+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would I be able to tank ICC10?

Would I be able to tank ICC10?

Okay, I would love to hear what you people think. Is my gear good enough to tank ICC10?

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have a lot of raiding experience post burning crusade (and that was with my hunter), but I have tanked/off-tanked a few bosses in Naxxramas(10), Trial of the Crusader(10) and Obsidian Sanctum(10). We 'zerged' OS10, did this achievement.

Anyway, here is a link to my armory and some quick stats.

Toffsen of Doomhammer (EU)
    Health: 41,286
    Defense: 538
    Dodge: 27.68%
    Parry: 22.06%
    Block: 15.52%
    Expertise: 19
    Hit Rating: 230
    Armor: 29,490

Any tips and pointers on things that could be improved would be greatly appreciated.

Replaced my old stats with my new ones, yet again, would love to hear what people think now.
    (And for the GS horny people, I'm up at 5329.)

Might be time to do a little update again.
    I have tanked ICC10 twice now, we managed to down Festergut and Rotface the first time around but we did wipe on Professor Putricide due to the raid not paying attention. The second time we managed to get to Rotface (didn't even attempt Festergut) but wiped.
    Both of these were PuGs, half decent ones at that might I add.

I would guess that I would be able to tank up to Sindragosa, which I'm not certain that I have the gear for or would even be able to find a PuG that gets that far.
    Last edited by Cutpaper; 08-23-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Typos, updated stats, linked wrong item.

You should be good for the first wing.
    Max out your mining and work on your blacksmithing til you can do the wrist and glove bonus sockets. That's an extra 120 Stamina you are missing.

How are your Frost Emblems coming along? First purchase would probably want the cloak. Since it would be a huge upgrade for you.
    You should be good to do ToC25, get into there and try to get some additional gear.

Hmm, I'll make sure to raise my Mining and Blacksmithing before I try to get a group to ICC10 then. Thanks.

As for frost Emblems... I was stupid enough to use them for Primordial Saronites since I had no intention of raiding at first. Tanking raids is something that recently started to sound appealing to me, but had planned on doing as you suggested, I'm going to save up for the Cloak first.
    I will see if I can pug ToC25 then, thanks yet again.

Really appreciate all the help, cheers.
    Last edited by Cutpaper; 05-25-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Typos

Hey there, I'm dgen - here is what I think you should do, or what I'd do / I did in your situation.

First of all, your Glove enchant was the first thing that I thought could be changed, +240 Armor is a lot better than Armsman and +18 Stamina both, as Armor is more valuable than Stamina, and if you require the 2% threat from Armsman, you might want to reevaluate your tanking cycle or priority list.

You seem to have a pretty good idea on the Warrior design, and honestly, I can't comment badly on much other than the above - the rest is mainly preferential stuff.

• * I'd recommend changing Glyph of Blocking to Glyph of Taunt, mainly 'cause from here on in, you'll lose hit by the bucket load as you pickup upgrades.

* You mentioned you'd get Pillars of Might as gold allows and when you find a way to replace the missing defense - the answer to this is dropping the Boots you currently use, for the Legs, then getting Boots that have Defense on them, as Armor is what you want to be aiming for, more than all 3 of the stats the Boots have on them. these or these are a fairly decent option, just until you can get these.

* Replace Glyph of Bloodrage with Glyph of Charge for the additional mobility, this helps a lot for fights like Lady Deathwhisper and Valithria Dreamwalker particularly, where you'll be moving a lot, but also just moving in general.

* Replace +20 Defense on your Shield with +18 Stamina.

* Replace +16 Defense on your Cloak with +225 Armor once you've upgraded Mark of the Relentless as you mentioned you'd do as gold allows, as Armor is king for tanks - it's more valuable than Stamina, point-for-point.

I assume you're only using Defense enchants cause you're border-line capped. You can drop to 536 Defense because of your Shoulder Enchant's +15 Resillience, so that helps a lot too.

PM me via. these forums with further questions if necessary, hope this has helped.

Ah, cheers dgen! I really appreciate the tips, will be sure to take them in consideration as I continue to strive towards getting good enough gear for ICC10.

