+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Tanking QQ

DK Tanking QQ

Oh Gawd please help me ...

I am a new DK tank, and for some odd reason completely unknown to me; I suck at it.
    No matter how hard I try it seems, I have the worst problems holding aggro on large groups everywhere except ICC. Which seems ... backwards?

My current rotation for group tanking is Death and Decay, Howling Blast, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Pestilence, and after that I just hit whatever I can use; Rune Strike when it procs, and either Howling Blast or Blood Boil, whichever is up.

So ... what exactly am I doing wrong?

Please look up my character on whatever site you use as well. I am not sure if my stats are what is causing this or not. And don't make fun of my block items ... or my cloak. It's all I have

Also, does dodge rating really have that much value in ICC, due to the Chill of the Throne debuff, or does that make higher dodge that much more important ... ?

Need a link to your armory so we can go over your spec/gear/etc.
    We are unable to look up your character for a few reasons.
    1) Name
    2) Server
    3) Easier to click a link...

As to rotation a good opener for a Frost Tank is to D&D, Howling Blast, Blood Boil, yes it will put all your runes on CD but it does get the attention of everything that you hit. Also marking mobs will probably help you.
    In general I use something along the lines of for AoE: Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Pestilence, Blood Boil, Howling Blast, Frost Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Horn of Winter, Frost Strike
    And the following for Single: Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Horn of Winter, Frost Strike

So you are Tanking in ICC10/25 and wearing Block Gear?!?!? or do you mean the ICC Instances?

Oh no, just 10 man ICC trash for reputation...no bosses yet. I would probably get 1 shotted ...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&gn=Nex+Liberi

You've got major problems all over the place.

First, fix your spec. You're dual-wielding without Threat of Thassarian -- that's very bad. You're missing Bladed Armor -- that's very bad. You're missing Killing Machine -- that's not as bad, but you're leaving a lot of threat on the table.

Next, you're using fast tank weapons, which are inherently weak on threat. You want something like Nighttime, Black Icicle, or Ghoulslicer.

Finally, you need to dump the defense gems and run with Rune of the Nerubian Carapace on both hands.

There are other nitpicks, but if you fixed those issues you'd have a fighting chance.
    Last edited by jafager; 05-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.

If I dump the defense gems I fall below my defense cap ... and I assume Rune of the Nerubian Carapace is newish? My DK collected dust for a year I wasn't aware there were new runes. And about weapons ... I have been searching, just haven't seen anything drop yet.

Okay first off we will touch Spec for DW Frost Tanking is what I consider to be the minimum for a DW Tank. You will have 3 points left. Put them into Scent of Blood (better Runic Power generation) or in Unholy in either Epidemic or Morbidity (longer diseases or shorter D&D Cooldown).
    Glyphs: I suggest the following combo, which you almost have.
    Icy Touch or Howling Blast
    Frost Strike or Rune Strike
    Obliterate (mandatory for any Frost DK).

Okay onto your gear.

Helm - Enchant it with the Argent Crusade enchant, and change your gem. Put Def/Stam or Hit/Stam gem in there, if you aren't going to gem for socket bonus, you gem only Stamina. And with a +12 socket bonus you want to gem for the bonus.

Neck - get the tanking neck from Conquest Emblems (or try for the one from Heroic HoR)

Shoulders - gem with Hit/Stam or Def/Stam, enchant it with either the tank shoulder enchant from Sons of Hodir or the stam/resilience enchant from honor.

Cloak - that is okay, look to Valor Emblems or Reg HoR or Frost Emblems for your upgrade.

Chest - change your gems a bit. Expertise/Stam, Stam, and Hit/Stam or Def/Stam, match the sockets. Again if you aren't going to match sockets, gem nothing but Stamina. Enchant with 275 Health unless doing so would put you below 540 Defense.

Bracers - Enchant with 40 Stamina and gem with Hit/Stam or Def/Stam.

Gloves - Enchant wtih Expertise and gem with Expertise/Stam.

Belt - get the tanking belt from Conquest Emblems or find a Blacksmith to make you the belt from Ulduar.

Legs - gem with Stamina. put Frosthide Leg Armor on that.

Boots - enchant is okay though Tuskarr's Vitality is "better" because of improved run speed.

Rings - enchanted, good.

Trinkets - get rid of the dodge trinket and get the Glyph from Triumph emblems, or get Essence of Gossamer from H AN or spend Frost to get the Key. However I would suggest spending the Frost on the Cloak first.

Weapons - you want Rune of the Nerubian Carapace on both weapons.
    Peacekeeper Blade - gem with Def/Stam or Hit/Stam.

GEMS:
    Yellow Sockets: Make sure you stay Def capped at 540, do Def/Stam to stay there. As a Draenei you are "okay" on Hit Rating. I personally go for the full 8% regardless of talents/racials, but I like threat stats.

Blue Sockets: Stamina nothing else.

Red Sockets: Expertise/Stam til 26 Expertise. As a DW tank, expertise imo is more important than other tanks. After you get to 26 Expertise you can do Dodge/Stam.

The suggestions are only if you are going to gem for the socket bonus. If you are not going to gem for the socket bonus then you always gem Stamina.

You are at 572 Defense atm, you are well over the defense cap, so you can exchange those Hit or Def gems for Def/Stam or Hit/Stam, just keep an eye on your defense as you change them out.

Weapons to use: Tanking Weapons or Slow DPS weapons.
    This is a much debated issue.
    If you are not having threat issues, go with Tanking weapons. If you are having threat issues, go with Slow DPS weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    If I dump the defense gems I fall below my defense cap ... and I assume Rune of the Nerubian Carapace is newish? My DK collected dust for a year I wasn't aware there were new runes. And about weapons ... I have been searching, just haven't seen anything drop yet.
    Rune of the Nerubian Carapace is basically Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle for one-handed weapons. It provides additional stamina and a very very large chunk of defense skill -- it will easily cover the missing gems.

Make sure you're not waiting around for slow weapons with tank stats -- there aren't any to speak of. Just grab the first slow DPS weapons you can get your hands on. H ToC has one as well, and you can use the Champion's Seals to buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jafager View Post
    Make sure you're not waiting around for slow weapons with tank stats -- there aren't any to speak of. Just grab the first slow DPS weapons you can get your hands on. H ToC has one as well, and you can use the Champion's Seals to buy another one.
    Burnished Quel'Serrar is pretty nice, although it is hard to get your hands on.

As for the talents, Morbidity, Unholy Command, and Merciless Combat are a no-no. Bladed Armor, Killing Machine, Epidemic, and Scent of Blood would be much more usefull. You might even want to take points out of Icy Talons and Improved Icy Talons to get those. They do make life much easier.

You really need more exp (more specifically, 26 exp or the soft cap), if you want to tank anything other than heroics and ICC. Even in heroics low expertise will cause many healers to hate you very, very badly. I once queued in a random in my dps gear and the healer left instantly, before I could even change gear or spec. Which gives you the idea.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

Quote Originally Posted by Winterburn View Post
    I once queued in a random in my dps gear and the healer left instantly, before I could even change gear or spec. Which gives you the idea.
    Some people are complete jerks when it comes to seeing a tank with less than 40k health, especially if their health is in the 25-30k range... I know I am a bit leery, but we have all started there at one time or another, at least those of us with "old" tanks.

+ Reply to Thread