+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot -- Cataclysm Professions

The Weekly Marmot -- Cataclysm Professions

Not sure if I agree with your thoughts on flasks vs. elixirs in Cataclysm. Blizzard said flasks are still going to be better for a single offensive or defensive stat, so if they are continuing with the current stats on flasks (the new stoneblood and endless rage for example), then I think I am going to prefer those.
    Getting hit in the face by mobs since 2004 - Armory

That's really great to hear about the ZAM join. Keep it up guys ,
    Also the professions skill Level system, It creates alot less imbalance and time consumption.
    'Smash through obstacles, with a heart of gold and a Mind of steel, Nothing can get in my way.'

dodge is yellow

In addition to the removal of defense as a yellow gem, technically defense completely, it will be nice to have a defensive yellow gem. In case you haven't figured out yet, I'm a bear =D. Also, I hope to see a more effective bonus for matching sockets. Gems are a fun little way to say I like this because of that and those aren't good because of stuff. I'm yet to find anyone that has disagreed after a long gemming conversation that any changes they make to their gems will actually be significant. Melikey change.

Quote Originally Posted by philippecote3@live.com View Post
    In addition to the removal of defense as a yellow gem, technically defense completely, it will be nice to have a defensive yellow gem. In case you haven't figured out yet, I'm a bear =D. Also, I hope to see a more effective bonus for matching sockets. Gems are a fun little way to say I like this because of that and those aren't good because of stuff. I'm yet to find anyone that has disagreed after a long gemming conversation that any changes they make to their gems will actually be significant. Melikey change.
    If you are a bear arent you going for agi instead of dodge?

I would not be suprised if they say something like "Ok so you can heal yourself with bandage for 34k but you are geting debuff for 20% less healing recieved next 10sec" , as i doubt they will just make it easy for healers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Iwchas View Post
    I would not be suprised if they say something like "Ok so you can heal yourself with bandage for 34k but you are geting debuff for 20% less healing recieved next 10sec" , as i doubt they will just make it easy for healers :-)
    I think the trick as Lore alluded to that a portion of the healing is coming from a hot that is applied when you use a bandage but if you take damage the hot falls off. Im sure the "recently bandaged" debuff will still be in effect. I personally think they heal for so much is to keep them relevant up to the final raid. Doubt anything will change people have used bandages before, healers are suppose to have effective mana for 5-6 minutes from what i hear (dont quote me). I dont think having a stack of bandages will be required though will be appreciated.

Not sure if I agree with your thoughts on flasks vs. elixirs in Cataclysm. Blizzard said flasks are still going to be better for a single offensive or defensive stat, so if they are continuing with the current stats on flasks (the new stoneblood and endless rage for example), then I think I am going to prefer those.
    Lets say i have 100 attack power and 100 HP. With a flask my new HP will be 200. But with elixers i can achieve 175 HP and 175 attack power. Now the down side is that i have to have two separate stacks of elixers which are probably as difficult to make as flasks which disappear if i die unlike flasks which are persistent until they expire. This is a good choice if you are on a boss that your guild might consider as the "brick wall'. The smaller HP boost is compensated by more attack power which gets modified by Vengeance from Mastery that allows me to increase my threat output and allow my dpsers more breathing room as well as more damage output which allows the boss to die sooner hopefully before my healers go oom.

"I am so freaking swirly" at the end was win.
    "If the tank dies, it's the healers fault. If the healer dies, it's the tanks fault. If the dps dies, it's their own damn fault!"

Quote Originally Posted by philippecote3@live.com View Post
    Also, I hope to see a more effective bonus for matching sockets.
    I agree that the current socket bonus thing is lackluster, but I have a different solution: get rid of them altogether. Get rid of the color-coded sockets. The whole color-coded sockets and socket bonuses thing just messes people up more than it helps them.

I can't tell you how many players I've seen socketing spirit or MP5 in gear just because there's a blue socket, and they think they have to put a blue gem in there. Or make bad gemming choices just to get that (not) uber +4 haste bonus, assuming that it must be good, or it wouldn't be there. And they're right: the current socket color/socket bonus system just mousetraps people into making bad choices, and that doesn't mesh with trying to make a game that is more intuitive.