As for the enchant on the gloves, that actually slipped my mind. But I have to admit that there are times at which I do struggle a little to keep up with aggro, but I altered my "rotation"(priorities) a bit and it seems to be better now.

Anyway, thanks!
    Last edited by Cutpaper; 05-26-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Accidently hit post a bit too early, missed out on half the post. :P

The only thing I'd do is regem absolutely everything to +30 Stamina and change the Expertise / Stamina gem in your Belt to Dodge / Stamina. I never gem Defense, if I'm ever short, which is rare, I enchant it on Chest and/or Shield.

Everything else is pristine, including your armory pose, shit is hot. <3

Pff...we just killed the lich king last night in a half pug with http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=We%C3%A8zi tanking right through most of the soul reapers...20% == the whole instance is easy as pie. Mmm. Pie.

Aha, will change the gems and enchant as needed, cheers.
    And I have to admit, I'm quite satisfied with the pose on the armory. :P

Hmm, pie? Damn, now you've gone and made me hungry! But cheers, I will give the bosses another glance and see if I can find myself a pug one of these days then.

Really appreciate all the help. Thanks a lot.

Cut out the spellpower food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Already have, I just used up what I had on my other char due to low gold.
    But cheers, will update the first post with the food that I'm using now, forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutpaper View Post
    Already have, I just used up what I had on my other char due to low gold.
    But cheers, will update the first post with the food that I'm using now, forgot about that.
    Was just checking since no one had addressed it in subsequent posts. Go make some money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Ah, cheers, I appreciate the tip. And I'm working on it, but had some higher priorities than food at the time.

First of all I just want to say sorry for double posting, but I figured it would be better to use the topic I made a while ago than to create a new one. So, I apologize for the not so shameless bump.

id like to point out that with the 15 resil chant you have, the def cap is actually 536, you may be able to use the 264 gun

With the 25%-30% buff you'll be fine. I've tanked the first 6 bosses with the 25% buff and my GS was 4.9k and I had 37k hp unbuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    With the 25%-30% buff you'll be fine. I've tanked the first 6 bosses with the 25% buff and my GS was 4.9k and I had 37k hp unbuffed.
    ^ what he said.

when ICC first came out I had about 38k hp unbuffed and tanked everything up to sindragosa as progression content, well by the time we got to sindragosa I obviously had better gear from farming the other bosses, but even without any % icc buff I was more than capable of tanking and surviving the content.

Thanks for the answers.

As for the defense, dgen already tipped me off about it in one of the posts above, but would it be worth changing out one of the +30 Stamina gems for a +10 Defense Rating / +15 Stamina gem? If I equip the gun instead of the thrown weapon it takes me down to 534 defense.
    Anyway, I will try to give icc10 a go.

I actually tried to get into a group last night, but was told I lacked hit rating and expertise.. Oh well.

You are better off not going then. anyone who believes tanks are required to have hit and expertise, to the point of turning them down from a run, is ignorant.

Ive tanked most of toc (while it was relevant) with 20 hit and 24 expertise. and managed to stay above in threat the entire time.

Hmm, yeah, exactly what I was thinking. But figured I would mention it here and get someone elses opinion about it as well. Better safe than sorry, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutpaper View Post
    Thanks for the answers.

As for the defense, dgen already tipped me off about it in one of the posts above, but would it be worth changing out one of the +30 Stamina gems for a +10 Defense Rating / +15 Stamina gem? If I equip the gun instead of the thrown weapon it takes me down to 534 defense.
    Anyway, I will try to give icc10 a go.

I actually tried to get into a group last night, but was told I lacked hit rating and expertise.. Oh well.
    IMO your gemming is inconsistent. My "rule" is that if the socket bonus is +9 Stam or higher, get it-if it isn't, gem stam. You missed a +12 stam on chest, but picked up a +6 on bracers. I prefer exp / stam over dodge / stam.

Your hit rating and expertise are fine - exp could go higher but don't lose sleep over it.
    ~Patch

+ Reply to Thread