+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Tank's need your help

Pally Tank's need your help

The main problems I'm having is my Stam score is very low.. Im at 52 Frost trinkets and i plan on getting the trinket... been farming toc reg for the 126+ Stam but still no luck.. My guild that I'm in runs 10mans and I seem to do fine but I know I can do better.. so if you see something that is upgradeable and in my reach please let me know or what to aim for.. I like my spec for the most part I don't understand why PTanks get Seal of Command.. But any tips would be greatly appreciated :]
    Also, If you know of any good macro's
    armory link:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ollow&cn=Kisko
    Last edited by Kisko; 05-22-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: put my armory link inside

Your stamina is low because you're running dual avoidance trinkets, but you've already pointed out where to get viable stamina replacements. The Triumph badge armour trinket is also worth buying.

Replace that strength/def gem in your helm with 10 Agi/15 Stam. Replace 16 defense on your shield with 22 agi or 225 armour. Replace 22 defense on chest with +275 health. Enchant your bracers (40 stamina). Enchant your shield (18 stamina). Consider replacing Blade Ward with Accuracy (for threat; your current weapon is a poor threat option anyway) or Mongoose. Replace Armsman on your gloves with 20 agility or 18 stamina.

Paladins spec into SoC because it's useful in heroics, on trash and on fights which involve picking up adds. You can spare the point from Spiritual Attunement, because you only need 1/2 SA to not run out of mana in raids. You should strongly consider moving points from Conviction into Vindication - an AP debuff on the boss is extremely powerful at reducing incoming damage and has no opportunity cost for you to put up since it's applied automatically. You don't need Glyph of ShoR; Glyph of Seal of Vengeance is a huge threat gain and is mandatory, particularly at your current level of expertise.

Thank you so much for your help :] I will definatly be working towards that.. Also I found macro's do you still recommend the 6868 for threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    Paladins spec into SoC because it's useful in heroics, on trash and on fights which involve picking up adds. You can spare the point from Spiritual Attunement, because you only need 1/2 SA to not run out of mana in raids. You should strongly consider moving points from Conviction into Vindication - an AP debuff on the boss is extremely powerful at reducing incoming damage and has no opportunity cost for you to put up since it's applied automatically. You don't need Glyph of ShoR; Glyph of Seal of Vengeance is a huge threat gain and is mandatory, particularly at your current level of expertise.
    In addition to moving 2 points from Conviction to Vindication, moving the 3 remaining points to Crusade will provide generally better damage output and therefore threat. Crusade is better when fighting Humanoids, Elementals, Demons, and Undead. Conviction is better against other target types. Most dungeon and raid mobs fall into the "Crusade is better" category.

Places where conviction is better at for at least part of the instance: AN (the whole place), OK (through the first boss, and the fungus area), a few pulls in Nexus, Occulus (but only through the 1st boss),CoS (only inside the Inn), DtK(King dread), Gundrak(snake area), ToCr(Northrend beasts and Anub).

Everywhere else, you are better off with Crusade.

I completely missed the missing Crusade (that'll teach me to go drinking before giving advice!) - thanks Zyffyr.

Your rotation is 969, but I wouldn't use macros for it. There's a great deal of discussion on the pros/cons on the use of macroing your threat rotation (with modifiers to control what you cast if you have to break rotation for whatever reason) over at maintankadin, but I think it's important to understand your rotation and its constituent abilities before even thinking about macroing it. 969 is the rotation you use to maximise single target threat without sacrificing Holy Shield or Judgement (and JotJ) uptime - that means you use it nearly all of the time on raid bosses, but not necessarily all of the time elsewhere. I think there's a danger when starting out on missing some of the nuances of what abilities you should be using and when if you throw them all into 1 or 2 /castsequence macros.

I agree With the 969 I found it hard to tank multiple mobs because i usually cast Avenger shield than lay conc down and begin my rotation, with 969 my last 9 would be conc so I had quite a few problems my 6's seem okay along with my 9's but i just removed conc out so it's just holy shield / judge of wis.

Special thanks to everyone who posted you've guys helped me tremendously and I'm greatly appreciative

Also you mentioned about macro's, Since u asked ill post the ones i use and explain what they do.

