+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When to taunt?

When to taunt?

I am a new dk tank and i haven't really tanked raids yet. I do not understand what makes me know when I should taunt off of the other tank or when I'm supposed to be taunted off of. I don't want to wipe 10,000 raids, it would ruin my GM status.

Toravon = 3 stacks of the debuff on the other tank (Archavon, when he "lunges" for whoever is tanking him, taunt). Same with Gormokk. Same with Lady Deathwhisper. Saurfang = As soon as the other tank gets the debuff. Festergut = Once the other tank gets to 8 or 9 stacks. Putricide = Each stack of the debuff in phase 3 only. That covers all the taunt fights in VOA, TOC and ICC. All else fails, taunt if the tanking tank dies.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 05-19-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

When the other tank says taunt, you taunt. Otherwise, you tank what you are supposed to tank.

Bosses that are taunt swaps: Gormok the Impaler (ToC), Lady Deathwhisper (ICC), Deathbringer Saurfang (ICC), Festergut (ICC), Prof. Putricide P3(ICC), Sindragosa (ICC), Possibly Lich King (Depending on strat), Toravon (thanks Dreador, forgot that one).

There are others in Ulduar and Naxx, but I kept the list to content you will likely be running regularily.

If you are assigned to adds, you taunt them if you need to as it is your job to tank them. If the other tank is supposed to be tanking adds and a healer is getting annihilated... probably could taunt the add at that point to save a healer but call it on vent.

Ideally, you never taunt the other tanks target unless you are asked to. Do not use taunt in your rotation either, as targets become taunt immune.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Study some encounter guides. If taunting is needed, they usually say when and why.

Generally speaking, a stacking debuff gets placed on the active tank, usually making it increasingly difficult to continue tanking (or in some other way bad for the tank to keep holding aggro) and at that point the other tank taunts.

There are some slight variations to this theme, but the principle remains the same.

The above info is all good but I will say that I (and every tank I have paired with) prefer to swap at 4 on Toravon. I'd also mention precious/stinky, usually around 5 stacks and after that as soon as you drop the debuff

Don't taunt, tell the MT to man up and take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Don't taunt, tell the MT to man up and take it.
    LOL I have been to 9 stacks in VoA with Toravon, Healers get upset...

to be honest just ask if u have a lvl 80 alt dps just payattention on fights for when to taunt or watch some of the amazing vids on this site for when tanks need to taunt from eachother tanking is by no means easy but is learnable when ur in a group just let them no or even better ask the other tank 10 to 1 the should no on what ur supposed to do nd will glady tell u but u need to have DBM deadly boss mods from curse installed becuse they will most likly be a set number u taunt from and its a veary helpful addon to have just watch all the fight u want to do before hand and then go raiding
    i love getting my face beatin in, it makes me fell needed -Delons http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e+Co&cn=Delons

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    The above info is all good but I will say that I (and every tank I have paired with) prefer to swap at 4 on Toravon. I'd also mention precious/stinky, usually around 5 stacks and after that as soon as you drop the debuff
    It really doesn't matter. You can taunt on 10 for Toravon and 8 for Stinky if you want. I provided the generally accepted baselines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

An addon called Bosstactics has most raids and bosses included in an in-game format. It outlines their abilities as well as the usual strat. Since there are often many strats, it also let's you change it or add notes to it for the way your guild does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    LOL I have been to 9 stacks in VoA with Toravon, Healers get upset...
    Bah having 9 stacks and surviving is a right of passage for tanks :-)

It's like both tanks having a nub taunting fest on Lady Death and getting 5 debuff's each and surviving ... right of passage in what not to do .. been there done that.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Study the fights you are going to tank. They will give you a good basic overview of what to expect, including taunts. Tankspot.com has lots of videos and guides, check them out.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Study the fights you are going to tank. They will give you a good basic overview of what to expect, including taunts. Tankspot.com has lots of videos and guides, check them out.
    ^This
    If a fight requires more than one tank, you should have read/watched/learned enough about the fight before hand to understand why it requires more than one tank.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread