+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holy Paladin FoL

Holy Paladin FoL

Just a quick question, is FoL style still valid in PVE?

Certainly, but under the same gearing conditions as it was before. And it's still only generally recommended for 25s if you have a Holy Light Paladin backing you up.

K but are you able to do it by yourself?

Yes, its still valid in pve. Does the job and does it well. I am a FOL pally and i do more overall healing/hps with less overhealing then 90% of the holy light pallys in ICC. I know healing meters dont mean much if everyone is still alive, but thats from what i have noticed. Try both and see what you like.

EDIT for above comment: yes u can, no problem at all.

Toxic can i have an armory link plz

and do you raid or tank heal toxic... Lulia may i also have an armory link?

Im pvp geared and spec'd...but here it is anyways, if i remember, ill log out tonight in my pve healing gear(which aint that crash hot)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&cn=Toxicacid

thanks but do u tank heal or raid heal?

Quote Originally Posted by pallyboi View Post
    and do you raid or tank heal toxic... Lulia may i also have an armory link?
    I beacon the tank, and heal who ever needs it...depends on the situation.

thanks

I'm in a Holy Light setup. I assume Toxic primarily heals 10 mans?

I heal whatever is needed. I have healed the first wing of ICC25 with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicacid View Post
    I heal whatever is needed. I have healed the first wing of ICC25 with no problem.
    With the 15% buff? I mean. It's possible to heal ICC 25 without a Holy Paladin in general, so, at that point, it doesnt matter if they're FoL or HL. There's just some fights where it will get really difficult without a Holy Paladin, especially a Holy Light-geared Paladin.

I definitely agree that you should go with what you're comfortable with. But setting up and healing as a Flash of Light Paladin in an effective manner is much more difficult than the other way around, and so is usually something that you do for a reason and not simply to "try it out".

It should be definitely possible to FoL heal normal ICC25 but once you step into the heroic realm things change a little. Not only there's the splash healing from HL glyph that helps to ease the strain on AoE heavy fights but bosses that hit like a truck. A truck riding on top of a train in the form of Sindragosa and LK especially for that matter (how I like frost breath / soul reaper accompanied by 30-40k melee swings).

I made the transition to HL a long time ago and never looked back because there's nobody stopping you to spam 1 second flashes in HL gear. They won't have the same impact as being in spell gear but if you're switching to FoL there's not that much damage thrown around anyway.

Do'able?: Certainly
    Do'able orly?: Only with backing raidsetup and a lot of gearing effort

Cheers!
    skaggi

The one problem you have with the FOL set-up is that you neglect a lot of the stats on your gear as your sole interest is spellpower, with perhaps crit being a nice extra. Haste and MP5 are irrelevant and intellect really isn't of much interest either. That's a lot of wasted stats that could be put to better use in a Holy Light build.

The other problem that you actually probably hurt your raid healing ability, as you no longer benefit from the Holy Light splash healing you get from glyph of holy light. Whilst sometimes it's of little benefit on ther occassions, such as fights like fester gut, the bonus heal is really quite noticeable.

I actually am curious about this. I play a disc priest, and a holy pally is the only healing class I have never played. We recently got a new holy pally in our guild(holy pallies are so rare for us, we went 7/12 in heroic 25 with no holy pally and 11/12 in heroic 10 with no holy pally) and he is gemmed pure intellect with intellect trinkets, and the divine sac(prot) build. All seems good right? Except he claims he is a FoL pally and thats primarly what he uses due to less overheal. Now I know with the 15% buff its kind of LOL anyway but I am concerned when we get to the harder hard modes(HAI2U Sindy!) he won't be able to do this. He does not have any hardmode experience and when we did 10 normal LK last night I had to spend a lot of time on the tank he was healing(these are tanks in 25 man normal and heroic gear tanking 10 normal LK) because they very frequently dipped VERY low, and even had a few tank deaths to lack of heals.

My main concern is this guy is a good friend of a lot of the veteran raiders and officers and they seem to think he is amazing. I will admit he is the best holy pally we have seen in some time, but we haven't had much luck with them in the first place. His HPS(I know healing meters are retarded) on LK were around 3k. Is FoL viable in 25 heroic as the only holy pally, esp when gemming pure intellect?