In order to allow players to be good, you have to allow players to be bad. There need to be areas in the game where players can make wrong choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    In order to allow players to be good, you have to allow players to be bad. There need to be areas in the game where players can make wrong choices.
    I'm not advocating making it impossible for someone to make a bad choice. There are so many ways that someone can make bad or uninformed choices, there's no real reason to put a system in place that encourages people to make more of them. Taking that encouragement out of the system still won't stop (for example) a hunter wearing a tanking neck piece. Their gross ignorance can still show through just fine.

I see a lot of average players who get confused about the color-coded socketing system, folks who do everything else pretty much right. It's a kind of false complexity I feel has no place in the game. I'm sure it wasn't intended to be that way by Blizzard, but that's what it has turned out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    I see a lot of average players who get confused about the color-coded socketing system, folks who do everything else pretty much right. It's a kind of false complexity I feel has no place in the game. I'm sure it wasn't intended to be that way by Blizzard, but that's what it has turned out to be.
    I have a friend who not otherwise retarded who literally insists on matching every single socket bonus, no matter how terrible the bonus or what kind of hoops he has to jump through to get it. A ranged DPS socketing stamina gems to get a stamina socket bonus makes me die a little inside.

It's not even a question of knowledge, because I've called him out on it so many times that it's become a running joke. I thought at one point he was doing it just to annoy me, but now I really think it comes down to obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I think the design intent with socket bonuses is to encourage you to gem your gear in a more well-rounded way. In a world where to meet a reasonable standard of performance you have to meet fixed caps and then gem the living Jesus out of one-stat-to-rule-them-all, that's just bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    The smaller HP boost is compensated by more attack power which gets modified by Vengeance from Mastery that allows me to increase my threat output and allow my dpsers more breathing room as well as more damage output which allows the boss to die sooner hopefully before my healers go oom.
    That's assuming threat will be an issue, which remains to be seen. If threat isn't an issue like now, then yes; I prefer the hp boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mior View Post
    That's assuming threat will be an issue, which remains to be seen. If threat isn't an issue like now, then yes; I prefer the hp boost.
    I doubt threat will become something akin to BC days though i wouldnt be surprised with classes like mages and hunters who have an aggro dump having to dump their aggro less in the fight. Not to mention your damage output goes up by 75% of your attack power. If we are talking about a world that takes multiple hits to kill a tank unlike WoLK then yes 75% more attack power is a better boost than the 25% HP.

I don't know, if I looked at Wrath bandages in TBC I would have been a little shocked at how much they gave. The Wrath ones give like 9k right? That was half the health pool of my T5 Warrior. Health pools have effectively doubled since then (and more) and I expect they will again at least in Cata. I expect to have at least 90-100k HP by the 3rd tier of content, and those bandages won't seem so big afterwards. Also it is a 3rd level bandage, which is a first so it's expected to be bigger than normal. So I think it's going to be pretty good, but it's not going to be as amazing as it's made out to be.

I don't really know any warrior minor glyphs that come close to being as good as major ones.

Also i really doubt bandages will ever have a wider array of use in PvE, here's to hoping i'm wrong though.

If we are talking about a world that takes multiple hits to kill a tank unlike WoLK then yes 75% more attack power is a better boost than the 25% HP.
    I don't see how sacrificing survivability over wasted threat is ever a good thing, but at this point its all speculation. We will have to see how the values pan out and what kind of new flasks/elixirs there are will be, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mior View Post
    I don't see how sacrificing survivability over wasted threat is ever a good thing, but at this point its all speculation. We will have to see how the values pan out and what kind of new flasks/elixirs there are will be, if any.
    1) Unlike WoLK death isn't a hair away after every hit
    2) More damage means the boss dies faster which prevents healers going oom (You get more damage which translates to more threat hence the higher ceiling the dps get to work with)
    3) Factor in Vengeance and you can do some good damage, look at what Druids are doing now that's where all the tanks are slated to be moved to

2) More damage means the boss dies faster which prevents healers going oom (You get more damage which translates to more threat hence the higher ceiling the dps get to work with)
    Yes that is obvious, and you already mentioned it. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand.

But lets agree to disagree, the discussion is rather pointless without having the actual numbers to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    I'm not advocating making it impossible for someone to make a bad choice. There are so many ways that someone can make bad or uninformed choices
    If a player chooses to gem in ways which are generally not advocated and can achieve the same results or better, then who is to say they are incorrect? As Lore has reiterated numerous times throughout his videos, the value a player brings to the table is not based on their gear, it is the ability to play their class. This has been true since the start of WoW and it's predecessors.

+ Reply to Thread