+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Requesting specific Spec help.

Requesting specific Spec help.

The Basics:

I am leveling a Warrior to serve as another tank for my guild to use, my main is a near 5900 GS (though I never really care about the score, only the progression, TBH). Gearing and Heroic Specs do not concern me, only getting the best possible ICC tank spec.

The Spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LVZGVZ...idIzsGo:dbTMom

The Why:

Having studied the postings of TheckHD over at Maintankadin, I understand that the various incarnations of Demo Shout provide up to 16.7% damage reduction when fully talented. So I picked through to Imp Demo Shout, as I never expect anyone to cover crucial buffs like that when tanking, and 16.7% is a lot, IMO.

This didnt leave much room else where, and I think the only major difference was a move from Imp HS to Focused Rage so that I could spread the cost reduction to most all of the abilities in this case.

I also assumed that Imp Disciplines + GoShield Wall would provide the most useful CD rotations overall, just like my Paladin's 2min Divine Protection.

Again this is mainly an ICC/Boss Tanking spec, I do realize that it is missing a lot of AoE threat and utility, as well as some other Threat building talents. But mt general assumption is that threat isnt so bad that it would make this spec unusable. Then again getting equal "utility" to my paladin, in the warrior tree, is much more difficult, and features much fewer threat talents to use.

Any help and advice is welcome, but do expect me to ask questions that question your reasoning and assumptions. I promise Ill do it as civilly as possible, as I would like to learn what you all know. Paladin can be found here in case you were wondering: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...eam&cn=Straata

Thanks guys,

Straata

I would ditch the glyph of revenge, while a great glyph for leveling you really aren't going to have to worry about rage once you hit ICC, or rather once ICC hits you. for ICC tanking i would take GoVigilance, or GoDevastate for threat. Swapping in GoTaunt where necassary fights.

on a more personal note. i wouldn't take Imp.Disciplines+GoShield wall in ICC, theres only a few periods of huge burst damage in ICC like there was in ulduar or TOC, except LK and festergut, and his encounter favours the unglyphed CD since you're only going to be eating the 3rd inhale once.

The main difference between Warriors and Paladins when it comes to specific "Specs" a Warrior has far to many options. Get the notion of a "Specific Spec" out of your head and rather, spec for what you need.

If your going to be running with a Pally as your OT/MT then Improved Demo is not needed. Vindication gives the same AP debuff as Improved Demo.

Each spec a Warrior can take will increase his utility in different areas. By far the most common spec is the 15/3/53 spec which is mainly focused on threat I would say. The best survivability spec is 5/15/51. If you really want to know what will complement your raid best, look at what debuffs/buffs you already have and build your spec around that.

The spec I run is 15/3/51, but I also pick up Safeguard as I find it to be infinity useful.

As far as glyphs go, again there is no "Set" glyphs. I keep a stack of 10 for every glyph I use and swap in between as I deem necessary.

Glyphs:
    Glyph of Last Stand
    Glyph of Shield Wall
    Glyph of Devastate
    Glyph of Cleave
    Glyph of Blocking
    Glyph of Taunt

All of these glyphs have their strengths and weaknesses depending on the situation.

As the poster above me said Glyph of Revenge really isn't needed and I would recommend you switch glyphs as well. If your looking for threat then Glyph of Devastate is your best bet. It has the highest threat if any of the current glyphs. Not to mention the faster sunder stacking is a very nice quality of life type thing.

The glyphs I run with 75% of the time are Glyph of Shield Wall, Glyph of Last Stand, Glyph of Devastate. Very seldom do I switch from these, and when I do I will tend to remove Last Stand and switch it with Glyph of Taunt.

The above poster mentions how Glyph of Shield Wall isn't needed, which honestly it might not be, but what separates a good tank from a "Great tank" is knowledge and a good use of cooldowns. Therefor the more cooldowns you have at your disposal, the better you can be.

I hope I gave you some insight on your questions. If I wasn't clear or if you have anymore questions feel free to respond here, or PM me if you'd prefer.

As a warrior tank I all but ignore threat glyphs. Trash pulls are manageable without, especially if you're running with another tank class who can keep the lesser mobs angry while you make sure you keep the 2 or 3 big ones occupied.

Shield Wall, Last Stand, and Blocking are the three best survival with one of them being swapped (if you glyph swap) for taunt if needed on taunt fights. The only guy in our 10 man that makes hay with threat is our hunter whose doing 2x as much as anyone else. Vig on him and it's all good.

If you're running dual prot specs, then having an AoE/threat spec with Cleave/Devastate would be an option. But with a single prot spec (if your other is PvP or DPS), unless you're going to swap like mad, I'd focus on survival glpyhs.

Definitely what Solemn said, although I would say that the 15/3/53 spec is more about balance than just threat. Check out the link in my signature too.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

@Solemn

It was recently discovered that a Paladins Vindication is based on our Spell Hit chance, so in order to have 100% uptime you have to have at least 2 Paladins with it in their spec, thats mainly why I picked Imp Demo Shout. However I do see that the glyphs especially would need to be flexible, I already feel that way quite often on my Paladin. I had not considered adding Commanding Pressence, but I must admit it a much better spec than the 5/10/56. Thanks Solemn.

I don't really know enough about Pally's to comment on their mechanics, but I do know that Vindication is up most of the time. I run with one in my 10/25man raids, and it's probably not 100% uptime, but it's got to be up there, 90%.

Double post, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Solemn View Post
    I don't really know enough about Pally's to comment on their mechanics, but I do know that Vindication is up most of the time. I run with one in my 10/25man raids, and it's probably not 100% uptime, but it's got to be up there, 90%.
    Check your logs - you might be surprised. There's a discussion about Vindication uptime here: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

+ Reply to Thread