This thread is pretty interesting. I had a holy paladin as a main back in naxx 25 days which stacked haste and spellpower. I never tank healed besides patchwerk and i usually toped heals pretty easy with FoL. I've been considering reviving that toon for my guilds icc10 since we lack skilled healers and was wondering about a FoL spec. Although i am discouraged since we only do 10 mans. But i don't really use healing assignments. I heal everyone that dies with my beacon on the tank. Doing what the situation calls for, whether it be a FoL, holy light or holy shock.

Not sure if it would work out in our 10 mans but i plan on trying it with him later this week on marrowgar atleast. Although i am still in my t7.5 from naxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    I actually am curious about this. I play a disc priest, and a holy pally is the only healing class I have never played. We recently got a new holy pally in our guild(holy pallies are so rare for us, we went 7/12 in heroic 25 with no holy pally and 11/12 in heroic 10 with no holy pally) and he is gemmed pure intellect with intellect trinkets, and the divine sac(prot) build. All seems good right? Except he claims he is a FoL pally and thats primarly what he uses due to less overheal. Now I know with the 15% buff its kind of LOL anyway but I am concerned when we get to the harder hard modes(HAI2U Sindy!) he won't be able to do this. He does not have any hardmode experience and when we did 10 normal LK last night I had to spend a lot of time on the tank he was healing(these are tanks in 25 man normal and heroic gear tanking 10 normal LK) because they very frequently dipped VERY low, and even had a few tank deaths to lack of heals.

My main concern is this guy is a good friend of a lot of the veteran raiders and officers and they seem to think he is amazing. I will admit he is the best holy pally we have seen in some time, but we haven't had much luck with them in the first place. His HPS(I know healing meters are retarded) on LK were around 3k. Is FoL viable in 25 heroic as the only holy pally, esp when gemming pure intellect?
    Can I have his armory link?

I have used both the Fol and holy light builds and done successful healing with both. What I find works best is to build for the holy light spec and flash heal most raid encounters. By doing this you get the benefits of fast heals and less overhealing and in turn if you need to spam Holy light you can. Your flash heals arent doing as much healing in the holy light build but are still very fast and very effective mine typically do about 4-6k without a crit and 10-12k with crit.

Point 1: It should be noted that FoL and HL are different in builds and playstyle, but being FoL does not mean you blindly spam FoL. And being in a HL build does not mean you blindly spam HL. This is why the HL is more flexible than FoL. Because HL can more easily switch between FoL and HL spam as needed, whereas FoL cannot. The FoLs are smaller in the HL build, but not by enough to make them useless, or for the FoL build to be able to output on an equal level with a HL spam during intense damage periods. This means that, while FoL pallies can do well, they simply cannot compete with a good HL paladin during heavy raid or tank damage. It's likely that if you see an FoL pally doing better, it's because they're with an HL pally in the first place, which gives them room for their niche, and/or the HL pally isn't as good of a player as the FoL pally.

Point 2: Overhealing is a part of the current healing system in WoW. While you shouldn't spam HL when no damage is going out, there's no reason to be afraid of 30-40% overheal. The point is that it's better to bring someone back to full health and out of the danger zone. Holy Light does this faster and better than Flash of Light in the majority of circumstances. It does it with some overheal, but overheal isn't going to hurt you or anyone else. It's waste, it's inefficient, and if you're running out of mana it means you might need to tone down on the healing a little. But if people are staying alive and you're not running OOM, there's absolutely no reason to worry about overheal. The fact of the matter is that, in the current raid environment. Someone can feasibly drop from almost full health to dead very quickly. If your FoL brings them to almost but not quite full, you often risk them dying before you can finish. HL prevents that risk.

Point 3: FoL is certainly viable. It takes more skill, knowledge and know-how, but it's doable. The main problem with doing FoL without a HL pally to back you up is in a progression environment. Since this site is geared to helping a lot of people, it caters to crowds who are working on top-end progression and those that aren't. For those that are, I would not likely recommend going FoL without knowing it will work well with another Holy Paladin using an HL setup.

+ Reply to Thread