Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Halion Encounter Guide [Live]

Weazl! You have the most beautiful UI I have seen to date =) Fantastic video - many thanks

During phase 3, will Halion enrage if there isnt anybody in the twilight realm?

if not, is there a mechanic that prevents everyone from ditching the twilight realm, and staying in the physical realm?

It seems like the coropreality would result in greatly reduced damage in the physical realm, and twilight Halion could run around his twilight realm.

Quote Originally Posted by volitans View Post
    During phase 3, will Halion enrage if there isnt anybody in the twilight realm?

if not, is there a mechanic that prevents everyone from ditching the twilight realm, and staying in the physical realm?

It seems like the coropreality would result in greatly reduced damage in the physical realm, and twilight Halion could run around his twilight realm.
    No, Halion will just sit there if there is no one to aggro in the twilight realm [I'm 98% sure of this]. However, the corporeality buff not only reduces damage done, but also damage received, to the point where he will take no damage in the physical realm.

At that time, you will have to send people into the twilight realm, but since you slid the corporeality buff completely in one direction, Halion will now be doing 400% more damage in the twilight realm [while taking 200% increased damage]. Basically, this transition will cause a wipe and is no faster than balancing your DPS between two realms.

Furthermore, since the corporeality mechanic slides on ratio, there is no way to "burn him down" faster than the buff slides.

Finally, give Blizzard a little more credit. They don't usually include core fight mechanics that can just be ignored. =P

As an update, I am still not convinced that Halion will have a tailswipe or a cleave in the final live version of the fight. Some sources have reported this, but I have seen several recent captures that suggest the opposite.

Until I can get definitive proof, I can only suggest avoiding the tail region for your first attempts. You should be avoiding the head anyways because of the breath attacks.

However, even if these abilities are implemented, it wouldn't change the strategy I outlined.

UPDATE! Included Tail Lash to Halion's abilities.

EDIT: Cleave confirmed and added.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 06-29-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Can you comment on the trash/minibosses prior to Halion?

What major abilities do they have that you watch out for? Do they drop anything? Can you skip them ala Sartharion?

You have to kill them in order to summon Halion, so no they cannot be skipped. For trash/miniboss major abilities, I suggest watching the video attached at the end of the guide. Everything you need to know is more or less covered there.

What's required to enable hard-mode of this encounter?

a raidleader who knows how to switch on 25man-heroic
    German guy, speaking bad english :/

10-man

Having completed the encounter on 10-man, some observations...

Warrior Tank / Pally OT
    Druid/Shammy/Disc Priest Heals (we brought three because we didn't know what to expect... most likely able to be done with just 2 [REMEMBER: This is 10-man Regular] ... but then again, this fight is NOT a DPS race, so its up to whatever makes the raid leads the most comfortable)
    2 Mages / Hunter / Warlock / Shadow Priest (Rogue added later after Mage DC'd off both WoW and vent)

10 Man Information:

--"Spontaneous Human[oid] Combustion" in melee
    Our raid was ranged heavy for the fight. That being said, we still had combustion cast occasionally on people in melee range (though never the tank - I'm not saying it can't happen, just saying we didn't see it). It was still cast on ranged more often than not, usually one of the top 2 DPS and occasionally a healer... don't know if it was just RNG, or perhaps maybe the BQL first bite/threat mechanic was snuck in there somehow.

--P2 Tank/Heal not "Left Behind"
    We left a Tank and Healer out during P2, as suggested... but Halion never made an appearance in the top (physical/fire) chamber during P2. After the 2nd try we just put the two of them through the portal with no noticeable difference (enrage, buff, or debuff-wise) in the inner shadow chamber. Though, having the extra heal did help with incidental damages as we were still learning he fight. We just made sure the Physical realm tank and healer jumped back through FIRST to avoid any 'mishaps' while transitioning into P3.

--"Run, Forrest!"
    The twin orbs rotating around the outside edge of the twilight chamber moved at just under running speed, so you should have no problem moving with them or outrunning them as needed. Instead of finding a good spot to 'stand', we just rotated/strafed with the orbs the whole time (Tank ahead of the orb, Raid just behind it - and we just rotated around/past the shadow combustions on the ground), that way noone was 'surprised' to be in the path of "The Laser"™

--"We HAVE the Technology..."
    The Objective in P3 is to equally 'push' him [damage him] out of both realms equally and in a controlled manner - its definitely NOT a DPS race. As far the comment asking "Why not just stack everyone in the same chamber?". There is a raid emote that says along the lines "Halion is not being pushed from the [Twilight/Physical] realm and begins to regenerate" at which point he begins to regenerate 500k/sec for each half that is not being damaged sufficiently. When one floor would wipe, we would see 500k/sec... once both floors wiped and nothing left but the tank and no DPS on the remaining floor, we would see 1M / sec. I did not notice if the regeneration past the 50% or 75% mark caused him to 'revert' to a previous phase of the fight or not as we never saw it regenerate long enough to come back up to 50% or 75% - by the time he got to the point where one floor was dead, we called for wipes, and Halion took care of the rest in very short order. So if your 10-man group can squeeze out 500k/1M RaidDPS, by all means, feel free to stack all in one chamber :-p

--"Workin' My Way Back to You, Babe..."

