+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Tank need a rotation

DK Tank need a rotation

I've got a DK OS but I believe I'm not pulling enough threat and that my talents may be wrong any advice on a good Frost rotation as well as advice on whether or not my talents are set correctly would be appreciated.

My WoW armory link is: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ammer&cn=Gbldk

Threat of Thassarian is useless to you, it a DW talent. Also for 2H Frost it is usually advised to get Improved Icy Talons.
    Toss out the Death & Decay glyph for either Icy Touch or Howling Blast.

as a side note, to me some of your gear/gem choices for your dps set seem a bit strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Threat of Thassarian is useless to you, it a DW talent. Also for 2H Frost it is usually advised to get Improved Icy Talons.
    Toss out the Death & Decay glyph for either Icy Touch or Howling Blast.

as a side note, to me some of your gear/gem choices for your dps set seem a bit strange to me.
    Well I have been thinking about switching to DW since I've been wanting to use Rune Strike. I will look into the glyphs. I would like to know what gear and gem choices seem strange. also if you have a frost tank DK I'd love to take a look at his/her talent tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkx1 View Post
    Well I have been thinking about switching to DW since I've been wanting to use Rune Strike. I will look into the glyphs. I would like to know what gear and gem choices seem strange. also if you have a frost tank DK I'd love to take a look at his/her talent tree.
    I no longer have a Frost Tank spec, its now my dps spec lol. But I do still tank with it depending on what is happening... Have enough gear that for trash pulls or randoms I don't need a tank spec anymore.

However I consider the THIS to the be the bare minimum for a DW Frost Tank.
    You have 3 points to spare, more points into Scent of Blood will help with Runic Power, more points into Unholy will help with things like disease duration or lowering the cooldown on Death & Decay.
    Glyphs:
    Oblit is a MUST
    Icy Touch or Howling Blast
    Frost Strike or Rune Strike

Thank you for that talent set now I just need a rotation to use with it if I could get some help I use IT > PS > Pest > DS > BS > Repeat then I use HB whenever on CD.

I've made the switch to tanking on my DK, going DW frost. You can check out my armory here. Not the greatest gear, but I've gone from struggling in heroics to tanking in ICC10 in just a couple weeks.

As for rotation, I rarely bother with plague strike and pestilence on trash. Glyphed Howling blast, DnD, and Blood Boil is generally enough, as long as you keep an eye out for runners when a DPS gets on mob you're not on. Oblit when HB is still on CD, to try and proc a free HB.

For bosses, I Oblit with FU pairs and death runes when I don't need to put diseases back up, and only HB when Oblit procs a free one. Blood Strike with blood runes to convert to death runes for more Oblits, Frost strike only when runic power is high as you don't want to lock out a potential Rune Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkx1 View Post
    Thank you for that talent set now I just need a rotation to use with it if I could get some help I use IT > PS > Pest > DS > BS > Repeat then I use HB whenever on CD.
    Might need to adjust to make it work for you, note I do not spam Rune Strike (never had threat issues), I favored Frost Strike over Rune Strike because I could Always Frost Strike, so worked it is worked into my rotation on the amount of Runic Power I have stored up. So will need to adjust if you are going to use Rune Strike constantly.
    AoE: Open with D&D, HB, Boil then go into (or D&D then rotation) IT, PS, Pest, Boil, HB, FS, Ob, FS, IT, PS, Horn, FS

Single/Boss: IT, PS, BS, BS, Ob, FS, Ob, FS, IT, PS, Horn, FS

My blood spec does spam Rune Strike constantly though.

If we're talking single target threat (bosses) I doubt there is any other class/spec beating a frost dk atm. I respecced blood a few weeks ago (but after the last patch) so dont remember the exact rotation but but some extra threat, just spam as many ITs as you can, then try to convert some runes to death runes and then spam more IT. I remember peaking at 30k TPS as frost in ICC and without much problems staying stable above 20k and as blood today I am nowhere close. I did play a 2H frost spec though which seems less and less common these days.

Spamming Icy Touch will not be optimal in most cases. Yes, your threat will be insane. However, your dps will plummet. You will want to use an actual rotation using more of your abilities based on the situation. Threat should still be more than sufficient and your dps will be much better. Personally, the rotation I use is probably not optimal but it has worked fine for me so far. I use a DW frost tanking build.

Single target:
    IT->PS->BS->BS->Oblit->FS

Multi-target:
    DnD->HB->BB HB->BB->BB->Oblit->FS

I have Rune Strike macro'ed to all my attacks.

Yeah totally agree was just talking about specific cases where you are about to be overtaken by one or several dps and the loss to your personal dps would most likely be lower than the raids loss of dps if they were to hold back. I tend to spam IT a bit in the begining of fights if I know I have some dpsers (mages and hunters maybe) who dont like to hold back. Gives me a nice threat lead to start with.

I can see that. If the initial aggro is frequently touchy or you know in a certain phase that dps are likely to overtake you, you can switch to spamming IT to stay ahead. Just make sure that you have a good eye on omen for when it is ok to go back to a more normal rotation.

+ Reply to Thread