+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paladin Tanking

Paladin Tanking

Hi everyone i just wanted to know if anyone has any theorys on my threat generation, the past six months i have played with every spec and swapping and changing out gear i can see as a prot pally to maintain my dmg mitigation/avoidance and without loosing to much stamina but increasing my threat generation to a point that dps can basically unload of the cuff. Im currently averaging 17-19k tps in icc25 raids without including spikes etc. Can anyone maybe help me to increase this threat generation somehow? any htoughts would be greatly appreciated as i have exhausted my final thoughts just this week.

Here is my armoury link

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Tankmebaby

Palidan rotation in WotLK revolves around five abilities - Consecration (8 second cooldown), Holy Shield (8 Second cooldown), Judgement (talented 9 second cooldown), Shield of Righteousness (6 second cooldown), and Hammer of the Righteous (6 second coodown).
    If you treat the three longer abilities as if they all have 9 second cooldowns (ie, delay HS and Consecration 1 second after they come off cooldown; this is viable since Holy Shield has a 10 second duration), it is possible to get your rotation going like this:

Holy Shield
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Judgement
    Shield of Righteousness
    Consecration
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Holy Shield
    Shield of Righteousness
    Judgement
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Consecration
    Shield of Righteousness

And so on. With the cooldowns and GCDs this creates a seamless rotation of the sets of 6 and 9 second abilities interleaved with one another. The order of the 6 or 9 second abilities is interchangeable within this rotation, hence it is easier to call it 9/6/9/6/9 than to list specific spells.
    With that linked you do not have both talents in improved judgements making the 969 impossible. SO as of right now you have empty Global cool downs meaning your threat production while high is not what it could be. Redo your talent tree to have both points in improved judgments. I hope this helps

Yes i know of the pally 9696 rotation and i use it to the tee, i usually start a fight off with wings,taunt and shield throw followed by shield of rightous which can burst my threat to over 150k by the time i get into melee range i just know i can pull more threat but i cant figure out how

My point is is that you have an empty Global cool down due to your spec.

Quote Originally Posted by tankmebaby View Post
    Im currently averaging 17-19k tps in icc25 raids without including spikes etc.
    TBH, I've been away on vacation since the 15% buff went into effect, but I doubt you're pulling that much sustained threat with at mere 5% boost. If so, I'd love to see your parses. If you're coming up with these numbers by glancing at omen, you're mentally filtering the lows and focusing on spikes, likely when TotT or MDs are up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinytankz View Post
    With that linked you do not have both talents in improved judgements making the 969 impossible. SO as of right now you have empty Global cool downs meaning your threat production while high is not what it could be. Redo your talent tree to have both points in improved judgments. I hope this helps
    You only need 1/2 in improved judgements to make 969 work. 2/2 is not necessary but many tanks take it to get deeper, they find points in benediction useless and improved BoM is provided elsewhere.

I have recorded almost all icc 25 encounters ive tanked in and my threat generation is a constant 17-19k tps i sometimes spike up to 25k+ but my complete average is 17-19k i am positive off it

I have recorded almost all icc 25 encounters ive tanked in and my threat generation is a constant 17-19k tps i sometimes spike up to 25k+ but my complete average is 17-19k i am positive off it
    Luckily, paladin threat is rather easy to figure out. It's physical damage x 1.43 + holy damage x 1.43 x 1.8.
    So to do 17k tps, you need to do roughly 6.6k dps. That's rather tough to manage on single target fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Im atm averaging 5.8k dps on boss fights so not sure then how i manage to pull 17k tps + continuously

Your spec and gear choices seem rather dps-heavy to me, but even then, doing 5.8 dps is a lot of dps for a tank. I'd love to see the logs, maybe I can find some pointers for improving my own threat.

Tricks misdirects and whatever paladins have as vigilance are probably contributing to your threat being so high.

Notice a trend of everyone asking "how is it that high?"? And you are asking how to get it higher!! My question is why does it need to be so high?

I would change your glyph of SoV since u have 28 exp. i would also switch to a slower 2.6 speed dps 1 hander with a threat enchant on it.

Im atm averaging 5.8k dps on boss fights so not sure then how i manage to pull 17k tps + continuously
    Throwing out numbers that very few prot pallies are capable of outside of gimmick fights like festergut sets unrealistic expectations for new tanks that are come here looking to see if how their perfomance stacks up. I hate to pull the "WoL or BS" card, but don't tell me, show me.

I must agree with Akeber here, I have trouble believing two aspects of your story.
    The first is that you manage to get that high tps, and the second is that your dpsers, appearantly, are doing over 17k dps.
    Yet despite these amazing accomplishments, you haven't killed the lich king yet.

Sorry mate, it just doesn't add up - I'd like to see some of those logs you are talking about.

I doubt he is averaging 5.8k dps on boss fights as a tank. And why would you want whispering fang skull and the ashen verdict strength ring in your tank set ?

increasing my threat generation to a point that dps can basically unload of the cuff.
    Tell your DPS to wait a few seconds before going all out. DPSers shouldn't be doing things to pull aggro at the beginning of the fight; those who do are just as bad as the scrubs who do 900 dps in heroics.

I use the trinket and dps ring for just that DPS!!! extra crit and ap procs really help boost my dps. They both proc quite often and in raid sitting at rouglhy 36% crit is always nice

That would explain why you haven't downed LK. Your job is to survive, not dps.

I have not had a chance to get to lich king due to server and faction change, my guild shall be going this coming saturday and my survival is plentyful, healers tell me they have no trouble keeping me up. Due to 4 part t10 i have another avoidance cd at my disposal aswell if required but to this date i usually last longer than most other tanks. My whole threat gen point has been to keep it in line with my dmg mitigation/avoidance so as not to make myself soft

Also come monday i shall post a screen printout of my average tps and dps for those who do not believe me but be aware i will be asking for apologies

+ Reply to Thread