Code:
    #showtooltip hand of protection
    /cast [target=Mouseover] hand of protection
    This is a Mouseover macro for Hand of Protection, useful for fights such as Saurfang for the blood boil.

Code:
    #showtooltip hand of sacrifice
    /cast [target=mousover] hand of sacrifice
    This is a Mouseover Macro for Hand of Sacrifice, useful when your not taking damage to mitigate some damage towards you.

Code:
    #showtooltip divine protection
    /cast divine protection
    /use 14
    /use 13
    This casts Divine Protection and uses both my trinkets (if they are usable)

Code:
    #showtooltip hand of salvation
    /cast [target=Mouseover] hand of salvation
    Mouseover Macro for Hand of Salvation.

Code:
    #show Divine Sacrifice
    /cancelaura Divine Sacrifice
    /cast [target=player]Divine Sacrifice
    Since Divine Sacrifice became party wide instead of raid wise it lost its value greatly. However Divine Guardian (the 20% reduced damage buff) you get from casting it is still Raid wide. I use this macro for the 20% reduced damage which can act as a extremely useful cooldown for yourself when divine protection is on cooldown, or for your raid during times of increased raid wide damage (i.e. pungent blight during festergut or bloodbolt whirl during BQL). If the macro is hit twice the Damage isnt transferred to you so you dont take any extra damage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyffyr View Post
    In addition to moving 2 points from Conviction to Vindication, moving the 3 remaining points to Crusade will provide generally better damage output and therefore threat. Crusade is better when fighting Humanoids, Elementals, Demons, and Undead. Conviction is better against other target types. Most dungeon and raid mobs fall into the "Crusade is better" category.

Places where conviction is better at for at least part of the instance: AN (the whole place), OK (through the first boss, and the fungus area), a few pulls in Nexus, Occulus (but only through the 1st boss),CoS (only inside the Inn), DtK(King dread), Gundrak(snake area), ToCr(Northrend beasts and Anub).

Everywhere else, you are better off with Crusade.
    Just a note; the alternative threat talent to Crusade when not fighting DUH mobs (demons, humanoids, undead, and elementals) is SotP, not Conviction. Conviction is currently our lowest threat producing talent point for point.

Please see: Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Just a note; the alternative threat talent to Crusade when not fighting DUH mobs (demons, humanoids, undead, and elementals) is SotP, not Conviction. Conviction is currently our lowest threat producing talent point for point.
    Quite true, I was just covering the rationale for moving the points currently in Conviction over.

If you reached crusade u generally wont have enough points leftover to put anywhere else if your prot talents are correct. Conviction can be used as filler, just to reach crusade but most people take Vindiction, Pursuit of Justice and Seal of Command

Quote Originally Posted by Kisko View Post
    I agree With the 969 I found it hard to tank multiple mobs because i usually cast Avenger shield than lay conc down and begin my rotation, with 969 my last 9 would be conc so I had quite a few problems my 6's seem okay along with my 9's but i just removed conc out so it's just holy shield / judge of wis.
    969 doesn't dictate whether Conc would be first, last or otherwise - in fact, the beauty of it is that it is a rotation in the true sense of the word so over time all of your abilities have the same uptime.

If you like to pull with AS and lay a Conc into the mobs' intended tanking area (I use this method myself on AoE trashpacks) then your 9s simply start with Conc and the remainder of your 9s follow on from there. Many tanks like to begin with Holy Shield to get the buff up from the beginning.

As long as you are using a 9 followed by a 6 followed by a 9 on loop, the order of the 9s and 6s makes no difference at all over the length of the encounter. What you start with is entirely personal preference and style.

So to reiterate - you said you like to use Conc first so a nice 969 for you might be:

Conc > HotR > HS > ShoR > Judge > HotR > Conc > ShoR > HS > HotR > Judge > ShoR

In terms of the total threat you put out over the course of the fight, the above rotation will yield pretty much exactly the same as:

HS > ShoR > Conc > HotR > Judge > ShoR > HS > HotR > Conc > ShoR > Judge > HotR

The orders are completely different but because it "rotates" both are just as valid as one another so if it feels natrual to you to use Conc on the pull then simply adjust the 969 you've been taught to one that begins with Conc

Ah thank you Mert/Davih for that it makes my job much more easier :]

+ Reply to Thread