valrithia:

Either Stam/Stam or Stam/Armor. Nothing is really life threatening, so I would say Stam/Stam is probably the way to go for healer reaction time again.

Syndragosa:

Stam/Stam.

BPC:

If tanking 2 princes: Stam/Armor. If Keleseth tanking: Stam/Stam. If only tanking one prince, Stam/Stam.

BQL:

Main tank: Stam/armor for mitigation. OT: Stam/Stam.

LK:

Stam/Stam. Soul reapers eat you alive.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Might want to check this out as well.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ht=Conclusions
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I knew that list was somewhere... it's just early and I'm lazy. Thanks Boda!
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    I knew that list was somewhere... it's just early and I'm lazy. Thanks Boda!
    Yup np.

I would say the list still holds true today even though I didn't finish adding parse data to some of the bosses. Realistically I use Stamina/Stamina for everything in 25 normal anyway. I have the Organ (non heroic) but since I don't MT Blood Queen (which would be the only one I would swap for) its Stamina/Stamina for the whole instance.

I have plenty of tasty bonus armor on my gear, more stamina (especially with the ICC buff increasing) just makes the most sense in a trinket slot to me.

Over 72k raid buffed with the 20% buff and able to push over 100k with Satrina's and LS if needed. Pretty hawt.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 05-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Might want to check this out as well.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ht=Conclusions

Thanks for that. basically same/similar to what I was trying to do.

+ Reply to Thread