The pair of portals that opened up during P3 that allowed people to move from the twilight realm to the physical realm stayed open and stationary for the remainder of the fight, and even allowed for travel back to the twilight realm. I imagine that will be handy if something catastrophic were to happen to a number of DPS, or some healers, or the tank in one realm or another.

--"I would do anything for love...[but I won't melee]"
    Had we a more balanced Ranged/Melee ratio, we would have planned on melee staying in the twilight chamber and ranged move back out to the physical realm, since its 'easier' for melee to maintain higher DPS while on the move than it is for ranged. Instead, we just did a simple G1 and G2 split with the extra heal remaining in the Twilight realm.

--"In conclusion, Ladies and Germs..."
    Was it the best stacked group make-up or the best execution... of course not. BUT... We still had all 10 people alive (with a BR to spare) when we finally killed him after a few attempts. Just goes to show that even with a non-optimal group makeup, this fight will reward raids who 'bring the player' and not just the 6.5k GS character.

Hope this helps fill in some of the gaps...
    Last edited by Mckyrrosi; 06-30-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Pretty funny how grounding totems absorb combustions and consumptions, having 4/5 shamans negate everything he does minus the laser orb thingy in the shadow realm.

damage output on heroic is insane, 30-38k melee swings and 30-40k breathes, without the ICC buff.
    Last edited by gacktt; 06-30-2010 at 07:05 AM.

So far, I can't seem to find any logs of heroic Halion 25man kills, or even attempts. I'm just wondering how much of the damage the main tank takes is physical and about how hard does dude hit? Parry haste like Sindragosa, or no? I'm sure I'll find out later tonight, but I wanna know ahead of time.

EDIT: Lol....I missed that very last post before mine. Sorry.

But YAY for hard-hitting bosses. Always my favorite type. My gear choices actually matter!
    Last edited by Dragaan; 06-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.

I may add in that players who get ressurected in combat ends up in the fiery realm and have to portal back to the twillight if they want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    So far, I can't seem to find any logs of heroic Halion 25man kills, or even attempts. I'm just wondering how much of the damage the main tank takes is physical and about how hard does dude hit? Parry haste like Sindragosa, or no? I'm sure I'll find out later tonight, but I wanna know ahead of time.

EDIT: Lol....I missed that very last post before mine. Sorry.

But YAY for hard-hitting bosses. Always my favorite type. My gear choices actually matter!

I'm pretty sure he parry hastes. Everytime I get parried he seems to auto attack real fast. His tank damage output is slightly superior to sindragosa 25H(minus the zone buff).

so my guild tried to take down the 25 encounter today, got him to 3% before wiping on best attempt, physical realm isn't too tough but the twilight realm is quite tricky. we managed to get the movement down for the beam but the trouble is the healing, because of the ammount of movement we have to do in the twilight realm it becomes hard for the healers to put in alot of healing on the tank.

basically to people who have beaten this boss what tips can you give for healing in the twilight realm?

Take a look at the graphics on the guide. If you have good awareness, you can plant yourself for quite a bit of time. Otherwise its cast, strafe, cast, strafe [if you do not have a wealth of ICs that is].

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    basically to people who have beaten this boss what tips can you give for healing in the twilight realm?
    One word...

Druid

Since the Twilight realm requires a fair amount of constant movement (possibly less, depending on your strat), and healing classes with instant or near instant heals (Resto druid, Disc priest, any others?) would be best suited for the twilight realm.

TBH i healed 10man RS on my Pally yesterday and i found the movement requirements weren't to bad. I certianly wasn't constantly strafing.

Stand still until you see the beam warning. Move so you well out the way of the beam and its 10sec path. Stand still and continue healing. Basically you only really have to move for say 3-5 seconds every 30.

Parry Haste is probably a mechanic they 'forgot' to disable?

Na, they probably wanted the 70k gibs without any zone buffs as part of the encounter like in sindragosa.